Tangerine Interest Rate Lottery thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 2:08 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1865 posts
1262 upvotes
GTA
Currently on 2.75% with Tangerine until mid Jan. Time to transfer to my Simplii Account. To bad I can only do $50K a day.
Jan 3, 2013
919 posts
475 upvotes
Mississauga
kasm wrote: Currently on 2.75% with Tangerine until mid Jan. Time to transfer to my Simplii Account. To bad I can only do $50K a day.
You can call in and transfer everything out.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
looking4deals1 wrote: You can call in and transfer everything out.
Yup. Even better that gives them an opportunity to respond. They may not match Simplii's 3.2% but they should be able to do 3%. Do the math before you call to decide if that's good enough.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
looking4deals1 wrote: You can call in and transfer everything out.
Yup. Even better that gives them an opportunity to respond. They may not match Simplii's 3.2% but they should be able to do 3%. Do the math before you call to decide if that's good enough.
Better yet, if TING will give you 3% for 180 days (to around the end of Apr19) here's how to maximize your returns and keep your options open:
1. Accept TING's offer and leave your money there.
2. The next day call TING and have them move your money out to Simplii. Now you've got 3.2% to 28Feb19.
3. At the end of Feb or early Mar see what Simplii has to offer. If it's not at least 3%, move your money back to TING where it will earn 3% for about 2 months.
4. At the end of Apr you've been earning an average of ~3.1% for 6 months and you're free to jump on the best offer at that time.
5. Profit.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 3, 2012
295 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: Yup. Even better that gives them an opportunity to respond. They may not match Simplii's 3.2% but they should be able to do 3%. Do the math before you call to decide if that's good enough.

3.15% > Simplii
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5865 posts
3138 upvotes
Winnipeg
bylo wrote: Better yet, if TING will give you 3% for 180 days (to around the end of Apr19) here's how to maximize your returns and keep your options open:
1. Accept TING's offer and leave your money there.
2. The next day call TING and have them move your money out to Simplii. Now you've got 3.2% to 28Feb19.
3. At the end of Feb or early Mar see what Simplii has to offer. If it's not at least 3%, move your money back to TING where it will earn 3% for about 2 months.
4. At the end of Apr you've been earning an average of ~3.1% for 6 months and you're free to jump on the best offer at that time.
5. Profit.
With rising rates we should see at least 3.5% by next March
Lucky Mobile | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5865 posts
3138 upvotes
Winnipeg
just called tangerine and best rate the rep could offer is 1.6% for 90 days, while my current promo is 2.5%.
What a joke? asked him to move all my money to simplii.
Lucky Mobile | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Wpegger wrote: With rising rates we should see at least 3.5% by next March
The "experts" have been predicting rising interest rates for the past 20 years. Eventually they'll be right. But until then I'll believe it only when I see it. Instead I'll keep my money liquid, my options open and only lend my cash to the highest CDIC-insured bidder.
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
Nov 1, 2018
43 posts
19 upvotes
Simplii Financial is now giving 3.15 % to both new and existing customer's.

Existing customers is for new net deposits.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
My 2.5% is ending Nov. 30. When can I expect to see my next bonus interest offer in my online banking?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
minimalist wrote: My 2.5% is ending Nov. 30. When can I expect to see my next bonus interest offer in my online banking?
As has been suggested many times upthread, call TING, mention that you've seen offers of 3% to 3.2% from TD, RBC, Simplii, etc. and you'd like to move your money. There's a good chance they'll get someone from "retentions" (;)) to call you back with 3% for 180 days.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2304 posts
950 upvotes
Hopefully people bank run Tangerine and move all their money to Simplii to force Tangerine to be more competitive.
Jul 2, 2015
262 posts
146 upvotes
OTTAWA,ON
bylo wrote: As has been suggested many times upthread, call TING, mention that you've seen offers of 3% to 3.2% from TD, RBC, Simplii, etc. and you'd like to move your money. There's a good chance they'll get someone from "retentions" (;)) to call you back with 3% for 180 days.
Just curious, but why do you keep on trying time & time again,day after day, pounding the Tangerine Table, to convince readers to keep on bending over backwards and stick with a firm that keeps targeting a select few ? :twisted:

Simplii, CDIC covered, as you so rightfully demand, is offering 3.15% and you're still screaming, TING, TING ,TING, please phone them and beg.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
After playing telephone tag with Tangerine for two weeks, I accepted the 3% offer a few days ago. Then tonight Tangerine called me *again* to offer me 3.15% for 120 days or I could keep the 3% for 180 days. I took the 3.15%. Anyone else get that call?
Jan 23, 2009
946 posts
1932 upvotes
Ontario
parclub wrote: Just curious, but why do you keep on trying time & time again,day after day, pounding the Tangerine Table, to convince readers to keep on bending over backwards and stick with a firm that keeps targeting a select few ? :twisted:

Simplii, CDIC covered, as you so rightfully demand, is offering 3.15% and you're still screaming, TING, TING ,TING, please phone them and beg.
+1

CIBC 3%
RBC 3.15%
BNS 3.20%
Simplii 3.15%
Meridian 3.15%
Duca 3.25%

Wfcu, Omnia 3.4% 1 year GIC
Meridian 3.25% one year gic
Alterna oaken Eq all one year gic 3%
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
parclub wrote: Just curious, but why do you keep on trying time & time again,day after day, pounding the Tangerine Table, to convince readers to keep on bending over backwards and stick with a firm that keeps targeting a select few ? :twisted:

Because...
1. This is the TING thread, not the Simplii thread.
2. The poster asked about his TING offer expiring 30Nov.
3. He may or not have a Simplii account.
4. He may or not be in my situation, i.e. have a Simplii account but didn't get the offer. (In which case we'd have to call Simpli rather than TING. But we'd still be phoning and we'd still be grovelling (to CIBC rather than BNS.))
5. A 15bp difference for 4 months on $10k is $5. So depending on the amount in question it may or not be worth the effort of moving,

Is that enough reasons? ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
If I pull money using Tangerine from HSBC High Interest Savings does anyone know if the money will be withdrawn from HSBC on the same day that it's credited to Tangerine?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
minimalist wrote: If I pull money using Tangerine from HSBC High Interest Savings does anyone know if the money will be withdrawn from HSBC on the same day that it's credited to Tangerine?
The fastest way to do it which many should do instead of the move my money feature is just e-transfer it to yourself
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
minimalist wrote: If I pull money using Tangerine from HSBC High Interest Savings does anyone know if the money will be withdrawn from HSBC on the same day that it's credited to Tangerine?
At least one bus. day.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2012
1071 posts
226 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: The fastest way to do it which many should do instead of the move my money feature is just e-transfer it to yourself
Do they actually have a limit on e-transfer? Most of the banks has $3000 limit per day I think.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)