Personal Finance

Tangerine Interest Rate Lottery thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 3:03 pm
May 28, 2013
174 posts
185 upvotes
I missed the 3.35% Manulife sign up so I called Tangerine to see what their best offer would be. The Back Office Team (Retention) offered 2.5% on Savings, TFSA, and RSP Accounts for 6 months. Minimum balance in the savings account must be $50,000 or more to maintain the 2.5% rate on all accounts. If the balance falls below $50,000, it reverts to the regular rate for all accounts until the savings account balance reaches $50,000 where the promo 2.5% rate starts again. Basically have to keep $50,000 or more always in the savings account to get this rate.

Not the greatest offer but I'll keep an eye out for anything better that comes along.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
I just logged in and got the 2.75% offer until Dec 31st. Many months that I didn't receive any offer.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2019
1858 posts
2304 upvotes
Is their any noticeable pattern with Tangerine offers? For ex - X days after expiry of current promotion etc.
Vacationing
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2019
1858 posts
2304 upvotes
Received "2.4% if money over 50k in non-registered savings account" offer from Tangerine Insights. Was really hoping for 3% offer. Time to move TFSA to Motus.
Vacationing
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2304 posts
950 upvotes
Honestly the only way to get Tangerine to give people more offers is by remembering to pull your funds out when their promos end.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Shadow Rider wrote: Honestly the only way to get Tangerine to give people more offers is by remembering to pull your funds out when their promos end.
Honestly that doesn't work. At least it doesn't work consistently. I can confirm that from personal experience that goes back to ~2005 when ING started playing these games.

TING's algorithm remains a mystery to RFDers. Every theory that has been posted on RFD has been disproved by at least one other poster.

Try again.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
3540 posts
879 upvotes
Don't be nosey
Are there currently any Tangerine promos? I called Tangerine and they said there's nothing on my account. I don't believe one bit as I've been offered a promo rate for the past few years :s
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
RunOrDie wrote: Are there currently any Tangerine promos? I called Tangerine and they said there's nothing on my account. I don't believe one bit as I've been offered a promo rate for the past few years :s
If you have a substantial amount of money, sau upwards of $50k, ask them to escalate to their retentions department before you move your money to Motive (2.8%) or some other competitor. (That's not what they call the department but the CSR will understand.) You should get a call and a promo offer within a day or two. If not, vote with your feet.
veni, vidi, Visa
May 24, 2018
799 posts
757 upvotes
Ontario
August Tangerine Lottery (targeted offer) drawn - 2.75% on new deposit from Aug 7, 2019 until end-of-january 2020

P.S. Those who received the offer should see it under Insights after logged in. And if you do, don't forget to "activate" before Aug 31, 2019
Last edited by hwyc2007 on Aug 7th, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
1717 posts
529 upvotes
^ same, after almost over a year and leaving the account empty since I got the 2.75% offer as well.
Jun 7, 2019
43 posts
20 upvotes
Unsuspectingly got the 2.75% offer until January 2020 as well - problem is, my emergency funds are still in my savings account and the offer stipulates:

"The Offer is available on Eligible Deposits made between August 7, 2019 and January 31, 2020"

Is there a way for me to take advantage of this offer? What if I:

1. Transfer the funds to my Chequing account today
2. Activate the offer
3. Transfer back the funds to my Saving account tomorrow

Would that count as a new deposit?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4191 posts
5293 upvotes
on the links!
Just logged on...didn't get the offer.Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Whew! Since all my money is tied up with Manulife until January, I don't want any of their arbitrary, algorithmic bullshit offers until at least 6 months from now.
Nov 10, 2011
203 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
GTAExplorer wrote: Unsuspectingly got the 2.75% offer until January 2020 as well - problem is, my emergency funds are still in my savings account and the offer stipulates:

"The Offer is available on Eligible Deposits made between August 7, 2019 and January 31, 2020"

2. Activate the offer

curious about this as well!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7988 posts
11548 upvotes
GTAExplorer wrote: Unsuspectingly got the 2.75% offer until January 2020 as well - problem is, my emergency funds are still in my savings account and the offer stipulates:

2. Activate the offer

They take a snapshot of your account before they give you the offer.
May 24, 2018
799 posts
757 upvotes
Ontario
@GTAExplorer - Answer to your question is "unfortunately no". However, you don't have to "activate" if you don't want to. By allowing current offer to expire *may* keep you in the lottery pool for the next draw. ...my thoughts only.

[2019-8-8] Or alternatively, you could contribute to TFSA Savings or RSP Savings Account with money from Savings Account, provided you have the contribution room. Activate the standing offer, Promotional Interest should apply to the *new* money in the registered accounts.
Last edited by hwyc2007 on Aug 8th, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal
Do these new offers sent today include US$?
Wealthsimple Premium
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
S5 wrote: Do these new offers sent today include US$?
Only if the offer explicitly says so. And it's unlikely to say so because the base rate on $US deposits (0.45%) is substantially lower than the base rate for $CA (1.150.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 7, 2019
337 posts
248 upvotes
I didn't get it but my money is with Manulife for now. Hopefully they won't lower their promotion again.
I believe it is a mistake to judge the quality of a decision solely by its outcome. Good decisions (i.e. lumpsum investing) can have "bad" outcomes and bad decisions can have good outcomes simply because of luck— Germack

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)