• Dec 16th, 2018 2:27 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14076 posts
6492 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
minimalist wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 4:37 pm
How do you know that there's no longer a lottery?
I'm inferring it from posts made in the past few months, all of whom say they got 2.5% for 180 days when they called.

How do you know that there's still a lottery?
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2079 posts
457 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 4:55 pm
I'm inferring it from posts made in the past few months, all of whom say they got 2.5% for 180 days when they called.

Gentleman's bet?
HSBC World Elite Mastercard
3% travel/1.5% everything else, Mastercard acceptance
31 day medical insurance, trip cxl, trip interrupt
Discuss here
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14076 posts
6492 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
minimalist wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 4:57 pm
Gentleman's bet?
I'm not a betting person. If there's still a lottery at TING then it doesn't seem like there have been many winners recently.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1496 posts
381 upvotes
Toronto
I'd make the argument that the Tangerlotto is still alive, just that it's different now in the current incarnation and less predictable than previous years where you could reasonably surmise that at the end of each 90 day period the chances of you getting a new lottery rate that was the same as everyone else was fairly good. Now since 2018, different groups get different rates for different lengths of time. So it's still a lottery since not every single client gets it, just that now you don't know when it'll come or for what rate you'll receive, or for how long. For instance, I saw some people at the end of April start getting 2.75% until Nov/Dec 2018. Others like myself received a 2.5% extension from June 2018 until March 2019. Then some other people got 2.5% for only 180 days etc. If it seemed random before, now it's even more random.

Tangerine lotto is "like a box of chocolates...."
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1390 posts
285 upvotes
"Your estimated wait time is 30min or more"....at 9pm. Wow. Looks like wait time has only gotten worse not better at this bank.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
664 posts
336 upvotes
ontario
minimalist wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 4:37 pm
How do you know that there's no longer a lottery?
We will know this Wednesday or Thursday.
Feb 2, 2007
511 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 4:55 pm

In my case, Tangerine called me this spring to offer 2.75% on the entire balance until Nov 30.
In the summer, they offered an extension until January 7, 2.75% on the entire balance. I took it.
Today, they called me again, offering either 3% on a 1 year GIC, or 3% on the entire balance for the next 6 months. I took the latter option.

ISA balance: mid 6 figures.
Interest rate good up to a million dollars.

Is this a lottery? I don't know, but it works for me!
Nov 17, 2015
305 posts
45 upvotes
Resolute, NU
Shadow Rider wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 9:17 pm
"Your estimated wait time is 30min or more"....at 9pm. Wow. Looks like wait time has only gotten worse not better at this bank.
LIVE CHAT seems a lot quicker. Got it all done within five minutes this morning.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3175 posts
1002 upvotes
Global Village
I'm currently on the 2.75% savings offer till Jan and also got a call offering me the 1-year 3% GIC, they said it's only available once and on non-registered $.
All day I dream about sports
Banned
Oct 1, 2018
26 posts
6 upvotes
adrian2 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 10:43 am
In my case, Tangerine called me this spring to offer 2.75% on the entire balance until Nov 30.
In the summer, they offered an extension until January 7, 2.75% on the entire balance. I took it.
Today, they called me again, offering either 3% on a 1 year GIC, or 3% on the entire balance for the next 6 months. I took the latter option.

Did you threaten to move the money ?

I am at 2.5 % till November 30, with Tangerine. Got it in June for 180 days.

Not sure if they will give me 3 % now in the middle of my promo or not.

Or I have to wait till November 30 to negotiate a better deal. I a leaning towards the 3 % from RBC, but if Tangerine offers me 2.75 % to 3 %, I will stay with them.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14076 posts
6492 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
adrian2 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 10:43 am

Interesting ;)

They only offered me 2.5% on way over the CDIC limit. I'll have to do some exploring of other options then call them to move my money out unless they match the 3%.

So it's not a lottery in the old sense but it's still a lottery of sorts. Bastards!
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Feb 2, 2007
511 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
Netflixkid wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 3:10 pm
Did you threaten to move the money ?

I am at 2.5 % till November 30, with Tangerine. Got it in June for 180 days.

Not sure if they will give me 3 % now in the middle of my promo or not.

Or I have to wait till November 30 to negotiate a better deal. I a leaning towards the 3 % from RBC, but if Tangerine offers me 2.75 % to 3 %, I will stay with them.
I did not threaten them, remember they called me with the offer, not the other way around.
Banned
Oct 1, 2018
26 posts
6 upvotes
adrian2 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 3:18 pm
I did not threaten them, remember they called me with the offer, not the other way around.
Lot of people threatened to move the money & the front line CSR said the marketing people will be calling them later. The CSR did not have the power to give them 3 % , but the marketing guys, who called them later offered them 3 %, based on the CSR notes.

Your case might be different. They must have seen a pattern, where you move money in and out close to promotion ending, hence they called you on their own.
Banned
Oct 1, 2018
26 posts
6 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 3:13 pm
Interesting ;)

They only offered me 2.5% on way over the CDIC limit. I'll have to do some exploring of other options then call them to move my money out unless they match the 3%.

So it's not a lottery in the old sense but it's still a lottery of sorts. Bastards!
Move the money anyway over the phone & call their bluff & wait for a call.

Lot of people threatened to move the money & the front line CSR said the marketing people will be calling them later. The CSR did not have the power to give them 3 % , but the marketing guys, who called them later offered them 3 %, based on the CSR notes.
Sep 6, 2009
502 posts
130 upvotes
I have two saving accounts maxed out at previous 500K limit. I called in and politely asked for a match of TD's 3.2%. They called me back within 2 hours and offered 3% for 6 months + increase current limit beyond 1 mil.