Personal Finance

The 3 Month Tangerine Lottery thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2018 10:18 pm
Apr 26, 2018
11 posts
1 upvote
I got 3% for 180 days for saving account from the marketing people that called me back. Frontline support couldn't give it.
They said there's no offer at all on the rate for TFSA accounts at the moment.

For registered funds, there seems to be a promo: if you transfer 25000$ to them from another bank before Oct 31, 2018 and leave it there until Dec 31, 2018, they give you 250$ cash.
Feb 2, 2007
513 posts
302 upvotes
GTA
Netflixkid wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 3:26 pm
Lot of people threatened to move the money & the front line CSR said the marketing people will be calling them later. The CSR did not have the power to give them 3 % , but the marketing guys, who called them later offered them 3 %, based on the CSR notes.

Your case might be different. They must have seen a pattern, where you move money in and out close to promotion ending, hence they called you on their own.
You made me dig through my Quicken records to find the pattern. It was mostly bouncing between PC Financial and Tangerine.
Recent history:
- from late 2016 to April 2017, Tangerine (old lottery)
- from April 2017 to October 2017, PC Financial
- from October 2017 to November 2017, Tangerine (old lottery)
- from November 2017 to February 2018, Simplii launch 3%
- from March 2018 to April 2018, Tangerine (old lottery @ 2.5%, IIRC invited in January, but stayed with Simplii until March for their better rate)
- from April 2018, Tangerine call with 2.75% for about 6 months
- around June / July 2018 Tangerine call with 2.75% until January
- today October 2018 Tangerine call with 3% for 6 months
Banned
Oct 1, 2018
26 posts
6 upvotes
dadizhu wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 5:00 pm
I have two saving accounts maxed out at previous 500K limit. I called in and politely asked for a match of TD's 3.2%. They called me back within 2 hours and offered 3% for 6 months + increase current limit beyond 1 mil.
razer911 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 5:55 pm
I got 3% for 180 days for saving account from the marketing people that called me back. Frontline support couldn't give it.

For registered funds, there seems to be a promo: if you transfer 25000$ to them from another bank before Oct 31, 2018 and leave it there until Dec 31, 2018, they give you 250$ cash.
bylo wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 3:13 pm
Interesting ;)

They only offered me 2.5% on way over the CDIC limit. I'll have to do some exploring of other options then call them to move my money out unless they match the 3%.

So it's not a lottery in the old sense but it's still a lottery of sorts. Bastards!
See post's above you :)
Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
5176 posts
1366 upvotes
razer911 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 5:55 pm

Same here .... on 1 million (instead of 500 K), that didn't matter to me anyhow at this point. :)

My money was on the way to TD's 3.20% promotion already however. I could have Stopped the cheque... but didn't ...

Most of the money now at TD's 3.20% promo ... until Dec 31.

30 K or so left at Tangerine Savings... I accepted 3% for 6 months offer regardless.
Oct 8, 2006
398 posts
134 upvotes
Okanagan Valley
bylo wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 3:13 pm
Interesting ;)

They only offered me 2.5% on way over the CDIC limit. I'll have to do some exploring of other options then call them to move my money out unless they match the 3%.

So it's not a lottery in the old sense but it's still a lottery of sorts. Bastards!
After reading some of the above posts....called Tangerine simply mentioned was thinking of moving my money to either RBC or TD for their current promos as I only have 2.5% now....front line guy said he couldn't do anything but I mentioned I had heard their special marketing team may be able to match the 3% rates...he said...oh, do you want me to send them an email....well yeah....he did and they called back within 2 hours and asked what could they do for me...again mentioned RBC and TD....gave me 3% for 6 months effective with 24-48 hours on existing and new deposits ....conversation over and done with within 3-4 minutes...I have over over CDIC limits on deposit as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2047 posts
518 upvotes
Edmonton
happy camper wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 7:18 pm
After reading some of the above posts....called Tangerine simply mentioned was thinking of moving my money to either RBC or TD for their current promos as I only have 2.5% now....front line guy said he couldn't do anything but I mentioned I had heard their special marketing team may be able to match the 3% rates...he said...oh, do you want me to send them an email....well yeah....he did and they called back within 2 hours and asked what could they do for me...again mentioned RBC and TD....gave me 3% for 6 months effective with 24-48 hours on existing and new deposits ....conversation over and done with within 3-4 minutes...I have over over CDIC limits on deposit as well.
+1 Got same answer from front CSR and with an offer of "2.5% for a 9 month GIC"...wtf. Anyhow asked nicely about a special marketing team. She put me on hold for a few minutes then came back saying what's best number and time for a callback within the next 2 days...... patiently waiting......hopefully next few hours!!!!! Thanks Happy Camper, hope I become a happy camper too!!!!!
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14107 posts
6524 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
happy camper wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 7:18 pm
Thank you for that. I'm out of the country right now but next week I'll call them and try the same gambit. My external account is with TD so I'll use their offer to try to move TING up 50bp.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Jul 2, 2015
207 posts
71 upvotes
OTTAWA,ON
I didn't bother phoning in and begging, I simply opened an account at RBC for the 6 month, 3% offer and will slowly move everything out (the maximum daily amount without having to phone in ), except for a dollar.
It only took a few minutes to open the RBC account.

I have been with TING since the beginning and have noticed that I get better offers only after moving all funds out. For some reason if I just
leave the funds in place they seem to take the attitude that I'm happy with the status quo and never offer anything.

Besides, I'm getting fed up with their silliness and long waits on the phone. In today's world, there are just too many alternatives available.Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2047 posts
518 upvotes
Edmonton
frankmp wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 8:37 pm

+1 Got same answer from front CSR and with an offer of "2.5% for a 9 month GIC"...wtf. Anyhow asked nicely about a special marketing team. She put me on hold for a few minutes then came back saying what's best number and time for a callback within the next 2 days...... patiently waiting......hopefully next few hours!!!!! Thanks Happy Camper, hope I become a happy camper too!!!!!
UPDATE: special marketing or whomever in the back room called back this morning.. Offered 3% to end of March. With another offer of a 3% 1 year GIC anytime this month. Also increased limit to $1M..... not that we need it..... officially a "Happy Camper". Smiling Face With Open Mouth THanks all for the tip!!
parclub wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 10:50 am
I didn't bother phoning in and begging
I have been with TING since the beginning
We've been clients of TING for awhile too. We stooped to begging as it was significant in our case. And it only cost us about 20 minutes of my time! (which isnt worth much :twisted:
Banned
Oct 4, 2018
15 posts
1 upvote
parclub wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 10:50 am
I didn't bother phoning in and begging, I simply opened an account at RBC for the 6 month, 3% offer and will slowly move everything out (the maximum daily amount without having to phone in ), except for a dollar.
It only took a few minutes to open the RBC account.

I have been with TING since the beginning and have noticed that I get better offers only after moving all funds out. For some reason if I just
leave the funds in place they seem to take the attitude that I'm happy with the status quo and never offer anything.

Besides, I'm getting fed up with their silliness and long waits on the phone. In today's world, there are just too many alternatives available.Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Do you have a RBC checking account also? If not, how are you going to directly link the RBC esavings account to Tangerine to move money in & out ?

I believe RBC also charges you some $ 5 for each withdrawal to a non RBC account.
Jul 2, 2015
207 posts
71 upvotes
OTTAWA,ON
I believe you are allowed 1 free withdrawal per month, yes,after that it's $5/ per withdrawal. I really couldn't care less because I'm only going to use the account to deposit
the funds untouched for 6 months.

I guess there comes a time that one gets so fed up with the Tangerine arrogance that it becomes time to just move on, regardless.
Banned
Oct 4, 2018
15 posts
1 upvote
parclub wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 4:44 pm
I believe you are allowed 1 free withdrawal per month, yes,after that it's $5/ per withdrawal. I really couldn't care less because I'm only going to use the account to deposit
the funds untouched for 6 months.

I guess there comes a time that one gets so fed up with the Tangerine arrogance that it becomes time to just move on, regardless.
I will do that too. If just Online I can directly link the RBC esavings account to my Tangerine. I think I will be able to push & pull from the Tangerine side.

I hope I can just link it directly as an external account/link from Tangerine side with 2 micro deposits made by Tangerine & confirmed by me :). And there is No void check etc asked for, as esavings won't have any checks.
Jun 11, 2015
208 posts
134 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
macboy wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 4:51 pm
I will do that too. If just Online I can directly link the RBC esavings account to my Tangerine. I think I will be able to push & pull from the Tangerine side.

I hope I can just link it directly as an external account/link from Tangerine side with 2 micro deposits made by Tangerine & confirmed by me :). And there is No void check etc asked for, as esavings won't have any checks.
I've linked them.

Is there a maximum for these e-transfers? IE: Can I transfer out 200k from RBC in one go to save the fee?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1153 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
TWELVES wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 7:20 pm
I've linked them.

Is there a maximum for these e-transfers? IE: Can I transfer out 200k from RBC in one go to save the fee?
Tangerine accepts up to 1 million per EFT transaction.
Banned
Oct 4, 2018
15 posts
1 upvote
TWELVES wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 7:20 pm
I've linked them.

you can pull out any amount from RBC from the Tangerine side.