Personal Finance

The 3 Month Tangerine Lottery thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2018 10:34 am
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
3067 posts
890 upvotes
got a call today with 3% offer for 180 days and this after most of my money went over to RBC already. At the end I decided to keep them at RBC as too much hassle transferring them back for the same rate. I will take my chances with BoC raising 0.25% on Oct 24 and see if better offer coming out (may Simplii for 3.5%)
May 31, 2018
66 posts
95 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Couple of things with Tangerine this week...

After getting only 2.5 in chat I phoned in looking for a better interest rate, and did get a call back with the 3% offer and increase to $1m. He said it might take 3 business days to show up on my account details which seems a bit odd, as all other offers have shown up nearly instantly. I guess I'll play their games for a little longer for 3%, I just wish this marketing crap would end and we could just get their highest possible rate without the hoop jumping.

We also have a business savings account at TNG that we don't utilize much as the interest rates there have generally sucked. I remember seeing a lottery offer/insight for better rates that popped up this summer, but it no longer showed up so I asked on chat if there were any better rates available, and received a nice "No, but we'll forward your feedback to the appropriate department". Hmmm. Anyways, I was clicking around the site thinking maybe a business GIC might work and found they no longer offer Business Accounts of any sort, and trying to open anything new online brought up an error message. Any idea when this happened?
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
637 posts
290 upvotes
ontario
is the 3% for 180 days apply to register account as well? would anyone please confirmed that and thank you
May 31, 2018
66 posts
95 upvotes
Saskatchewan
When I asked about better rates for TFSA accounts he directed me to their GIC offerings and said there was nothing else available. And I remember now that at the beginning of the conversation he brought up GIC's also. As I thought months ago, they seem to want out of the HISA game and would prefer everyone to buy into GIC's, most likely (read: definitely) for the stability they offer Tangerine vs any benefit to us.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17761 posts
2457 upvotes
GTA West
LOL man.
I pulled the money from Tangerine into Meridian's 3.15% offer.
The VERY NEXT DAY I received a voice mail from Tangerine, asking me to call them about a special interest rate offer.
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy

Edit:
I called in. They offered a 3% GIC for 12 months.
I countered saying that HSBC is offering 3.5% without a GIC. They actually knew about the HSBC offer, countering that it is only 2 months.
Then I stated that Meridian is offer 3.15% for 6 months, but the agent again stated their offer is 12 months.
I didn't take the GIC offer stating that maybe I want to spend the money before 12 months, expecting to then receive an offer for a non-GIC special rate.
The Tangerine Agent stated that the GIC is the only offer for me and there are no other offers that are not a GIC.
The agent stated that they will note on my profile that I declined the GIC. So I don't know if that will prevent me from getting other offers in the future.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Oct 13th, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Mar 12, 2009
158 posts
58 upvotes
Ontario
bylo wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 8:40 pm
Thank you for that. I'm out of the country right now but next week I'll call them and try the same gambit. My external account is with TD so I'll use their offer to try to move TING up 50bp.
Successfully followed this script from a post somewhere in this thread:
I called Tangerine simply mentioned was thinking of moving my money to either RBC or TD for their current promos as I only have 2.5% now....front line guy said he couldn't do anything but I mentioned I had heard their special marketing team may be able to match the 3% rates...he said...oh, do you want me to send them an email....well yeah....he did and they called back within 2 hours and asked what could they do for me...again mentioned RBC and TD....gave me 3% for 6 months effective with 24-48 hours on existing and new deposits ....conversation over and done with within 3-4 minutes.
First CSR said that "special marketing team" did not exist. He passed me on to a different CSR (supervisor I think) who said the team is internally known as the "Task Force". The call from "Task Force" came a day later. They wanted me to lock in with a 1 year GIC. I refused and then the 3% for 180 days came next. It is for a Non Registered Savings account . YMMV
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Oct 8, 2006
388 posts
122 upvotes
Okanagan Valley
leocleoc wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 1:13 pm
Successfully followed this script from a post somewhere in this thread:

First CSR said that "special marketing team" did not exist. He passed me on to a different CSR (supervisor I think) who said the team is internally known as the "Task Force". The call from "Task Force" came a day later. They wanted me to lock in with a 1 year GIC. I refused and then the 3% for 180 days came next. It is for a Non Registered Savings account . YMMV
I'm glad the "Force" was with you Smiling Face With Open MouthSmiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13389 posts
5786 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
leocleoc wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 1:13 pm
Successfully followed this script from a post somewhere in this thread... YMMV
Thanks for reminding me. I just called TING.

Some additional info that may be useful to others...

Their IVR system said they were backed up and it would take at least 30 minutes to get an agent. They offered to do a call-back. I chose that option and got a call within 5 minutes. So it seems this could be a way to jump the queue.

When I spoke to the agent I mentioned (a) that I got 2.5% when I renewed my promo back in September, (b) that TD has a 3.2% offer and (c) that a friend who is also a TING customer told me he got a call from TING offering him 3% for 180 days. I asked the agent how I could get more than the 2.5%. I didn't threaten to move money out. I just asked politely what they could do for me.

At first she said she couldn't do anything. But then she volunteered that she could get someone at TING to call me back (in 2-3 business) days who she thought could do the 3%. She then put me on hold while she sent a message to that "someone."

We'll see what happens. But the agent seemed pretty confident that TING would do better than 2.5%. She didn't even bother to qualify with words like "might" or "maybe" or get "as much as" 3%. So I'm optimistic that whoever calls will give me the 3% for 180 days.

Waiting patiently...
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
2713 posts
551 upvotes
I got a call back. I'm still stuck at 2%. Where is a good place to move the money to?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1598 posts
278 upvotes
FarmerHarv wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 9:47 am
Couple of things with Tangerine this week...

After getting only 2.5 in chat I phoned in looking for a better interest rate, and did get a call back with the 3% offer and increase to $1m. He said it might take 3 business days to show up on my account details which seems a bit odd, as all other offers have shown up nearly instantly. I guess I'll play their games for a little longer for 3%, I just wish this marketing crap would end and we could just get their highest possible rate without the hoop jumping.

We also have a business savings account at TNG that we don't utilize much as the interest rates there have generally sucked. I remember seeing a lottery offer/insight for better rates that popped up this summer, but it no longer showed up so I asked on chat if there were any better rates available, and received a nice "No, but we'll forward your feedback to the appropriate department". Hmmm. Anyways, I was clicking around the site thinking maybe a business GIC might work and found they no longer offer Business Accounts of any sort, and trying to open anything new online brought up an error message. Any idea when this happened?
I got the call too, was offered 3%, but I was also surprised when they said the promotion would be applied within 1-2 business days. Previously, the agents would apply the promotions instantly.
Oct 8, 2006
388 posts
122 upvotes
Okanagan Valley
kulb wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 4:00 pm
I got the call too, was offered 3%, but I was also surprised when they said the promotion would be applied within 1-2 business days. Previously, the agents would apply the promotions instantly.
My updated promo details appeared on my account details on the 2nd day after contact with them - for some reason maybe they don't have direct access to change it or their time is better spent giving us 3% than inputting on a keyboard Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Jul 2, 2015
200 posts
63 upvotes
OTTAWA,ON
vivibaby wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 2:32 pm
I got a call back. I'm still stuck at 2%. Where is a good place to move the money to?
RBC @ 3% for 6 months.... and the nice part is that you don't have to phone in, waste your time explaining your situation to a gormless CSR and then having to beg, grovel or explain that your friends are getting such & such a deal, yada,yada, yada.Angry Face
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
3067 posts
890 upvotes
^ agree. They called me and offered 3% and I turned it down because I already have my money over at RBC. They said I should have called first as they would give me the same. I was too polite and didn't say "I don't want to wait 30 minutes on the phone, or wait a day or 2 for someone to call me back. even then there is no guaranty I would get 3%". I did it with RBC all by myself and didn't have to call or speak to a single person :)
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1598 posts
278 upvotes
happy camper wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 4:21 pm
My updated promo details appeared on my account details on the 2nd day after contact with them - for some reason maybe they don't have direct access to change it or their time is better spent giving us 3% than inputting on a keyboard Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Just logged into my account, and it shows 3% now. I spoke to the "task force" (special team at Tangerine) yesterday.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17761 posts
2457 upvotes
GTA West
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:41 pm
LOL man.
I pulled the money from Tangerine into Meridian's 3.15% offer.
The VERY NEXT DAY I received a voice mail from Tangerine, asking me to call them about a special interest rate offer.
I called in. They offered a 3% GIC for 12 months.
I countered saying that HSBC is offering 3.5% without a GIC. They actually knew about the HSBC offer, countering that it is only 2 months.
Then I stated that Meridian is offer 3.15% for 6 months, but the agent again stated their offer is 12 months.
I didn't take the GIC offer stating that maybe I want to spend the money before 12 months, expecting to then receive an offer for a non-GIC special rate.
The Tangerine Agent stated that the GIC is the only offer for me and there are no other offers that are not a GIC.
The agent stated that they will note on my profile that I declined the GIC. So I don't know if that will prevent me from getting other offers in the future.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Oct 14th, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)