Personal Finance

Tangerine Interest Rate Lottery thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 2:08 pm
Mar 4, 2014
78 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver
smokie2069 wrote: I just tranferred all my money out of tangerine. They are not willing to do retain clients as they used to . oh well I'm getting better rate than 1.6% they are offering . good luck to all !
Same here. Moved to EQ. Let's wait and see what the next Tangerine offer looks like ;)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
lingecw wrote: If you delay until the last minute, then move the money to checking account temporarily would work?
Possibly. Depends what you mean by last minute.
If you transfer to chequing on the weekend will it be dated Jan 3rd?

Depends what date they use for their next promo start date (if there is one) and also depends if their next promo counts chequing account balances or not.

EQ pays 2%, and Tangerine mah not even have another promo, so I figure why risk it and send the money to EQ anyways.

I'm losing 1 day of 2.61% (0.61% more than EQ) on Saturday but gaining 2 days of 2% double interest at EQ while the transfer processes.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Nov 4, 2008
626 posts
425 upvotes
GTA
ace604 wrote: No cheque from Tangerine required to link. They both link the same way with the 2 microdeposits. It's too late to do that AND transfer before next week though.

If you don't have an EQ account at all you do need an initial cheque to open the account but that could be from another bank and then you can link both from EQ to TNG, and from TNG to EQ.
I do have an EQ account already. But not sure how to link EQ with Tangerine? Would you be able to explain? TIA!
Apr 24, 2008
167 posts
68 upvotes
brutus99 wrote: I do have an EQ account already. But not sure how to link EQ with Tangerine? Would you be able to explain? TIA!
Log into EQ and go to pay and transfer, then click on linked accounts. Add your tangerine account Number and the
Transit/Branch number is: 00152
Institution number is: 614
Nov 4, 2008
626 posts
425 upvotes
GTA
markzs2001 wrote: Log into EQ and go to pay and transfer, then click on linked accounts. Add your tangerine account Number and the
Thank you very much!!

I ended up calling Tangerine and they gave me 2% for 3 months so nothing special like the last 2 promos @ 3.25% & 3% :(
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
brutus99 wrote: Thank you very much!!

I ended up calling Tangerine and they gave me 2% for 3 months so nothing special like the last 2 promos @ 3.25% & 3% :(
Calling and asking for a rate is different than getting offered a promo rate. If there is a promo that starts in January the people who call in to get a better than 0.8% rate (like 1.6% or 2%) may not get "randomly" targeted with any offer.

Has anyone been on a special rate they called in for and then subsequently been offered the promo rates on the site (while on the special rate)?
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Sep 14, 2009
982 posts
670 upvotes
Kingston
In moving money between Tangerine and EQ, is it preferable (to save time & loss of interest) to push or pull funds?

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
cardero wrote: In moving money between Tangerine and EQ, is it preferable (to save time & loss of interest) to push or pull funds?

Thanks.
Pulling money is always the best in terms of avoiding loss of interest.
Of course you might have a considerable sum of money in these banks. I'm not sure what happens if you try to use EQ to "pull" an amount out of TangerING that is bigger than your daily TangerING transaction limit.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Dec 28th, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3503 posts
615 upvotes
Ottawa
The best tangerine would offer is 1.6%

I had 2.5% last term

There rates keep getting less competitive and anyone notice how awful there live support is, its impossible to reach anyone ever!
Hello
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Called Tangerine.
As of 9:40am EST, they can provide me with 2% for 90 days. (I have $80K in their HISA and until 12/31 I am receiving 3%).

I declined and told them I'd wait until January 1 to see if something better is offered. I'll make my decision then.
Last edited by newt_101 on Dec 29th, 2016 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8511 posts
6255 upvotes
I too called to move my money. I was offered 2% for 90 days. I politely declined and moved my money anyway to EQ. hopefully they would send me a better offer in the New Year. I was getting 2.95% previously
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1534 posts
406 upvotes
ace604 wrote: The non-individualized promo (e.g. the random targeted one with rates of 3% or 2.61%) ends Dec 31st. Theoretically a new one could start the next day.

Safest bet is to pull money out from EQ *today* (28th) so that it leaves Tangerine by Friday (30th), or failing that if you miss out on today ... push it from Tangerine out to EQ on Thursday the 29th so that, again, it leaves Tangerine by Friday the 30th (TNG pushes are scheduled for next business day; EQ pulls are credited instantly but take 2 days for Tangerine to debit the funds = more interest for you by an extra 2 days of 2% at EQ vs pushing from TNG).

If you delay one more day with either method the funds won't leave Tangerine until after the long weekend - Tue. Jan 3rd.

That will still be okay if they do a promo that starts with 'new' money measured as of Jan 4th though.
Thank you for the expert opinion. Any benefit If I am to pull the money from EQ today the 29th?
Just called Tangerine the rep suggested to me to leave all money with Tang as there would be a promotion coming and it would be on the existing balance (for me, can't speak for others ie YMMV)
Regardless, to be safe I rather xfer to EQ and wait for the Tang promo.
Jan 23, 2009
946 posts
1932 upvotes
Ontario
just remember last September Tangerine interest rate were higher because I believe of PCF 2.25% however this time around PCF promo 1.5% and 2.25% for targeted client ONLY ZERO exception
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
markzs2001 wrote: Log into EQ and go to pay and transfer, then click on linked accounts. Add your tangerine account Number and the
Has anyone tried this recently? I attempted it this week for link Tangerine into EQ. I ended up getting an e-mail from EQ stating that they were not able to do their test deposit into Tangerine.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8511 posts
6255 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Has anyone tried this recently? I attempted it this week for link Tangerine into EQ. I ended up getting an e-mail from EQ stating that they were not able to do their test deposit into Tangerine.
Was yours savings account at Tangerine? I did with chequing before and it was fine, never tried savings.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
mkl38s wrote: Was yours savings account at Tangerine? I did with chequing before and it was fine, never tried savings.
I tried linking EQ to Tangerine Chequing and it failed. :confused:
- casual gastronomist -
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
My Tangerine 3% promo ended yesterday ... Called today and, as expected, got offered 2% ... for 90 days ... -- took it for now ... then .. life will show. :)
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
mkl38s wrote: Was yours savings account at Tangerine? I did with chequing before and it was fine, never tried savings.
Jucius Maximus wrote: I tried linking EQ to Tangerine Chequing and it failed. :confused:
I requested the link from EQ last week into Chequing and Savings and microdeposits showed up yesterday. Did you double check for data entry errors?
Loose lips sink ships. | His Majesty's Naval Service

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)