Hot Deals

[Simplii Financial] 3% promo on new deposits for 4 months from Simplii

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 12:47 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8319 posts
776 upvotes
I applied online last week and still haven't received their snailmail...has anyone received?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2149 posts
493 upvotes
I noticed PCF still open at RCSS today with people working there and ATM. Can we open a Simplii account there in person?
Apr 5, 2016
214 posts
176 upvotes
BC
Hmmm. It's been 6 days since I applied online for a Simplii Savings account. No email or snail mail received yet... Feels a bit weird considering we live in a world where communication is #1. lol
Zoomer Wireless = 2+ years
Tangerine = 10+ years
Feb 20, 2004
605 posts
175 upvotes
mkl38s wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:54 pm
I noticed PCF still open at RCSS today with people working there and ATM. Can we open a Simplii account there in person?
I thought PCF is no longer got anything to do with Simplii as it's now just CIBC owned, so maybe they are wrapping up. I thought I read somewhere that PCF is not allowed to start a banking service/financial institution, till a year later and CIBC is not allowed to offer a credit card similar to PCF credit card also till a year later. They had an agreement. Can't remember where I read that. But it would be interesting to see more competition which is all the better for us. I mean if PCF goes back to having a financial banking service available in a year's time all to their own.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9916 posts
592 upvotes
Mississauga
Do you earn 3% in the 4 months of your total balance or is the 3% annualized?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
1620 posts
325 upvotes
Ottawa
kiasu wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:52 pm
I applied online last week and still haven't received their snailmail...has anyone received?
mkl38s wrote:
I applied last week. Got an email earlier this week. But still haven't gotten the welcome package in the mail. Didn't expect it to be this slow.
Dec 24, 2014
19 posts
3 upvotes
GVRD
Does anyone know how to transfer funds from TD to Simplii, without using e-transfer? (e-transfer limit is quite low for TD)
Nov 13, 2009
456 posts
202 upvotes
Ajax
Tijuana wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:36 pm
Do you earn 3% in the 4 months of your total balance or is the 3% annualized?
3% per year
So I you put your money for the full 4 months promotion offer, you will get 1% total
Nov 6, 2013
837 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
eugene188 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:39 pm
I applied last week. Got an email earlier this week. But still haven't gotten the welcome package in the mail. Didn't expect it to be this slow.
Opposite in my case. Got the snail mail but waiting for email.
Jun 23, 2017
243 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
spartus123 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:01 pm
Does anyone know how to transfer funds from TD to Simplii, without using e-transfer? (e-transfer limit is quite low for TD)
Usually you can call them and they can make the transfers for you above the posted e-transfer limit.
I did this at Tangerine when moving funds over to Simplii. But be prepared for them to forward you to a 'supervisor' to move the amount you want to move. And be prepared to answer the question "Why are you transferring such a large sum of money at once?" ... not that it's any of their business. In my case, I just responded "Because Simplii is offering 3.0% until the end of February."
Aug 27, 2012
194 posts
102 upvotes
Calgary
spartus123 wrote:
Write a cheque for whatever amount you want and do a mobile deposit using Simplii app. That’s what I did, as I figured waiting to set up a link and then push or pull will most definitely take longer.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10565 posts
3367 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
spartus123 wrote:
You can "pull" funds from the Simplii end on their website. There's no restriction on the amount (or at least if there is I've yet to encounter it ;) )

Going the other way, from Simplii to TD, you have to call in to Simplii if you go above the $25k or $50k limit. As 905P4N6 says for large amounts they'll refer your call to a "supervisor." There's no need to give any explanations to why you're moving money out. I usually just say something useless like, "Because I need the money." If you need to move more than $100k out of Simplii they'll do it in $100k tranches.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 25, 2007
554 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
UPDATE:
I have applied on Nov 1st and received the snail mail yesterday and when I tried to activate the account, it was routed to CSR and advised that account wont get activated until the signature card is signed and sent back along with check self made for amount of $25 or Opt for the email where you will receive a barcode which should be brought back to nearest Postal office for identity verification.
Ontop of it I got dinged with Hard Pull for even Savings account opening :-(
When I asked about opening up an checking account as I already got credit pull, they said..it will be another hard pull..

What a waste of time...I should have stayed away and could have used my credit pull for another FI or CC to get some sign on bonus..instead of 0.5% interest hike that too for 4 months..
Just my two cents guys...its not worth the hassle of account setup for peanuts of the interest with credit score dinge.
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
mkannuri wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:28 am
UPDATE:
I have applied on Nov 1st and received the snail mail yesterday and when I tried to activate the account, it was routed to CSR and advised that account wont get activated until the signature card is signed and sent back along with check self made for amount of $25 or Opt for the email where you will receive a barcode which should be brought back to nearest Postal office for identity verification.
Ontop of it I got dinged with Hard Pull for even Savings account opening :-(
When I asked about opening up an checking account as I already got credit pull, they said..it will be another hard pull..

What a waste of time...I should have stayed away and could have used my credit pull for another FI or CC to get some sign on bonus..instead of 0.5% interest hike that too for 4 months..
Just my two cents guys...its not worth the hassle of account setup for peanuts of the interest with credit score dinge.
You are probably at 2.5 % with Tangerine, most people are not. They are at their crappy 0.8 % , as they received nothing in the Tangerine lottery or Retention offer. For them 3 % is definitely worth it.

Even for you its worth it to play the Tangerine lottery game for Jan 5, 2018 or March 5, 2018. Keep the money in Simplii at 3 % to play that game. As Tangerine will only give it on NEW net deposits their promo rates !

Don't worry about the hard pulls and all that, they will off soon. Unless you are applying for a mortgage or something, don't worry about this.
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
mkl38s wrote:
That's for their PCF Mastercard customers. The Credit card is stiil with PC after the divorce.

You can still apply for their credit card at the kiosk. The ATM machine is probably not functional anymore, and just a dummy one yet to be dismanteled.

Not sure if they still have PCF Mortgages ( most probably not ) or that's also gone to Simplii.