• Jul 21st, 2018 3:36 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2012
157 posts
99 upvotes
Mark Town

Which 3 ton floor jack is better

I am considering the two floor jacks:

* Costco.ca Arcan 3-ton Professional Grade Hybrid Service Jack $139 https://www.costco.ca/Arcan-3-ton-Profe ... 17470.html
* PrincessAuto 3-ton Low profile Aluminum Floor Jack on sale $199 regular $369 https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8160996e

Seems that the two have the same specifications. Oddly the two have the same weight of 58lb despite that PrincessAuto calls it "Aluminium".

What is your opinion on the two jacks?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2698 posts
575 upvotes
Edmonton
Uh, both call it aluminum because it is aluminum... well, aluminum + steel instead of straight steel
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1574 posts
909 upvotes
Ottawa
Go with the cheapest, all things being equal. Btw, wrong forum.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2181 posts
184 upvotes
North York
Many of the aluminum ones are made in the same factory in China, with different colours/brands for different retailers. On a quick look, they seem to be equivalent/the same hard to zoom on the princess pics on mobile, I'd buy whichever is more convenient.

Fwiw, I've found princess always seems to charge a premium for their jacks unless they are on sale.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
1886 posts
538 upvotes
Edmonton
Can’t beat the Costco warranty
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3596 posts
2748 upvotes
Toronto
Identical, and 30% cheaper, the Costco one is a no brainer. Only disadvantage is that you have to get it shipped, vs. picking up one in-store at Princess Auto.

Sometimes Costco has one in-store as well. It comes and goes and varies by warehouse, but I think it's about $110-120.

There's also this one that's slightly cheaper and the SUV adapter would be handy if you have something higher than a sedan:

LINK

Shows $133 for me, but I think price varies by location due to shipping.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4064 posts
1044 upvotes
Debtario
I just got the arcan and I'm very happy with it. I got a chance to try the Torin black Jack and it is a VERY solid jack plus it has a SUV height extension arm, but lifting it is a back-breaking affair and after experiencing that I agree the weight savings of an aluminum jack are worth the premium. The arcan isn't feather weight, but it is much lighter and easier to carry with the handles on the sides. Weight might not matter to you if it never leaves the garage/driveway, but it will if you store it in the basement or take it with you to help a friend/relative.
cliff wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 10:02 am
Many of the aluminum ones are made in the same factory in China, with different colours/brands for different retailers. On a quick look, they seem to be equivalent/the same hard to zoom on the princess pics on mobile, I'd buy whichever is more convenient.

Fwiw, I've found princess always seems to charge a premium for their jacks unless they are on sale.
I agree, after comparing the arcan jack to the one at CT ($300+, on "sale" sometimes for around $170)) and picture of other aluminum/steel jacks, I am 100% certain they are the same thing just rebranded. Then again these are simple devices so it wouldn't be hard to copy the basic design, but I doubt that's the case.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)