Tags:
None
Aug 13, 2006
368 posts
10 upvotes
GTA

3 week Turkey Trip-Lens choices

Hi,
In last 3 weeks of May I will be in traveling to Turkey. 1 week in Istanbul and 2 weeks in Aegean Coast (Ephesus etc), 1 day Samos Island Greece.

I haven't picked my body yet Canon T2i or Pentax K-x.
I was originally a Canon shooter, XSi, 20D, 30D, 40D and 5D. I would pick T2i but I know it is current price will drop by mid summer drastically from $860 to who knows what in usual Canon fashion. I am also looking at K-x because it has 720p movie and decent prince $600 kit from prodigital2000.

I am thinking to buy (used) Sigma 10-20 (older one) for either mount and
Sigma 18-200 OS (for Canon) or something similar range for Pentax K-x.

I will be taking pictures inside the mosques, old churches. Also some (or many) rooftop panaromas, Ephesus is a great place so many pictures there.

I was wondering whether if my lens selections are OK. Can you recommend any faster indoor wide angle lens for Pentax or Canon (not Tokina 11-16 since it is $800).

Thanks
8 replies
Oct 29, 2005
972 posts
55 upvotes
I'm currently travelling Europe and Africa. I'll be in Istanbul on Thursday. My kit consists of a 15mm, 21mm and 40mm on full-frame. My most used focal are the last 2.

Most churches and museums are quite dark. Frequently shooing iso400, f4-5.6 1/4 sec shutter.

Between the tokina and sigma, I'd choose the tokina for it's faster and constant aperture. It's said to be sharper - even wide open. If you can stretch your budget, a 5d + 16-35L would be the ultimate travel combo. Even if you can't afford it, maybe look into getting it used and selling it after you return from your trip.

Good luck.
Sep 16, 2007
85 posts
1 upvote
Dude, get the T2i, the K-x lacks visible focus points in the viewfinder, which makes composition a lot harder.
Jun 3, 2004
776 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
I'm a Nikon shooter, but if I was to compare your two choices I'd go with Canon T2i for sure. just read up the review at the dpreview.com

regardless of the topic;
Assuming you'll be staying around Sultanahmet, cheap hostels and very central location for some historical places.
Visit all of these in Sultanahmet,
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/I ... index.html

Mosques; remember Muslims pray 5 times a day, check your watch, and dont go during the praying time, like midday, around sundown, and between noon and sunset.

let me know if you need more tips about Turkey...
:arrow: Nikon D7100, Tamron 17-50mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Nikon 35mm F/2, Nikon 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, Nikon SB800, Manfrotto 190+RC482,
:arrow: Soylu.CA - :arrow: Portfolio - :arrow: 500px
:arrow: Prints For Sale
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2090 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
You don't need to check your watch to know when they pray. They have speakers from the Mosques that have the iman praying and reminding people.

Also, worst time to visit a mosque is during the rush of tourists. You have to take your shoes off before you enter, and tourist don't bother to wash their feet before going in. The collective stink of tourist feet is enough to knock out even the most harden garbage collector's nose.
Jun 3, 2004
776 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Xeros wrote: You don't need to check your watch to know when they pray.
what I meant was make sure you set your visiting time for the mosques wisely so you dont have to wait outside. set up a schedule for every other place for visit and try not to go to mosques during the praying time.
:arrow: Nikon D7100, Tamron 17-50mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Nikon 35mm F/2, Nikon 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, Nikon SB800, Manfrotto 190+RC482,
:arrow: Soylu.CA - :arrow: Portfolio - :arrow: 500px
:arrow: Prints For Sale
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2090 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
rename wrote: what I meant was make sure you set your visiting time for the mosques wisely so you dont have to wait outside. set up a schedule for every other place for visit and try not to go to mosques during the praying time.
True... they may not even let you in during that time unless you are Muslim and are there to pray.

I would also suggest this restaurant for Fasuli beans... http://www.fasuli.com.tr/

located here:
Fasuli in Istanbul

Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can find haricot (fasuli) beans in Toronto?
Aug 13, 2006
368 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
Xeros wrote: True... they may not even let you in during that time unless you are Muslim and are there to pray.

I would also suggest this restaurant for Fasuli beans... http://www.fasuli.com.tr/

located here:
Fasuli in Istanbul

Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can find haricot (fasuli) beans in Toronto?
Thank you all. I am from Turkish origin but haven't been back for 17 years. I am mostly interested light weight camera set up since I have lots of areas to cover.

My tentative gear list is this:
Canon t2i or t1i (used) for $560
Sigma 10-20mm (the older one) $400-$450
Sigma 18-200 OS $400-$450
Some netbook with big hard disk to transfer images and movies. $300
2 batteries and charger. $50
Cheap and light tripod? $50

For this set-up, what kind of camera back pack would you recommend?

Xeros for the beans try Marche Istanbul on Dufferin at Orfus or there is a huge turkish grocery store called Burak supermarket I think it is at North of Steeles on Dufferin
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
carpeter wrote: Thank you all. I am from Turkish origin but haven't been back for 17 years. I am mostly interested light weight camera set up since I have lots of areas to cover.

My tentative gear list is this:
Canon t2i or t1i (used) for $560
Sigma 10-20mm (the older one) $400-$450
Sigma 18-200 OS $400-$450
Some netbook with big hard disk to transfer images and movies. $300
2 batteries and charger. $50
Cheap and light tripod? $50

For this set-up, what kind of camera back pack would you recommend?

Xeros for the beans try Marche Istanbul on Dufferin at Orfus or there is a huge turkish grocery store called Burak supermarket I think it is at North of Steeles on Dufferin
Kata 3n1-22 should do your need. You'll need to get the optional tripod holder though. The whole lot should be under 200 from ebay.

Otherwise the Kata 467i (the one with the tripod holder on the side) is a cheaper alternative. However, it's not as easy to get at your lens.

Also, you can always go down to a store and just look at the various makes of bags and pick the one you like best. That might be the best solution. Additionally, photograph-on-the.net has a accessory section which I find pretty good for user reviews of bags.