• Dec 5th, 2019 10:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
1341 posts
682 upvotes

3 year old vomitting.

Most likely mybkid got the stomach flu from another kid at the daycare. It might be uncomfortable and inconvenience to us but why the grandparents freaking out? They want us to take the kid to the emergency at the hospital. Kids are stronger than you think. What is your experience?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2524 posts
318 upvotes
Toronto
My kid went though the same thing. Just went to the family doctor on the first or second day, and then a check up 9 days later. As parents, you know how your child acts day to day and you will know if something if off. However grandparents always want to "play it safe" It's free for doctors to check, so why not. That's their mentality.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1557 posts
534 upvotes
Usually one day not a big deal, after that is concern for dehydration. Call telehealth and let them tell you what to do if you don't want to wait in emergency department.
Alex
Dec 12, 2005
441 posts
51 upvotes
Richmond
Keep him hydrated and once he has not vomited for several hours, I would slowly introduce any of banana, applesauce, rice or toast. If after several hours, the kid has not vomited, I'd increase it.

https://www.webmd.com/children/brat-diet
Jul 5, 2004
23881 posts
3416 upvotes
Kids get stomach bugs and puke, it's normal. Some people overreact, not just grandparents, some parents overreact and rush to the ER for every tiny thing.

You know your kid. Is he himself, other than the puking? Is he willing to drink? Will he still play at least a little bit? If yes to all those, he's probably fine, but that will be your call to make and only you can make it.

When my son is sick, he'll still run around and play. He's a bit slower, but you often wouldn't know he's sick, until he pukes. The one exception was when he had croup. That really took a lot out of him and resulted in 2 trips to the ER. The first was needed to get steroids to help with his breathing. The 2nd visit was just me overreacting, but when your kid is fighting for air, it's easy to overreact.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
1878 posts
142 upvotes
Markham, ON
cristianosham wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2019 3:44 pm
Most likely mybkid got the stomach flu from another kid at the daycare. It might be uncomfortable and inconvenience to us but why the grandparents freaking out? They want us to take the kid to the emergency at the hospital. Kids are stronger than you think. What is your experience?
Just give him fluids.

Water, Pedialyte and maybe popsicles/freezies if kid's not taking the water or pedialyte in liquid form. Avoid juices.
If he gets a fever or gets super cranky (due to discomfort), you can give Tylenol or Advil for children.
It'll go away in a few days.

Father of 4 who've dealt with kids of throwing up in bed, on the couch, in the car, and various other places.
Last edited by xyztech on Dec 5th, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16071 posts
6239 upvotes
Our experience is that you can totally see why people say "First time parent I see" to parents. While not always true, and annoying as hell when you hear it, you can look back and see it. Guess who over reacted the first time our child had a fever?

Now that we have more experience we rarely even take our children to the doctor outside their regular appointments and the follow ups the doctor offers at that time. We start with the appropriate medicine, give them rest/fluids/easily digestible foods, and it's been a success. You learn the signs from your kids - for example our one child usually perks up mid way through the day and starts to have fun at home and wants to keep playing. In a way you say "We have been hustled" but truthfully we all have days we are run down but when we are older we recognize we have to still suck it up and go.

You know your child best and you'll figure out what should be done. Others will do different things and that's fine.