Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…

$30,000 to Spend for Car – GTA – Looking For Some Advice/Opinions

I generally find lots of good advice in this forum. I hope some can help.

Looking to buy a car in Toronto. Want to spend around $30,000 a/i. Given the time of year, I would rather buy a 2012 model but need to do so by the end of the month – Sept. 2011 – so appreciate some options may by necessity be 2011 models. I plan to buy mid next week after I have done my DD (narrowed things down and then obtain CCC reports etc.).

If used, would have to have a warranty as if new.

Set 30K limit since I have no reason to have this car other than for a job and will be able to depreciate the cost and want to use the rather low $600/month allowance they give me to try to at least get something out of the same but at the same time making the taxable benefit a wash as much as I can. I really do not want to go over $30K although a little over would be OK subject to getting some more value.

Therefore, looking to buy a good car with a good potential re-sale since if this job ends early, the car is likely to be sold – considered leasing and breaking a lease but I could put LOTS of KM’s on. That said, could keep it a while if the job works out.

Sale will be in cash – preference would actually to use CC for whole purchase…but I know this may not be possible. Car will be for work but some personal use. One child, 4 yrs old.

To be honest, since a company car has been supplied for the last 15 years, I have had little need to know anything about buying a car. Last car I bought new would have been a only Nissan 240SX Coupe LE back in the 90s. Again, have a short time to do this in.

What I can tell you about my preferences is that I generally have always gotten a “loaded” car with work and have found leather really wears very well. Sadly, it looks like you only get leather if you go for higher models. Fuel consumption is also important as is resale value. Good storage space is nice. I would pay more for a loaded car versus the strip model – particularly if loaded adds to the potential re-sale value. Power is a secondary priority. If I want a power fix, I will just drive my in-laws S500 for a few days. He things we should buy an 350AWD but I have no appetite at this time for a fancy car – however, nice it might be.

As odd as this may sound, I do not want some obscure tire size that makes getting some cheap winter tires via jcwhitney a pain in the but or not possible.

Minvan is OK, so is something like a Mazda5 or cross over. Really think of the car as from A to B. Would think about an SUV also.

Just trying to get some general opinions.
38 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
30000$ after tax means 26.5k pre-tax. That gives you two choices: a fully loaded compact car, or a base model 4 cyl mid-size car. I was in a similar situation, and I opted for the former. If you want decent creature comforts like leather, sunroof, heated seats, and the like, you are pretty much in the compact territory. Cars to look at are fully loaded 2012 Elantra, 2012 Ford Focus, 2012 Cruze, 2011 CSX, 2012 Civic (not the same car as the CSX!) and 2011 Mazda3 2.5L. The reason I selected these cars is that they fell much nicer than they cost (with the exception of teh Civic).

I don't know squat about SUVs.

If you put more 20000km per year on the car, re-sale value will be trash, regardless of teh make.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
mr_raider wrote: 30000$ after tax means 26.5k pre-tax. That gives you two choices: a fully loaded compact car, or a base model 4 cyl mid-size car. I was in a similar situation, and I opted for the former. If you want decent creature comforts like leather, sunroof, heated seats, and the like, you are pretty much in the compact territory. Cars to look at are fully loaded 2012 Elantra, 2012 Ford Focus, 2012 Cruze, 2011 CSX, 2012 Civic (not the same car as the CSX!) and 2011 Mazda3 2.5L. The reason I selected these cars is that they fell much nicer than they cost (with the exception of teh Civic).

I don't know squat about SUVs.

If you put more 20000km per year on the car, re-sale value will be trash, regardless of teh make.
this is helpful. so with lots of km's, options are more for you the driver versus the value? will probably put on about 20-25K (or more) per year.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
964 upvotes
Id get a slightly used Accord sedan v6.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
JohnB wrote: Id get a slightly used Accord sedan v6.
had an old accord. have they resolved the transmission issues?

many thanks to others for ideas.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Focus, with all the goodies.
Nov 28, 2005
630 posts
8 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wow, did you buy the Nissan 240SX before? It's been my dream car back in 90s lol :D
Since you drive a lot, I may suggest to get a 2-3 years old Lexus. They are super reliable.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Ha your father in law is jokes. IS350 AWD starts at $45k--already way above your $30k-as-planned.

If you are buying the car cash, consider buying in the US. And are you saying your job will give you $600/month towards your car??? Man that's like the second or third person I've heard this year say something like that. Where do I find a job like that? LOL. And you call that "rather low" ha!

I'd suggest GTI but even a base GTI is probably pushing a little over $30k after negotiation. Might be able to get into a Jetta GLI though, as it is slightly cheaper than the GTI...
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
ES_Revenge wrote: Ha your father in law is jokes. IS350 AWD starts at $45k--already way above your $30k-as-planned.

If you are buying the car cash, consider buying in the US. And are you saying your job will give you $600/month towards your car??? Man that's like the second or third person I've heard this year say something like that. Where do I find a job like that? LOL. And you call that "rather low" ha!

I'd suggest GTI but even a base GTI is probably pushing a little over $30k after negotiation. Might be able to get into a Jetta GLI though, as it is slightly cheaper than the GTI...
thanks...

I know my FIL is crazy...btw, 45K is not out of my ability to pay...just not what I want to pay..he thinks i should also buy an S500 like his from the US....the amount of money he pays on gas alone would be brutal....nice for him, he is retired...

job will give 600 a month. market for these in good jobs is around 800-900 given CRA upped the max lease to 800. believe me, this is great and that is why I am trying to turn the amount into something versus leasing.

Added...probably not enough time to buy in the US.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
If purchased, CRA allows you depreciate 30k pre-tax purchase of the car. That means you can go to 34000$ post tax. That open up a few nicer options.

Might I suggest: Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata and Chevrolet Malibu
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Sonata Turbo / Optima Turbo
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
mr_raider wrote: If purchased, CRA allows you depreciate 30k pre-tax purchase of the car. That means you can go to 34000$ post tax. That open up a few nicer options.

Might I suggest: Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata and Chevrolet Malibu
very helpful ideas.

as to other poster, yes, purchased the 240. awsome car. in fact, i still see the guy who bought it from me. very rare for the coupe LE.

thanks. i am a tax guy so 30K+tax, 15% (only 50% of the amount for the first year) in year one which is the stub to dec. 31 then 30% year two so around 5800 plus about 7800 for 14K to Dec. 2012 plus other expenses.

few people have said the Sonata now.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
great...now my parents are giving me advice. they are telling me to consider the Subaru Outback but those look to be out of my range...have to speak to a relative who just bought one last week.
Jul 9, 2008
407 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
2012 Sonata, Optima (non turbos, better mpg, resale), Camry (7th generation)
Aug 29, 2010
283 posts
20 upvotes
Have you considered a VW TDI? Given your reqs, seems like a reasonable option...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)