Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
19 upvotes

30 Day return policy at FS

Ok, I have some stuff to return that was purchased on April 15th, but today is just too busy for me. A quick look @ the calendar reveals that today is the 29th day since my purchase. Does that mean that I can return the stuff tomorrow on the 30th day? Or is that the date on which the return expires? I'd call the FS location but i doubt that they will be cooperative given that they don't like returns.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8251 posts
1195 upvotes
ClubberLang wrote:
May 14th, 2008 11:53 am
Ok, I have some stuff to return that was purchased on April 15th, but today is just too busy for me. A quick look @ the calendar reveals that today is the 29th day since my purchase. Does that mean that I can return the stuff tomorrow on the 30th day? Or is that the date on which the return expires? I'd call the FS location but i doubt that they will be cooperative given that they don't like returns.
Who does like returns? Try this at Pac Mall but invite me first to watch. Waiting until tomorrow would be pushing it but if it is the 30th day from the day of purchase then you're still OK.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
19 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote:
May 14th, 2008 12:02 pm
Who does like returns? Try this at Pac Mall but invite me first to watch.
thanks for the help /sarcasm
Nov 11, 2006
571 posts
They probably will take it back as long as its in original packaging, looks good, receipt, blah blah blah...
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
2049 posts
10 upvotes
You can return it tomorrow (May 15). That would be the last day for you to do so.
Pretty sure.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2022 upvotes
Nowhere
You should get there asap however, if they refuse you, ask for the manager, district manager etc. Don't take no for an answer. I had something to return after Christmas. I had been there a few times but the line ups were too long. I didn't realize that the deadline had past when I went two days after the deadline. They initially refused as I was past the date and said that their system would not even accept the return. I complained and asked for the manager. The CSR went and spoke to someone and then came back and did the refund. She was nasty about it so I didn't bother to point out to her that she returned the wrong amount. I had paid $12.99 for the DVD and it scanned at $19.99 which is what she returned. It was the only item on the receipt so she should have seen it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7270 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Cheap Cat wrote:
May 14th, 2008 4:09 pm
You should get there asap however, if they refuse you, ask for the manager, district manager etc. Don't take no for an answer. I had something to return after Christmas. I had been there a few times but the line ups were too long. I didn't realize that the deadline had past when I went two days after the deadline. They initially refused as I was past the date and said that their system would not even accept the return. I complained and asked for the manager. The CSR went and spoke to someone and then came back and did the refund. She was nasty about it so I didn't bother to point out to her that she returned the wrong amount. I had paid $12.99 for the DVD and it scanned at $19.99 which is what she returned. It was the only item on the receipt so she should have seen it.
is it really neccessary to go above and beyond by threatening to call district manager for something that is clearly YOUR FAULT?

the receipt states 30 days from purchase. Saying "i didn't realize" isn't much of an excuse. If i was the manager i would have gladly given u the number to call and stand by you while you plead over the phone about why 30 day return policy shouldn't apply to you
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2022 upvotes
Nowhere
trixR4kids wrote:
May 14th, 2008 5:45 pm
is it really neccessary to go above and beyond by threatening to call district manager for something that is clearly YOUR FAULT?

the receipt states 30 days from purchase. Saying "i didn't realize" isn't much of an excuse. If i was the manager i would have gladly given u the number to call and stand by you while you plead over the phone about why 30 day return policy shouldn't apply to you
I was asking them to use some common sense as I was two days past the deadline for Christmas returns and I didn't threaten to call the district manager. I asked for the manager. It is not a threat to ask for the manager or even the district manager. Having worked in retail, I realize that the CSR doesn't have the authority to override policies. He/she must abide by the policies of the store. The manager or district manager does have the discretion to override policies, hence my request to speak to the manager. As for my fault, I never said I wasn't late returning the item. Again, I was two days past the deadline, not weeks or months. It was a Christmas gift that I was returning. I had attempted to return it a couple of times after Christmas but the lineups were too long. So I waited until the Christmas/Boxing Day period was over and went to return it. Many stores have extended return periods after Christmas to allow for returns. FS return date didn't even recognize that some people celebrate Orthodox Christmas and may have returns after that date. I had thought that I would be ok within the week of Orthodox Christmas as the return period should have accommodate those people. FYI I was thinking of given the DVD that I had purchased for another nephew, to my nephew who celebrates Orthodox Christmas, which is another reason I hung onto it until I knew I had no use for it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7270 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Cheap Cat wrote:
May 14th, 2008 6:10 pm
I was asking them to use some common sense as I was two days past the deadline for Christmas returns and I didn't threaten to call the district manager. I asked for the manager. It is not a threat to ask for the manager or even the district manager. Having worked in retail, I realize that the CSR doesn't have the authority to override policies. He/she must abide by the policies of the store. The manager or district manager does have the discretion to override policies, hence my request to speak to the manager. As for my fault, I never said I wasn't late returning the item. Again, I was two days past the deadline, not weeks or months. It was a Christmas gift that I was returning. I had attempted to return it a couple of times after Christmas but the lineups were too long. So I waited until the Christmas/Boxing Day period was over and went to return it. Many stores have extended return periods after Christmas to allow for returns. FS return date didn't even recognize that some people celebrate Orthodox Christmas and may have returns after that date. I had thought that I would be ok within the week of Orthodox Christmas as the return period should have accommodate those people. FYI I was thinking of given the DVD that I had purchased for another nephew, to my nephew who celebrates Orthodox Christmas, which is another reason I hung onto it until I knew I had no use for it.

you were clearly late and u told them to use common sense? Although most of the time stores will allow returns past maximum dates at their discretion, what im trying to get at here is that you are making it seem as though this is none of your fault and the store was stupid or not using "common" sense when they say returns are 30 days.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2022 upvotes
Nowhere
trixR4kids wrote:
May 14th, 2008 7:12 pm
you were clearly late and u told them to use common sense? Although most of the time stores will allow returns past maximum dates at their discretion, what im trying to get at here is that you are making it seem as though this is none of your fault and the store was stupid or not using "common" sense when they say returns are 30 days.
I never said that "the store was stupid". A store is an inanimate object so it can't be stupid or smart. But I digress. Please show me where in any of my posts, that I said it was not my fault. I have acknowledged twice (now three times) that I was two days late. I was pointing this out in response to the OPs question as to whether FS return policy was set in stone. Note a policy is a merely a guideline. As per my example, the manager has the discretion to override the return policy, so that if the OP can't get there by the end of the 30 day period (as per his question), there is still a chance that he can return his purchase. I advised the OP to ask for the manager or district manager (if necessary) as they have the authority to override policies, generally, a CSR can't. I also advised the OP to get to the store asap. There is a big difference in asking someone to accept a return that is a few days late, than asking them to accept a return that is months late. Yes, this is common sense. FWIW I was answering the OPs question not wasting my time criticizing other members.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8251 posts
1195 upvotes
isajoo wrote:
May 14th, 2008 1:59 pm
just call them, they are PAID to help u.

otherwise u will just keep getting goofy answers like the one above.
"who does like returns?" turd!
I think the turd that you are referring to is yourself and this goofy answer. Retailers can only make money and help you when people don't abuse return policies. Do you think they're in business to take on losses? Please tell us that you didn't go to public school.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
Cheap Cat wrote:
May 14th, 2008 6:10 pm

I was just curious as to how many days after the stated return policy is acceptable to refuse a return. I have never understood why some people don't think a stated policy works for them. Also Orthodox Christmas is on January 7th and Future Shop Xmas return policy was until January 8th so it was after your nephews Christmas too.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7270 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Hunter316 wrote:
May 14th, 2008 10:37 pm
I was just curious as to how many days after the stated return policy is acceptable to refuse a return. I have never understood why some people don't think a stated policy works for them. Also Orthodox Christmas is on January 7th and Future Shop Xmas return policy was until January 8th so it was after your nephews Christmas too.
according to cheapcat, the amount of days after the stated return policy should be within a common sense amount...
So technically, fs/bb should rewrite their return policy to 30 something days, not 30

the type of ppl who dunt think stated policy works for them are the same ppl who cry out "let me speak to your manager/supervisor" everytime something doesnt go their way.

to op, gotta rmb that its not 100% sure that you'll get yr return after 30 days, no matter how many stories and excuses you can come up with, a written policy gives u no grounds to argue with a manager/district
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1669 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
trixR4kids wrote:
May 14th, 2008 10:48 pm
according to cheapcat, the amount of days after the stated return policy should be within a common sense amount...
So technically, fs/bb should rewrite their return policy to 30 something days, not 30
"You have thirty days to make your return at Future Shop, but if you're celebrating a birthday, holiday, or think you're above the policy - you are more than welcome to extend your return and exchange period at your own discretion. Please borrow all of our products and take our money as you may please."
Nov 3, 2007
841 posts
46 upvotes
Cambridge
the only way to find out is try it before its to late.