Hot Deals

[Virgin Mobile] $30/month fibe internet 50mbps down 10mbps up

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2019 1:18 pm
Jan 14, 2013
84 posts
23 upvotes
Newmarket
FYI I had called in to cancel on May 9th, which is when they "cancelled" my old account and started up a new one with the promo again - but they never actually cancelled the old account. Spent an hour on the phone yesterday saying I didn't keep the second modem and didn't want to pay $60 + HST for a second internet service. After explaining my story twice they tried to offer me $10 off my old account, while also keeping my new account? Strange situation but in the end they credited me half of the bill, which is fine since I technically used 2 weeks of service.
Apr 30, 2009
376 posts
10 upvotes
Otakoo wrote:
May 27th, 2019 11:29 am
Spoke with "Mary" in the cancellation department last week and was told my offer would be extended for another 12 months.

However, I just got my latest bill and see no credit applied, total amount due after tax = $67.80.

Has anyone actually received a credit on their bill for months 13-24?

I dread having to call them again. Angry Face
Did the same thing to me. Be very careful if they promise to extend your promo as it seems to be a big lie. I called and they said oh right you'll get the promo next month. Uhh what why was I billed 60 plus tax this month? My next month is free then? Yes she says.... Cancelled my cc so they can't continue stealing money. We will see next month. Regretting not just going back to carrytel as I'd originally planned....
Jan 23, 2013
111 posts
90 upvotes
SloCan wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 10:55 am
The down votes are wicked now that this thread has been merged. Maybe they should remove the votes that went against not being able to renew, considering that you can do that using the cancel and activate new account method now.

And I don't get how some voted that this is not a good price. If this is not a good price, then what is that is realistic and not some rare flash deal or clerical error? I'd seriously like to know.
Poor merchant reputation. Well deserved I'd say.
May 9, 2005
113 posts
32 upvotes
TORO
My Father's Virgin promo had expired, called them and they offered this deal again without hesitation.
and since he had paid regular price for this past month, they were going to credit 1/2 of that month that was already paid at reg price.
Feb 3, 2019
19 posts
2 upvotes
How good is their modem if you don’t live in ftth area and have to use Steve which I can’t bridge I hear, Is the signal for wifi good? Billing issues? How’s the stability of the internet.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3171 posts
2692 upvotes
dealbreaker09 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2019 9:36 pm
How good is their modem if you don’t live in ftth area and have to use Steve which I can’t bridge I hear, Is the signal for wifi good? Billing issues? How’s the stability of the internet.
WIFI is decent, can cover my house without issues.

No billing issues.

Stability is rock solid, but that depends on your neighbourhood, i.e. who you are sharing the FTTN box with.
Feb 11, 2013
222 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
BlackJays wrote:
May 29th, 2019 9:00 am
Did the same thing to me. Be very careful if they promise to extend your promo as it seems to be a big lie. I called and they said oh right you'll get the promo next month. Uhh what why was I billed 60 plus tax this month? My next month is free then? Yes she says.... Cancelled my cc so they can't continue stealing money. We will see next month. Regretting not just going back to carrytel as I'd originally planned....
Looks like they lie to get out of the call. It clearly show they follow the footsteps of Bell. Rip off customers.

Me and my friends called and were told that they have applied for next 12 months. One of my friend expiry came few days ago and they charged him full and now they said 50% can no longer be applied. He moved to Rogers 75U for 24.99. Will have to wait and see what happens when my bill comes.
Dec 2, 2006
222 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP! Promo was extended for another 12 months, without having the need to cancel :)
Feb 3, 2019
19 posts
2 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Jun 1st, 2019 10:10 pm
WIFI is decent, can cover my house without issues.

No billing issues.

Stability is rock solid, but that depends on your neighbourhood, i.e. who you are sharing the FTTN box with.
My dsl been good here for years so I guess it would be fine only thing is have you or anyone you know had them increase price during the promo since it says “subscription may increase”.
Mar 31, 2019
28 posts
18 upvotes
Just got mind installed. Went from a gig to 50mbps ... Cant tell a difference
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3171 posts
2692 upvotes
dealbreaker09 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 9:14 am
My dsl been good here for years so I guess it would be fine only thing is have you or anyone you know had them increase price during the promo since it says “subscription may increase”.
I've been with them for 1.5 years, they haven't increased the price.

But: who cares? If they increase the price, switch! There's not contract. I usually end up switching once a year, playing Rogers discounts with Bell discounts. I've gone between DSL and Cable a few times now. Only time I didn't this year is Virgin gave me the 50% off deal for a year, so a year from now I'll probably do the same, or switch.

For my neighbourhood I prefer DSL, seems less congested in the evenings then cable, but that's something that changes frequently enough. In my neighbourhood pretty much NONE of the phone lines from the 'node' are good enough for 50Mbps (barely works for 6Mbps anymore) so it's easy to see when someone newly switches: their front lawn is dug up a bit. Several of my neighbours over the last year have had that done (I was the first).
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3171 posts
2692 upvotes
Snugglebean wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 9:48 am
Not surprised. Unless you are a super streaming household (i.e. multiple 4k streams) a 50Mbps line can support at least a few people watching Youtube/Netflix/whatever at a time, especially to mobile devices.
Oct 18, 2009
178 posts
60 upvotes
Snugglebean wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 9:48 am
Can you share what kind of modem/router you received?
Feb 3, 2019
19 posts
2 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 11:19 am
I've been with them for 1.5 years, they haven't increased the price.

But: who cares? If they increase the price, switch! There's not contract. I usually end up switching once a year, playing Rogers discounts with Bell discounts. I've gone between DSL and Cable a few times now. Only time I didn't this year is Virgin gave me the 50% off deal for a year, so a year from now I'll probably do the same, or switch.

For my neighbourhood I prefer DSL, seems less congested in the evenings then cable, but that's something that changes frequently enough. In my neighbourhood pretty much NONE of the phone lines from the 'node' are good enough for 50Mbps (barely works for 6Mbps anymore) so it's easy to see when someone newly switches: their front lawn is dug up a bit. Several of my neighbours over the last year have had that done (I was the first).
Makes sense thanks.
kane2080 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 11:28 am
Can you share what kind of modem/router you received?
If you live in ftth area you’ll get the Valerie modem if not the Steve modem.