• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2019 1:18 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3170 posts
2691 upvotes
Snugglebean wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 2:25 pm
Mine says Valerie, I’m from London. Is that a good one ?
The modem you have is purely determined by whether you have FTTN or FTTH. In your case you have FTTH. There is no good or 'bad' one.
Nov 14, 2014
86 posts
49 upvotes
I don't get the down votes for this offer. For me anyways, my service with Virgin's home internet has been great. Not once have I experienced a dropped connection so far in my current 50% promo (almost due for new one). I've actually been getting 61-63 Mbps from tests instead of the advertised 50 Mbps service, so it's a huge bonus for me. I do have the Valerie modem though.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3170 posts
2691 upvotes
HachiB901 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2019 8:29 am
I don't get the down votes for this offer. For me anyways, my service with Virgin's home internet has been great. Not once have I experienced a dropped connection so far in my current 50% promo (almost due for new one). I've actually been getting 61-63 Mbps from tests instead of the advertised 50 Mbps service, so it's a huge bonus for me. I do have the Valerie modem though.
Down votes are because some haven't been able to get the deal, while others were told they got the deal, but didn't.

As is always the case with Bellus/Robbers: billing and offer consistency can be a nightmare.

I for one got the deal without issue before this thread was created, and got documentation saying the deal was applied to my account. Still haven't received my bill since the change, so we'll see if it was actually applied properly.
Oct 25, 2004
562 posts
71 upvotes
virgin, what a garbage company. I called them and said I was going to cancel, and Fido has a cheaper plan, and their response "best we can do is $15 off". Yeah why the hell would I pay more for no reason. Cancelled I guess.
stanislavspon wrote:
Dec 19th, 2008 10:35 pm
There are certain extraterrestrial races who look upon us the way we look upon animals. Though such view is not held widely throughout the universe some extraterrestrial races view us to be a barbaric race. I would have to agree with them. Moreover planet earth is being quarantined and monitored specifically since we detonated the atomic bomb. Many extraterrestrial races are excited to see us evolve so we can join our galactic family of light.
Dec 8, 2006
608 posts
162 upvotes
vilator wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2019 9:44 am
virgin, what a garbage company. I called them and said I was going to cancel, and Fido has a cheaper plan, and their response "best we can do is $15 off". Yeah why the hell would I pay more for no reason. Cancelled I guess.

They dont care much about retention. Which is why I would go Fido from day 1.

I signed up for their 75mbps offer and Im getting around 100mbps with Speedtest. Better deal overall :)
Oct 8, 2016
25 posts
19 upvotes
vilator wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2019 9:44 am
The same could be said for fido. I had their 75mpbs for 50% off for a year. Called in when the promotion expired and the best they could do was 20$ off which would have been 45$ a month. Cancelled and now with virgin for 30$. Speeds just as fast as fido and I'm paying less :)
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3170 posts
2691 upvotes
Toweringbarracuda wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2019 11:03 am
The same could be said for fido. I had their 75mpbs for 50% off for a year. Called in when the promotion expired and the best they could do was 20$ off which would have been 45$ a month. Cancelled and now with virgin for 30$. Speeds just as fast as fido and I'm paying less :)
Exactly. Frankly there are three factors here:

1) The person asking isn't asking right, or not talking to the right person. Front line CS is useless, you need to get to retentions
2) The company is pulling back on the offer that particular moment
3) The CS person is being lazy, or is just annoyed, and won't give it to you

The NUMBER 1 rule is to actually be willing to cancel. If you aren't you likely won't be successful. If you aren't successful you have to cancel, otherwise they know you're bluffing and they won't bother offering you anything.

CSRs KNOW that most people are bluffing, and if they're not in the mood they simply won't offer the deal. The company knows this and is OK with it because they end up with more money in the end.
Mar 16, 2006
201 posts
142 upvotes
HachiB901 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2019 8:29 am
While I didn’t down vote, I won’t get the deal for the simple statement on their site.
“Prices may increase during subscription. Limited time offer.”

They always position it as a discount off the regular price. That lets them increase the regular price anytime they choose and next thing you know, you’re paying more yet again despite the discount. Been down that road with Bell too many times.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3170 posts
2691 upvotes
amac wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 2:44 pm
While I didn’t down vote, I won’t get the deal for the simple statement on their site.
“Prices may increase during subscription. Limited time offer.”

They always position it as a discount off the regular price. That lets them increase the regular price anytime they choose and next thing you know, you’re paying more yet again despite the discount. Been down that road with Bell too many times.
So? Sorry, but this makes no sense.

Say they increase the price. In that case: move to a different service!

You aren't tied to a contract.

I play Rogers and Bell against each other, switching from one to the other when the price is better. Didn't have to switch this past month since Virgin was able to offer me the 50% off for 12 month deal.
Mar 16, 2006
201 posts
142 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 10:08 am
So? Sorry, but this makes no sense.

Say they increase the price. In that case: move to a different service!

You aren't tied to a contract.

I play Rogers and Bell against each other, switching from one to the other when the price is better. Didn't have to switch this past month since Virgin was able to offer me the 50% off for 12 month deal.
Perhaps the number of posts you have made over the years versus the number of posts I’ve made is sufficient explanation. I don’t want to spend more time than I do looking for deals, switching providers more frequently or talking with customer retention staff at Bell/Rogers.

Let’s call it “peace of mind”.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1486 posts
866 upvotes
Peace of mind is great thing. I hate myself for calling Rogers every 12 months to cancel to get a better deal.

But I prefer to pay $30-35 max - hard to find from the independents these days.
Jul 20, 2017
163 posts
122 upvotes
My 1 year was up. Called a couple times asking for an extension or a reasonable price - they wanted to go up to the full 60, quite a rip off for 50mbps. But yea they wouldnt do shit. After I was very clearly cancelling they offered $50.

Got Cannet DSL for same price ($30 /month), same speed/ bell lines/service. Had it a month, no different, speed tests were always capped either way. 2 cents less actually, and while they do the dickhead 1 year pricing too,, year 2 price is already spelled out also discounted: $40. and full price is only $45.

And the guy actually suggested I buy the modem cheap on kijiji, so I did, 40 bucks. Sure it was free with virgin, but this way next year I dont have to worry about sending it back at least.

KW Area if curious. No fiber avail at my address sadly. And tried cable, shit on the weekends.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3170 posts
2691 upvotes
amac wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 2:24 pm
Perhaps the number of posts you have made over the years versus the number of posts I’ve made is sufficient explanation. I don’t want to spend more time than I do looking for deals, switching providers more frequently or talking with customer retention staff at Bell/Rogers.

Let’s call it “peace of mind”.
Hey, I'm like you, but: $360/year is $360/year. Spending 20 min on the phone a year to get $360 is worth it, for me.
Nov 20, 2005
87 posts
12 upvotes
My 1 year was up last month and so my last bill, I was charged the full $60. I called in earlier tonight to see if I could get the 50% off discount and after a quick 1min conversation with the front line rep and another 2 min conversation with retentations + about 10mins of waiting for approval, I was extended the discount.

I've not had any problems with Virgin high speed over the past year, I'm quite satisfied with their service, speed and the modem.