30% more AeroPlan miles when converting hotel points to AeroPlan

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 1:52 pm
May 19, 2017
176 posts
71 upvotes
slampii wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:09 pm
Any way to get more than 1:1 aeroplan points from Amex point using one of these hotel conversions?
Sadly, I've never seen more than 1:1 from AMEX to aeroplan. Long time ago, maybe but not for the last 2 years.
Aug 2, 2010
25 posts
9 upvotes
Ontario
slampii wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:09 pm
Any way to get more than 1:1 aeroplan points from Amex point using one of these hotel conversions?
I converted my Amex MR points to SPG. (2 MR points = 1 SPG)
I then converted my SPG to Marriot Rewards (1 SPG point = 3 Marriott Rewards points)
So for every 1 Amex MR point, you can convert to 1.5 Marriott points.

Marriott vacation packages include a 7-night stay and a generous amount of Aeroplan points (which receive the 30% bonus).
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Worth a look if you are considering converting Amex MR to Aeroplan.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7402 posts
1814 upvotes
Toronto
patpond wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:39 pm
Wouldn't it be 26K ? 20,000 at 1:1 x 1.3 = 26,000

I don't see the value in AE points though... am I doing something wrong? I can find more value typically using the points at the place they're from. Maybe that's just me though :-/
Transferring 20k SPG to ae gets 20k + 5k bonus ae. The 5k bonus is from SPG. This is before the 30% bonus ae is offering.
zaibii786 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:55 pm
It’s 20K + 5K SPG BONUS x 1.3 = 32.5K AE
Yes, after 20k SPG transfers to 25k ae, then add the 30% bonus, to get 32.5k ae.
May 13, 2007
424 posts
190 upvotes
British Columbia
FYI - if you read the last line of the offer, they have excluded the Marriot Vacation Packages this time.

I took advantage of the 35% bonus this summer and got 2 x 7-night Hotel Certificates, which was an incredible value, so I am very sad to see this exclusion this time...

pmlosier wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:48 pm
I then converted my SPG to Marriot Rewards (1 SPG point = 3 Marriott Rewards points)

Marriott vacation packages include a 7-night stay and a generous amount of Aeroplan points (which receive the 30% bonus).

Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
2490 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
smokie wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:36 am
FYI - if you read the last line of the offer, they have excluded the Marriot Vacation Packages this time.

I took advantage of the 35% bonus this summer and got 2 x 7-night Hotel Certificates, which was an incredible value, so I am very sad to see this exclusion this time...
It looks like Aeroplan is going to stop all future 7-night packages from getting the hotel transfer bonus. It's a big loss.

Anyone who still redeems the Marriott 7-night package - please report your datapoint on Aeroplan enforcing this. Thanks
May 19, 2017
176 posts
71 upvotes
If you're counting the 30% bonus for the upcoming trip, note that you may have to wait in January to show up.

"Bonus Aeroplan Miles may take up to 4-6 weeks to be credited after the promotional offer end date of December 11, 2017"
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
2060 posts
99 upvotes
Hmm. Is ae still worth it?. I have like 160,000 points and the last time I tried looking for lights to fort Lauderdale, it suck, no classic option and if there was one, after taxes I wasn't saving much, if any, if you put a value on the points.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5068 posts
321 upvotes
Ottawa
Can someone help me out with the best way to stay at a Hilton via points? I currently have MRP, AP & Expedia points. Can I take advantage of this bonus 30% for booking a Hilton?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3340 posts
776 upvotes
I know I missed the bonus conversion from Amex points a few months ago, but how often does that happen? Is it only once a year?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2569 posts
371 upvotes
Nepean
I'm trying to book 4 nights with my SPG. I'm short about 5000 points for the last night. Any deals on best way to transfer points or earn points. I already transferred all my Marriott points over so looking for other ways now.
Dec 5, 2015
318 posts
336 upvotes
Verdun, QC
zzricezz wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:17 pm
Hmm. Is ae still worth it?. I have like 160,000 points and the last time I tried looking for lights to fort Lauderdale, it suck, no classic option and if there was one, after taxes I wasn't saving much, if any, if you put a value on the points.
Yes

-look for flight on carriers that dont charge crazy fees like Air Canada does. United, Swiss, Lufthansa even Brussels.

-we often compare prices with low cost carriers but don't account for additional fees
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11114 posts
1476 upvotes
Markham
pmlosier wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:48 pm

Curious what did you use all the Marriott Points on? I'm looking around at how to use the rest of my AMEX MR Points and debating converting them to Marriott through SPG....trying to find the best value right now.
Jan 8, 2012
441 posts
171 upvotes
Williams Lake
Does anyone know if the bonus points show up at the same time the transferred points show up in your Aeroplan account?

EDIT: When in doubt, why not look at the T&Cs?
BONUS MILE CREDITING: Bonus Aeroplan Miles may take up to 4-6 weeks to be credited after the promotional offer end date of December 11, 2017.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
2490 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
Did anyone get a Marriott 7-night package with Aeroplan miles during this Aeroplan 30% hotel transfer bonus promotion?

Did you get the 30% Aeroplan bonus on the Marriott 7-night package?

Or did Aeroplan enforce the exclusion of the 30% bonus from Marriott 7-night package like they said so in the terms and conditions?