• Jan 28th, 2019 5:51 pm
[OP]
Dec 3, 2012
979 posts
476 upvotes
Hongcouver

$300 budget smart phones

Hi all,

I am looking for a new phone and hoping to take advantage of one of the cheaper smart phones on the market.
I saw a bunch of new Chinese made phones like the Red MI Note 7, or the MI Mix 3..... anyone have any experience with these phones? I notice they are both around the $300 range.... and their features are pretty impressive especially for that price.

Any input would help!

Thank you!
CheapBuddy wrote:
Sep 4th, 2013 2:34 pm
thanks you, i like this balls a lot, at Tin Horton... i got balls before at walmart and where all dry and old
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20060 posts
6198 upvotes
I swore of Xiaomi because of their insane bootloader unlocking process.

I had to wait 30 days before I could unlock mine. There's some that had to wait 60 days.
That and they wouldn't release kernel sources to make some proprietary things work.

On paper they're decent. I can't stand the stock OS, so you basically have to unlock the bootloader in order to load a sane OS onto it.

Luckily more and more devices are GSI compatible so it's trivial finding an OS that works.
There's still some quirks sometimes (see above due to kernel sources) like my magnetic cover doesn't work.

I've given up on "real" manufacturers for one reason or another so most of my new devices from here on in are going to be Chinese.
Xiaomi however is not going to be one of them.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16977 posts
14104 upvotes
Toronto
If you can find a good condition, used Essential PH-1 phone it is pretty sweet. Pure Android 9 with latest security updates. Scheduled to get Android Q too. Great battery life too. I've had a bunch of phones, including Xiaomi, but the Essential is one of my favs so far.
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
[OP]
Dec 3, 2012
979 posts
476 upvotes
Hongcouver
sprung wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:15 am
If you can find a good condition, used Essential PH-1 phone it is pretty sweet. Pure Android 9 with latest security updates. Scheduled to get Android Q too. Great battery life too. I've had a bunch of phones, including Xiaomi, but the Essential is one of my favs so far.
The essential phone (which I have never looked into) are a bit older now isn't it? The thing I hate searching for phones are every 2-3 years you need a new phone, but during the process you are completely disconnected unless you are interested in this line of technologies haha.

Thank you guys for the input!
CheapBuddy wrote:
Sep 4th, 2013 2:34 pm
thanks you, i like this balls a lot, at Tin Horton... i got balls before at walmart and where all dry and old
Feb 20, 2015
127 posts
90 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Be careful with the Chinese phones... great price vs features ratio but don't be the guy who buys the phone and finds out it only gets a couple LTE bands in Canada. Check the frequencies they work on.

I bought a Moto G6+ on amazon, $344. Fast, near stock Android, nice screen, long battery life, gets almost any LTE frequency in the world, working on Android 9. A little more money but you get what you pay for. When the Moto 7 Series comes out soon, they'll probably discount the 6 series.