• Apr 6th, 2012 11:05 am
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
ItechJester wrote:
Aug 4th, 2011 10:50 pm
There are hundreds of employees at Environment Canada with PhD's and engineering degrees about to lose their job. I hope you are very, very secure in your job as the government continues to axe highly qualified professionals, who will be now entering the job market looking to bump others out.
Some of them will have the high qualifications to succeed in private sector.

but for most? not really ... I wonder how they will integrate to the pace of private sector and reality, compared to their laid back, inefficient and do nothing job with the government.

this thread should be in off topic :arrow:
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1402 posts
138 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm on the inside and I can tell you that the package is very nice (approx 2 years salary + education) and they are not only laying off term employees, a lot of full timers were laid off.

For the most part they are laying off useless overpaid people and keeping the decent people.
Sep 21, 2004
10006 posts
4017 upvotes
Calgary
drey2k wrote:
Apr 4th, 2012 5:22 pm
I'm on the inside and I can tell you that the package is very nice (approx 2 years salary + education) and they are not only laying off term employees, a lot of full timers were laid off.

For the most part they are laying off useless overpaid people and keeping the decent people.

term employees don't get crap.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3925 posts
736 upvotes
christinak1 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2012 3:46 pm
Your dumb. Service Canada doesn't even Issue photo ID's. Who can trust comments from someone who doesnt know the difference between right and left.

Before you go calling names, you should learn the difference between your and you're. You sound like a pissed off Service Canada employee who can't process people's EI claims anymore. Don't worry, our tax dollars will go towards paying for your severance package and getting you into elementary school.
Sep 21, 2004
10006 posts
4017 upvotes
Calgary
nx6288 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 12:01 am
Before you go calling names, you should learn the difference between your and you're. You sound like a pissed off Service Canada employee who can't process people's EI claims anymore. Don't worry, our tax dollars will go towards paying for your severance package and getting you into elementary school.

LOL. Every employees at the Service Canada office I worked for has university degrees, quite a few have Master's degrees. Someone is a staunch Tory supporter, I think. Oh, what kind of English is this "before you go calling names" :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
137 upvotes
damnos wrote:
Apr 4th, 2012 4:32 pm
Some of them will have the high qualifications to succeed in private sector.

but for most? not really ... I wonder how they will integrate to the pace of private sector and reality, compared to their laid back, inefficient and do nothing job with the government.

this thread should be in off topic :arrow:

Lololol

I wonder how government employees reintegrate themselves into the private sector.

Resume: "Worked in the government for 20 years."
HR Personnel: "This guy must be expecting a high salary + benefits and with a minimum workload."
Nov 27, 2004
947 posts
53 upvotes
UnrealPaul wrote:
Aug 10th, 2011 10:35 pm
People like you sicken me. Yeah, I bet it really is "boner inducing" to watch hundreds of people you don't know get laid off.

And yet, when it's mommy or daddy at home who gets laid off, it's always the likes of you that bitches, cries and moans the loudest about how life suddenly became a lot more difficult as you start eating baloney sandwiches for a few days straight for lunch and dinner.

Get a stable job and then lose it. Come back to me and tell me with a straight face that it makes you feel aroused. Jerk.

Good post. It really upsets me when people get off on people losing their livelihood.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41292 posts
5029 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
christinak1 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2012 3:46 pm
Your dumb. Service Canada doesn't even Issue photo ID's. Who can trust comments from someone who doesnt know the difference between right and left.

They probably mistaken it for the "Service Ontario" centers that issue driving permits, health cards and various other services.
Sep 21, 2004
10006 posts
4017 upvotes
Calgary
UrbanPoet wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 2:59 pm
They probably mistaken it for the "Service Ontario" centers that issue driving permits, health cards and various other services.

Speaking of which, does anyone know most Service Ontario centres are privately owned? Workers in these Service Ontario centres don't get paid that well (we're talking $15/hr or less). I didn't know this until a couple months ago. So people, next time you visit Service Ontario centres, remember these workers aren't actual government workers and are only paid slightly higher than McJobs. Government of Ontario outsourced these jobs to cut costs.
Jun 14, 2010
731 posts
39 upvotes
Edmonton
Were the F-35 fighter planes worth it?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Le Loon wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 7:41 pm

Wow .. irrelevant argument from another topic. To keep in line with what you said though: Was eHealth and ORNGE worth it? and just now: Pan Am salaries! Yet another $$$$ from McGuinty.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
1810 posts
61 upvotes
Wahooo!!!! I can't wait until we get huge tax breaks for this. 300 civil servants? I think Harper will send me at least a $3000 cheque soon!

Update:

City of Toronto saved gazzillions by spending a year in the media and playing hard ball with the civil service. Mammolitti is still writing $1500.00 cheques to all the Torontonians who saved so much money by cutting the civil service.

When I get my $4500 I'm going to vote conservative.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
1810 posts
61 upvotes
Le Loon wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 7:41 pm
Of course it was! Small government, lower taxes, and strong military.

Pakistan is the role model of the world when it comes to that and look how well they are doing. Hopefully, some day Canada will be like Pakistan by adopting the same policies.