• Dec 7th, 2010 3:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1325 posts
510 upvotes

32 or 37 tv

For financial reasons, I've had to scrap my plans to build an addition that would include a tv room. So, for the next 3-4 yrs, my tv will have to be in the living room, in a corner, on top of an antique dresser (where a 24 currently sits). Not ideal, so I don't want a huge tv that will overpower the room. A 32doesn't seem to be that much smaller than a 37 in the stores, but if I go for the 32 will I end up being disappointed? I mostly will be on the couch 7ft away, but also watch from the dining room 15-20 ft away, and frequently glance around the corner from the kitchen to check the score of the game.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
With standard-definition TVs, the rule used to be that viewers would feel comfortable watching a set from a distance of 3 to 6 times the screen size in inches. With HDTV, the resolution is so much better that you can sit closer to a larger TV without noticing the pixels. So with HDTV LCD TV, the rule tends to be you can sit anywhere from 1.5 to 3 times the screen size (in inches) for the best experience.

• For viewing distance around 4 feet, best HDTV LCD TV from 19” to 32”
• For viewing distance around 6 feet, best HDTV LCD TV from 26” to 46”
• For viewing distance around 8 feet, best HDTV LCD TV from 32” to 63”
• For viewing distance around 10 feet, best HDTV LCD TV from 40” to 80”
• For viewing distance around 12 feet, best HDTV LCD TV from 46” to 96”
• For viewing distance around 14 feet, best HDTV LCD TV from 52” to 112”

Source: http://lcd-hdtv-info.com/what-hdtv-lcd- ... your-room/

Amazon UK agrees.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
37" definitely if you can afford it. They might look similar in the store, but it makes a big difference once you set it in the room.

IMO I need a 40"+ set if I am viewing 7 feet away, but that's probably not normal. :)
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4899 posts
100 upvotes
Local
Also when you first get the tv, it looks huge at first. Then slowly it becomes the norm....Say you go with the "37, then u visit a friends house and he has a "32...then you'll compare.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1325 posts
510 upvotes
If I get the 37 I will try to get a corner swivel mount and hang it on the wall, then I can push it back out of the way if need be. The problem is that one wall is only 3 1/2 ft before it hits a big bay window, and the other will just be large enough to fit the tv, as it opens up to the hallway.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that the 37 is better, but I also don't like the main part of my home by the front door looking like it revolves around a tv.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
john widow wrote: Also when you first get the tv, it looks huge at first. Then slowly it becomes the norm....Say you go with the "37, then u visit a friends house and he has a "32...then you'll compare.
Ha ha and so true.

Many years ago, my father got a 23" inch b&w CRT TV to try out because the local dealer said he didn't have any 19" TV's in stock. A few weeks later, when the dealer turned up with the 19" TV, everybody was stunned at how small it looked and demanded that the 23" be kept. Salesmanship even back then :)
Dec 6, 2010
107 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Also one thing you should consider if you can control the light in your room. It can affect your viewing experience for example glare or minor refraction. Curtains Do wonders.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1325 posts
510 upvotes
While the thread is active I am open to recommendations. I will probably buy it at Costco (for the warranty) or at The Bay or Sears. I don't mind buying at FS or BB, but I don't like going there when something goes wrong. Plus I just like Dept Stores, and I can get my mother in law to use her senior's discount!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
40" and 50" are the sweet spots for bang for your buck these days.

There is no reason to get anything smaller unless you're putting on a desk or physically don't have the room for the TV.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
john widow wrote: Also when you first get the tv, it looks huge at first. Then slowly it becomes the norm....
I totally agree with this statement. I was decided between a 40" and 46". I ended up getting a 46", and thought it was too big at first. A couple of days later, I thought it was the perfect size, and still think that now.

OP: get a 37"
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1325 posts
510 upvotes
I already have a TD Visa! Is this an auspicious sign? Thanks for the tip.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6564 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
There's no such thing as too big. Save up for something bigger or don't buy anything at all. Buying a 32/37 would be a waste of money considering sometimes you are viewing from 15-20'. 50" 720P plasma can be had for $599. At 7' away, I would get at least 42/46".
This space for rent

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)