Automotive

325i or Maxima

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2005 2:44 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Which is a better buy for me?

• Total votes: 35. You have voted on this poll.
2000 BMW 325 (maybe 323)?

40%
2000 Nissan Maxima?

60%
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6632 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto

325i or Maxima

Looking for a used car. I have narrowed 'em down to BMW 325i or Nissan Maxima [ Both 2000 models]. I would have to partially finance 325, maxima I should be able to buy direct.
325i is RWD and no good in snow.
Maxima FWD but probably will buy auto [v hard to find 5spd stick in decent price]

Accelration, responsive (handling), maintenance cost are key factor that matters to me. I would like to say gas but for these kind of cars I don't have the option of saying that :lol:
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters ... until its solved.
Stay in the know - subscribe.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6632 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
Looking for a used car. I have narrowed 'em down to BMW 325i or Nissan Maxima [ Both 2000 models]. I would have to partially finance 325, maxima I should be able to buy direct.
- 325i is RWD and not so good in snow.
- Maxima FWD but probably will buy auto [v hard to find 5spd stick in decent price]

Accelration, responsive (handling), maintenance cost are key factor that matters to me. I would like to say gas but for these kind of cars I don't have the option of saying that :lol:

Not looking for long term [1-2yrs]. Will sell it after, so resale matters.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2714 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
the BMW is acutally not bad in snow if you have TC and 4 snow tires. With the 50/50 weight balance.
I would vote for the BMW, better resale value in a few years, and more fun than you'll have in the Maxima.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1717 posts
1 upvote
you will be paying more for repairs if there are any though (on the bmw). On a 2000 model E46, check out e46fanatics.com, they have a buying guide for things to look for.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26761 posts
9330 upvotes
where I belong
You should remove your other thread
and post prices for each car

I think I'll suggest BMW, 2000 should be still 323i
better resale value indeed, but nice choice if you don't plan to buy one in the future (ie. only chance at driving a BMW now)

In fact, I have a 2000 323i now, bought used (was debating between that or new 2005 Mazda 3)

Pretty happy with 323, even though I'm scared of winter now (this winter is 1st winter for the car).

Still can't get over the not-free-inspection from BMW though, ha ha, comparing with Honda.
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6632 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
Other thread? :confused:

Honda doesn't give free insepections either.

BMW325 = $18,000 + Tax (maybe more)
Maxima = $10,500 (ish) + Tax
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6632 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
BMW has better resale than Maxima? It seems BMW sellers are somewhat desperate in selling yet a good maxima are getting sold within 2 hours of it being posted on autotrader (8am to be exact).

Please post in the thread with poll - not sure how this came into existance :)
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2003
1306 posts
216 upvotes
It's nice to see that the high gas prices hasn't affected people's choice of cars.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
1516 posts
1 upvote
Burnaby, B.C.
I've had friends who have owned both cars. If you want to feel all special, buy the BMW. It's a very nice car. However, if you want to have less repair headaches, and cheaper repairs at that, buy the Maxima.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6632 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
prof_frink wrote:It's nice to see that the high gas prices hasn't affected people's choice of cars.
it has .. I started with BMW 740li v12! as a potential car ... hehehe.
As I said, not long term. You only live once, gotta live it up while I have a chance :)

@djspazz: I know man, thats the whole problem. Its exactly the dillemma. How much is it worth it to feel "special" (more in the eyes of other). :)

[Plz no lectures about self-confidence, we shouldn't care wat other's think, etc]
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
ok, i voted for the Maxipad. here's why. i don't mind german vehicles, but (1) they have to be new and (2), if they're not new, they should be at least "mid-range"(*) or "specialty" so I'd start with a 5-series or M3 or maybe even a roadster.

* = mid-range within the context of a luxury brand, of course
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1391 posts
143 upvotes
Edmonton
Since maintenance is a factor and you would have to finance to get the BMW. It suggests to me that $$$ for repairs would affect you very much.
These 5 years old cars are going to be up for some maintenance and repairs..... Go with the Maxi.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)