Expired Hot Deals

35% more miles when you convert your hotel points into Aeroplan Miles

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2017 9:06 am
Dec 17, 2007
44 posts
Toronto
Any way to take advantage of this if you have Amex membership points?
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
200 upvotes
tark514 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 7:55 pm
That figure is 8% capacity... This is huge. Basicly 8% of all seats AC flies Aeroplan buys. Add the Star Alliance seats, the market fare seats, and you get a lot of availability. If you are flexible with dates there's usually something available to you.
This is very fishy figure. I think any segment of that is sold out, it is unavailable so basically any flight that requires connecting at major centre, there aren't any tickets.

I've been searching both 1 year out long weekend tickets as well as tickets to alaska or other more expensive destinations. They got none.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1439 posts
431 upvotes
mr jbb wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:22 pm
Any way to take advantage of this if you have Amex membership points?
Yes, convert Amex to SPG at 2:1, then convert to Marriott at 1:3, and then do a travel package. Of course you need to have enough points. But as an example, 180k Amex = 90k spg = 270k Marriott = 120k + 42k Aeroplan + 7 night Cat 5 Hotel package
Las Vegas Hotel & Shows 30%-70% Off - MyCheapVegas.com

Or need help planning your Las Vegas trip, send me a pm.
Dec 5, 2015
147 posts
191 upvotes
Verdun, QC
hiddenthread wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:24 pm
This is very fishy figure. I think any segment of that is sold out, it is unavailable so basically any flight that requires connecting at major centre, there aren't any tickets.

I've been searching both 1 year out long weekend tickets as well as tickets to alaska or other more expensive destinations. They got none.
Even is this is true with the amount of flight to major hubs a day 8% is still quite alot of capacity. I'm not saying there's always availably all the time but my experience with them has been good 8/10 which is better than most other pts program. Long weekends are usually taken up but that is true for pretty much any program.
Just check as I was curious and I can book Aug 19 to 29 to Alaska from Montréal 202$.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1168 posts
351 upvotes
New York City
tark514 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 7:55 pm
That figure is 8% capacity... This is huge. Basicly 8% of all seats AC flies Aeroplan buys. Add the Star Alliance seats, the market fare seats, and you get a lot of availability. If you are flexible with dates there's usually something available to you.
Agreed. Thing is many ppl, who don't happen to fly on AC and collect miles through credit card spend/singup bonus, want to fly in business and/or direct routes, during high season to the most popular destinations. Extreme example I know. More directed towards those that say they CANNOT find anything.
Jul 22, 2010
403 posts
56 upvotes
bobu wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:27 pm
Yes, convert Amex to SPG at 2:1, then convert to Marriott at 1:3, and then do a travel package. Of course you need to have enough points. But as an example, 180k Amex = 90k spg = 270k Marriott = 120k + 42k Aeroplan + 7 night Cat 5 Hotel package
so how long would this process take from beginning to end?
Mar 27, 2006
175 posts
99 upvotes
bobu wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:27 pm
My understanding is if you "earn" Aeroplan points you won't get the conversion bonus.
Mar 22, 2006
919 posts
105 upvotes
youbet wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 9:49 am
My understanding is if you "earn" Aeroplan points you won't get the conversion bonus.
Marriott packages are treated as transfers so they are eligible for the bonus
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
200 upvotes
McKinsey wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 9:20 am
Agreed. Thing is many ppl, who don't happen to fly on AC and collect miles through credit card spend/singup bonus, want to fly in business and/or direct routes, during high season to the most popular destinations. Extreme example I know. More directed towards those that say they CANNOT find anything.
Never searched for business class
Not looking for a direct route

Still nothing 1 year out

So dont assume Im looking for privllage I just want any ticket for family of 3. I understand popular ticket sell out but full year ahead is a joke.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1168 posts
351 upvotes
New York City
hiddenthread wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 10:09 am

Still nothing 1 year out

So dont assume Im looking for privllage I just want any ticket for family of 3. I understand popular ticket sell out but full year ahead is a joke.
Come over on FlyerTalk and ask us for help. Many of us are happy to help. Key is to be flexible in dates/locations.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6897 posts
1484 upvotes
Toronto
I had converted hotel points to aeropeso before. Not now. Will try to use up the points we still have, as the value may disappear soon.
McKinsey wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 10:19 am
Come over on FlyerTalk and ask us for help. Many of us are happy to help. Key is to be flexible in dates/locations.
Yes, be flexible to fly on dates you cannot go, to places you are not planning to go. But if people have certain dates and locations and there is no availability in fixed milage seats, you're out of luck.
Aug 30, 2013
325 posts
123 upvotes
prairies
If you recently signed up for the Best western promos (40k or 60k) it might be worthwhile to transfer them over to aeroplan for a nice bonus.
May 3, 2013
15 posts
24 upvotes
It's true in some case but if you call Aeroplan, they can create a route for you.
For example, I couldn't see anything for Toronto to Melbourne and finally found 1 day in September YYZ - SFO - MEL but the it was united from SFO - MEL for 15h35m

I called and asked to create a custom route and was able to book YYZ - IST - SIN - MEL with layovers to enjoy both IST & SIN free stopover tour offers
Dec 5, 2015
147 posts
191 upvotes
Verdun, QC
hiddenthread wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 10:09 am

Still nothing 1 year out

It's ashame that you aren't trying hard enough. I feel for you... Out of curiosity i checked and I can find 3 tickets YUL-ANC Aug 27-sept 3 (ei labour day weekend).

Ppl can bitch about Aeroplan but you'd be hard pressed to find a better program.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1439 posts
431 upvotes
Scavos wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 9:23 am
so how long would this process take from beginning to end?
Pretty fast. A few days for Amex to SPG, then SPG to Marriott is instant, and then Marriott to Travel Package is about 2 weeks to get Aeroplan, instant to get 7 night voucher. They will apparently backdate the redemption to date when u did the package though, and not when you get the points.
Las Vegas Hotel & Shows 30%-70% Off - MyCheapVegas.com

Or need help planning your Las Vegas trip, send me a pm.