• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2017 9:28 am
Aug 25, 2015
959 posts
217 upvotes
Montreal, QC
vonblock wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 1:19 pm
Dude, the goal of cheap flight is to go in another country for cheap.

The op deal is phenomenal. Sure you won't have the best 7 hours in your life but use all the money you and your loved ones saved and go to great French restaurant.

Thank op for the deal!
this!

you are going to freaking Paris. save that money spent on wifi, seat selection and whatnot and spend it in Paris with a REAL cooked meal by some of the best chefs in the world and drink the BEST wine France has and to boot, its dirty cheap. want to see the city up high? book a helicopter tour of Paris. what are you going to look at flying over the atlantic? water? and more water?
Jul 26, 2007
936 posts
69 upvotes
Calgary
vonblock wrote:
Dude, the goal of cheap flight is to go in another country for cheap.

The op deal is phenomenal. Sure you won't have the best 7 hours in your life but use all the money you and your loved ones saved and go to great French restaurant.

Thank op for the deal!
seriously, it's 7 hours.

if there was a deal like this from YYC to CDG, you can bet your behind that i'm jumping on it right away.

bring your own entertainment, snacks, and just sleep the 7 hours off. it's not that hard.
Temporel wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 11:27 pm
Sleep? You are flying! You are missing the fun!
um..................... is this a troll? please do tell what "fun" things you do on a transatlantic metal tube for 7+ hours. read a book? watch a movie? do a few sudokus? oh wait.. i can do all of those things already when i'm on the ground here in canada. i guess you can roll up the window and look at the clouds (if it's daytime), i'll give you that, but i'm guessing you're the type of person that finds watching paint dry fun too if that's your cup of tea.
Mar 7, 2013
80 posts
48 upvotes
Ontario
Temporel wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 8:28 pm
Thank you for posting but I have to give this thread a thumb down. This is NOT a hot deal unless you don't mind travelling with only a carry on, having a middle seat and bringing your own (expensive post security) food/water on board,

40 € ($60 CAD) for a checked luggage each way = $120 extra on a round trip.
30 € ($45 CAD) for selecting your seat each way = $90 extra on a around trip.
35 € ($52 CAD) for a hot meal each way = $104 extra on a round trip. At that price, I want a French Chef to make me Crèpes Suzette flambées au Cognac at my seat!
12 € ($18 CAD) for a blanket, cushion and amenity kit. Better hope you don't get cold on the plane.

You want Wi-Fi?
That'll be 9 € ($14 CAD for ONE hour (40 MB bandwith). Yes, that's 40 Mega Bytes!
Or, 30 € ($45 CAD) for 200 MB. EACH WAY!
Better make sure to turn off your Windows/antivirus updates.

So when you calculate the total cost of the extras that make sitting in an aluminium tube on a tight seat for 7-8 hours bearable, you realize it's pretty close to a legacy airline price.
Not much of a deal here. Move along...

P.S.: Thank God they they don't charge you to use the toilet.
Right???!!! Plus:

230 € ($356 CAD) for an extra seat for your personal masseuse.
30 € ($45 CAD) for selecting his/her seat beside you each way.
230 € ($356 CAD) for a seat just for extra stuff since a laptop, pillow, blanket, amenity kit, teeth whitening kit, herbal exfoliation socks, ect won't fit elsewhere.
30 € ($45 CAD) for selecting your stuff-seat each way.

You want to play the new VR skyrim on flight? You need to buy your own friggin oculus rift and gaming laptop!!! Where does the corporate greed stop?
Jan 19, 2011
688 posts
279 upvotes
Montreal
redon2 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:22 pm
Right???!!! Plus:

230 € ($356 CAD) for an extra seat for your personal masseuse.
30 € ($45 CAD) for selecting his/her seat beside you each way.
230 € ($356 CAD) for a seat just for extra stuff since a laptop, pillow, blanket, amenity kit, teeth whitening kit, herbal exfoliation socks, ect won't fit elsewhere.
30 € ($45 CAD) for selecting your stuff-seat each way.

You want to play the new VR skyrim on flight? You need to buy your own friggin oculus rift and gaming laptop!!! Where does the corporate greed stop?
I don't fly with anyone that charges me to select my stuff seat.
Apr 10, 2011
844 posts
521 upvotes
Montreal
vonblock wrote:
(...) The op deal is phenomenal. (...)
"Phenomenal" Really? Lol

Wow air regularly makes Montreal-Paris for $440 and cheaper when on sale.

You don’t know what a Hot deal is so as soon as you see an introductory offer you shout Miracle!

Here are a few recent REAL Hot deals from Montreal from YUL Deals. I don’t want to make undue publicity for that site but that guy doesn’t crow for every mediocre deal that comes along. Also, he recently commented on the “unbundling” phenomena quite thoughtfully.

Nov 23 Montreal to Dubai or Cairo $498 CAD with Royal Jordanian
Nov 14 Montreal to Tokyo $663 CAD with All Nippon Airways/United
Oct 17 Montreal to Port Louis, Mauritius - $658 CAD with Air France
Sep 14 Montreal to Yangon $499 CAD with Air China
Aug 29 Montreal to Shanghai and Taipei $402 CAD with United

Now those are Hot deals. The Level! deal is just that, a deal, not a Hot deal and certainly not a "Phenomenal" deal.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2213 posts
428 upvotes
Kingston
Orly is a decent airport and is actually closer to the city than CDG. The nearest main metro stop is not far from the main tourist hub of Bvd St Michel/Bvd St Germain (Latin quarter) and sights like Notre Dame. This is an excellent price for a trip. Don't bother with a car rental, just get a metro pass and don't worry too much about hotel location (as long as it's reasonably safe and inside the main city boundary...ie not the banlieu areas) as with the metro you are literally minutes away from everything. Every arrondissement has its own charm.
Sep 4, 2016
38 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 11:27 pm
Really? You had to use "WhyTF"?

It’s a discussion forum… you feel offended? Do you own shares in IAG (Level!, Iberia, British airways, etc.)?

It’s a "Hot deals forum". As in "Let's discuss if this a hot deal or not."

In my opinion, it’s not. It’s like comparing apples and oranges. All you see is the price and not the value. The low price you are seeing includes nothing. Apples are cheaper but they are no oranges. If you like apples, fine by me. But you didn’t get a "hot deal" because you bought apples instead of oranges. Apples are cheaper, period.

Have you ever considered that maybe not everyone thinks like you?

"Pack light" If you like to stew in your own stinky clothes for days or if you have nothing better to do with your time while on vacation than laundry every other day, fine by me. I like to change clothes daily and don’t like to do laundry while on vacation or pay someone else to do it.

"Why is selecting a seat necessary?" Again, if you don’t mind a middle seat, fine by me. But most people prefer to sit together (which you won’t necessarily get if you don’t pay for seat selection) or by a window to look outside and not be bothered (straddled) whenever your big burly row mate needs to pee or by the aisle to get up easily. Different stokes for different folks, if you don’t mind.

"Stop being so needy." Needy? It’s about enjoying life. Unless you are totally "blasé" and fly 3 times a week, flying is supposed to be fun; an event. To me, looking out the window while taking off or landing is still a rush.

Sleep? You are flying! You are missing the fun! Are you going to sleep your life? Plus, not everyone can sleep while being seated upright or likes popping pills.

Pack your food? A sandwish like when you were going on a field trip in a yellow bus when you were at elementary school? Come on! You are flying over an ocean! There is pleasure in a nice meal with a glass of wine while cruising at 40,000 feet or the smell of hot croissants in the cabin served with orange juice just before landing in Rome at sunrise. Live a little!

“You realize you're flying economy right? “

All of those things (baggage, meal, drinks, seat, wi-fi at a reasonable price, blanket, pillow, etc.) are included in economy flights with many legacy carriers that offer "real" deals regularly. Nobody talked about first class priority boarding, champagne and pyjamas. Of course you pay for what you get indirectly in the price of the ticket but I don’t like beeing jerked around by a low advertised price to be then nickel and dimed for everything. And it’s not nickel and dimed it’s $52 here and $90 there for things that cost an airline almost nothing. $52 for a single airplane meal is outrageous and so is $90 for seat selection on a round trip whether you want/need it or not.

My point is these new low cost carriers (Level!, Joon, Norwegian, Wow, etc.) try to steal focus (in Google Flights, in amateurish blogs, etc.) by advertising deep discounted prices that include nothing that the legacy carriers regularly include. In the end, when everything is tallied, for many people, it’s not much of a deal, if any.

Further more, what disappointed me with Level! is the deceptive way they do business:

When you book your economy flight, you are not shown the option to add a baggage, a meal or select a seat. They say that you can add those things afterwards in the "manage reservations" section… once your ticket is purchased! No prices are shown beforehand – and for a good reason, they are outrageous! Sneaky!

Finally, the cherry on the sundae, their Wi-Fi pricing: Wi-Fi is expensive and restricted on planes that’s a given. But I’ve never seen a bandwidth cap of 200 MB on such a ridiculous price for Wi-Fi of $45 one way! Do you realize how little is 200 MB?

So if you don’t mind traveling like a teenager, go with Level! but I’ll stick with my opinion that this is not a HOT deal. Thank you.
Wow, you sound like a nice guy.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1128 posts
77 upvotes
how is anything involving United a hot deal?
Guy complains about low cost airline and is fine with multi legs United. smh

I wish downvotes still existed
Apr 10, 2011
844 posts
521 upvotes
Montreal
manho wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:23 pm
how is anything involving United a hot deal?
Guy complains about low cost airline and is fine with multi legs United. smh

I wish downvotes still existed
Now let's not turn this into a "bash United" thread: it's about Level! deal - is it hot or not?
I flew many times with United and so do millions of people each year.
Not everyone gets beaten. ;-)
Clear web site, frequent "real" deals, courteous flight attendants,
Included: one checked baggage, seat selection, good food, drinks, blanket/pillow, decent IFE, frequent flyer program, etc.
Reasonably price Wi-Fi.

If you think Montreal to Shanghai AND Taipei for $402 CAD is NOT a Hot deal just because it's United, you are hopeless.
Feb 18, 2008
356 posts
792 upvotes
Amazing price, but would probably never risk it, I have a really hard time sleeping in upright seat causing me to have a huge jet lag for several days afterwards. Tried to find comfortable flight (in economy) to remedy it but didn't had a lot of success so far.

Kind of ironic. There's lot of people on rfd bashing rouge but all claw out defending Level. Everyone has it's priority, but imo he's still got a point...It may be for some but not everyone.

Just saw that they're charging for water! That's really greedy...

So you'll bring one little small carry one for a trip of minimum 7 days, pack your lunch in it plus your laptop/tablette, universal charger and a huge bottle of water?
I lost the ability to remember things when I lost the right to a full night's sleep.
May 7, 2008
476 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
I do concede that the headline pricing is misleading especially in aggregators like Google Flights, Kayak etc. - but I think most savvy travelers these days can figure out the total all in cost.

But, I for one like to have options - I don't want to pay for things that I don't use. E.g. if choose to pack light - I don't want to subsidize the guys who are packing half of their home into 2 bags, or if I don't eat the crappy food they serve on the plane, I don't want to subsidize people who want wine with their overcooked chicken breast and dry dinner roll with butter as hard as rock. I actually hate eating airplane meals but I hate wasting food and money even more, and I almost feel like I have digest the food, so as not to waste. Make me feel pretty gross though afterwards. This is coming from someone who has travelled many years in business and first class (paid for the company, of course!), so I've seen both sides of the cabin, and I can't justify paying for more than what I use.

The all-in pricing of legacy carriers don't allow me to strip away these type of options, so I feel I end up paying for services I don't use. These discount carriers do.

But then again, value is going to be different to every traveller. I'm the type who would rather stay in a modest hotel or AirBNB to save money to actually do things like have great meals etc., as I tend to only shower and sleep in my accommodations. But I have friends and colleagues who will spend a lot of time in their rooms and I get why they need to have certain comforts that result in $300/night rooms. All perspective, I say.

Temporel wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 8:28 pm
Thank you for posting but I have to give this thread a thumb down. This is NOT a hot deal unless you don't mind travelling with only a carry on, having a middle seat and bringing your own (expensive post security) food/water on board,

40 € ($60 CAD) for a checked luggage each way = $120 extra on a round trip.
30 € ($45 CAD) for selecting your seat each way = $90 extra on a around trip.
35 € ($52 CAD) for a hot meal each way = $104 extra on a round trip. At that price, I want a French Chef to make me Crèpes Suzette flambées au Cognac at my seat!
12 € ($18 CAD) for a blanket, cushion and amenity kit. Better hope you don't get cold on the plane.

You want Wi-Fi?
That'll be 9 € ($14 CAD for ONE hour (40 MB bandwith). Yes, that's 40 Mega Bytes!
Or, 30 € ($45 CAD) for 200 MB. EACH WAY!
Better make sure to turn off your Windows/antivirus updates.

So when you calculate the total cost of the extras that make sitting in an aluminium tube on a tight seat for 7-8 hours bearable, you realize it's pretty close to a legacy airline price.
Not much of a deal here. Move along...

P.S.: Thank God they they don't charge you to use the toilet.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2407 posts
912 upvotes
Montreal
loletifie wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 11:24 pm
Amazing price, but would probably never risk it, I have a really hard time sleeping in upright seat causing me to have a huge jet lag for several days afterwards. Tried to find comfortable flight (in economy) to remedy it but didn't had a lot of success so far.

Kind of ironic. There's lot of people on rfd bashing rouge but all claw out defending Level. Everyone has it's priority, but imo he's still got a point...It may be for some but not everyone.

Just saw that they're charging for water! That's really greedy...

So you'll bring one little small carry one for a trip of minimum 7 days, pack your lunch in it plus your laptop/tablette, universal charger and a huge bottle of water?
If it's was a 21 hours flight to Vietnam, I would agree, but a short 7 hours flight is just that. Eat a Montreal poutine before leaving and you won't be hungry for another 7 hours.
Nov 26, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Temporel wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 5:33 pm

Nov 23 Montreal to Dubai or Cairo $498 CAD with Royal Jordanian
Nov 14 Montreal to Tokyo $663 CAD with All Nippon Airways/United
Oct 17 Montreal to Port Louis, Mauritius - $658 CAD with Air France
Sep 14 Montreal to Yangon $499 CAD with Air China
Aug 29 Montreal to Shanghai and Taipei $402 CAD with United

Now those are Hot deals. The Level! deal is just that, a deal, not a Hot deal and certainly not a "Phenomenal" deal.
Of course, those are all great rates, but so is this one. Like antihero said, those lowcost carriers allow people to fly paying only for stuff they use. Bringing food + water on the plane isn't exactly hard, so if that saves me 20$ each way, then why not? Those meals are ok at best and while I love the glass of juice I can have, I never drink alcohol on the plane anyways, so I'm not exactly at loss there. Blankets and pillows are obviously nice, but not a game changer, especially not for a 6-7h flight. Never had a plane with Wi-Fi so I'm already not using that.

My main gripe with what you say is that you seem to make it sound like it's inhuman to travel this way. WOW prices do not even allow a carry-on, whereas Level does + a personal item. My personal item is usually a backpack (the one I use for school), so along with a carry-on, I can perfectly enjoy a week in Paris without feeling restricted. Would I use this for a month long vacation? Probably not (unless I had a big travel backpack for that type of trip), but you can't say 340$ for ANY trans-AT flight is not a phenomenal deal, especially since it does include a carry on