Is 3D tv a Good Quality

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2015 7:03 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 22, 2013
15 posts

Is 3D tv a Good Quality

I live in Sault Ontario, and i have yet to see a 3d tv, passive or active at any store demonstration. I dont know if there are any here to be seen.
So I do think to ask if 3dtv is making people happy or not.

I know 3d is only available when you have the Content but is the 3d quality something that really impresses or not.

At this time i am pricing for a 55- 60 inch delivered for free from an online retailer and just thought to ask before i pay twice as much for 3d tv than 2d , is it really impressive.

I cant make a mistake when ordering online, i wouldnt want to ship it back.

I just want a Bargain Sale LG 3d tv. or something similar .
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
3D gaming does really impress. Movies are less so, especially the converted ones.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
xalex0 wrote: 3D gaming does really impress. Movies are less so, especially the converted ones.
I don't think regular 3D TVs support 3D PC gaming. Atleast I don't think Nvidia's solution does.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
3D as it is presently doesn't really impress that much. And especially the quality of the glasses as to how they fit and feel leaves a great deal to be desired. For comparison it's not even remotely as spectacular a visual enhancement to video as 5.1 sound was to audio. That said though a great deal really depends on price. If the 3D comes as a bonus with not too great a price difference than it's 2D counterpart or if the 3D screen is a much better screen than it's 2D counterpart then 3D in that instance is perhaps a good purchase. But if the 3D is a substantial amount more money, as you say twice or almost twice the price than it all depends imo on how much better a screen overall the 3D screen is as to if you should buy it or not, and I can't really see it being that much better a screen to warrant double the price.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Dinujan wrote: I don't think regular 3D TVs support 3D PC gaming. Atleast I don't think Nvidia's solution does.
You can game on a 3D TV...in 3D, but only at 720p; because 1080p 3D is limited to 24p which is really bad for gaming. I mean you can still do it, but yeah it's not good. This is essentially the extent of 3D gaming on AMD cards; on Nvidia, if you're talking about "3D Vision" then you're correct as this requires special gaming monitors that can run at 120 or 144 Hz. I don't believe any consumer TVs are capable of that kind of 3D gaming though there may be some projectors that can do it (not sure).

720p 3D gaming is pretty darn good though IMO. Playing Uncharted 3 in 3D is well worth it, as is Tomb Raider (from PC), and other games which are so-capable. Really, "going down" to 720p is not a concern at all especially considering on PC it's basically taking as much GPU power to do 3D at 720p as it does to game in 2D at 1080p. Personally I'd much rather play TR at 720p 3D than 1080p 2D :)

Anyway 3D on TVs (for movies) is more dependent on the movie than the TV. Some movies are really good in 3D at home and some leave you thinking, "why did they even bother with 3D for this movie???". So yeah it's hit or miss. TVs have various 3D tech (active v. passive) but IMO active is best as it maintains the highest quality; however, some people don't like active glasses as much (they cost more of course, but some claim it gives them more irritation/headaches/etc.)

Most better TVs have 3D anyway these days so even if you don't want it, you're probably getting it anyway if you're buying a higher-end set. I can't see how a 3D TV would cost "twice the price of a 2D set" in this day and age...maybe years ago when 3D started but today, that twice the price is probably also buying you a much better set with better features other than just 3D.

Myself, I have three 3D sets, essentially. Two TVs (55", 46") and a PS3 3DD (24"). The only one of these I bought specifically with the idea that I wanted 3D on it was the 55" set. I do like 3D, but there's really not that much good content you can get to make it all that huge a feature. There's 3D BDs but there's not all too many of those and even then, as mentioned, some movies have pretty worthless 3D. Another thing to keep in mind is that 3D in the home is more about depth than it is pop-out (the opposite is more the case in theatres IMO); home 3D can/does have pop-out but it seems like depth is more the focus of it, which is I think why a lot of people don't think it's too impressive.

Overall it's not really worth spending a bunch of extra money just to get 3D just because there's just not that much 3D out there to really enjoy. On the other hand it probably is worth it to get a better TV and if it so happens to have 3D then it's a very nice bonus.
Dec 22, 2013
15 posts
ES_Revenge wrote:
Most better TVs have 3D anyway these days so even if you don't want it, you're probably getting it anyway if you're buying a higher-end set. I can't see how a 3D TV would cost "twice the price of a 2D set" in this day and age...maybe years ago when 3D started but today, that twice the price is probably also buying you a much better set with better features other than just 3D.
http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-55lf6000- ... 110986.htm

This tv from NCIX has free delivery for 699 a 55 inch without 3d.
Show me a 3d tv that is near that price and 55 inch.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
StevE916 wrote: http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-55lf6000- ... 110986.htm

This tv from NCIX has free delivery for 699 a 55 inch without 3d.
Show me a 3d tv that is near that price and 55 inch.
I'm not sure what/why you're asking that. You're missing my point. There's probably not just TVs that are exactly the same but with 3D and then cost double because of it. A 3D model will likely have more features, more inputs, and quite likely better processing and a better panel. So you're not just paying the extra for 3D, there's a lot of other stuff coming with it.

If you look here:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/lf6000

You'll see the TV you linked to is a low-rent, no-frills model, with lackluster performance. There's not going to be many 3D models that are similarly featureless and perform like that. While there probably are 3D sets that aren't too great, for the most part you're talking about TVs that are better than this LF6000 in ways other than just 3D.

Anyway you could have bought a KDL-55W800B on clearance not long ago for like $800ish, so that's only about $100 more than the TV you're pointing out. That's why it's a really good idea to get clearance "last year's models" whenever new models are released--that's where the best deals typically are. BF/BD prices are often just a bunch of hype and crap "deals", and on models no one wants anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
3D was a fad and it's on the way out now.
Dec 22, 2013
15 posts
ES_Revenge wrote: I'm not sure what/why you're asking that. You're missing my point. There's probably not just TVs that are exactly the same but with 3D and then cost double because of it. A 3D model will likely have more features, more inputs, and quite likely better processing and a better panel. So you're not just paying the extra for 3D, there's a lot of other stuff coming with it.

I.
Just got a 3d sony and watched Antman 2015....3d. Now that was nice. In one Scene the Antman flies from behind you and towards the Tv,

They are able to do pop out 3d.... a rifle barrel will stick out of the Screen in some movies.

The Sony Discover Service isnt working on the Tv, though so 3d content is hard to find.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
StevE916 wrote: Just got a 3d sony and watched Antman 2015....3d. Now that was nice. In one Scene the Antman flies from behind you and towards the Tv,

They are able to do pop out 3d.... a rifle barrel will stick out of the Screen in some movies.

The Sony Discover Service isnt working on the Tv, though so 3d content is hard to find.
So was it worth the price difference?
Dec 22, 2013
15 posts
xalex0 wrote: So was it worth the price difference?
Yes , if u can get the 3d Content it is worth the Price Difference.
The Internet Ready Tv , is too slow at browsing the web to use. Other online Features dont work , like Netflix.
May as well unplug the internet.

A 386 PC would be faster.

Dont buy other features beyond, 3d tv.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)