If you could only keep one, which one would it be and why lol
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7389 posts
2097 upvotes
Switch >>>>> 3DS > Vita

Nintendo has better first party games.
3rd party kept the Vita alive but many of the best of those titles were also on the main consoles or on PS2.

The OLED screen on the PS Vita is really nice. Nintendo should include one if they release an upgraded Switch.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1897 posts
1094 upvotes
Markham
I personally like both, unless you're purchasing them just now I'd happily keep both. For most however I suspect the 3DS is going to appeal more as its got far far more games. The Vita is a very Japan-centric hand held, if you like Japanese games then its library is good...if you don't then its library is very shallow. If you're going to mod these two then the Vita has the better hardware. My biggest gripe with my 3DS XL is definitely its speakers, even at max volume its whispering compared to all my other handhelds including the old DS. The only thing to hate about the Vita is the proprietary memory card. I will say though both are slightly bulky for the pocket, the regular 3DS is serviceable, although I wish there was a Vita in the PSP GO's form factor that was my absolute favourite for pure ease of carrying.

I do agree though the Switch is easily the king of the portable gaming systems. The Switch doesn't fit into a pocket but its ability to put out AAA games without being tethered to a TV can't be denied. Any of the crossplay titles the Vita shared with the PS4...if the game is action oriented you will see frame drops in the Vita so I only do turn based stuff or JRPGs Crossplay, this is where the Switch's power shines.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7389 posts
2097 upvotes
I don't really see the appeal of having a system that fits in pants pockets.

I usually leave portable systems at home but if I do take it with me, I have them in protective cases and usually put it in a backpack.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1897 posts
1094 upvotes
Markham
XFactor11 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 8:37 pm
I don't really see the appeal of having a system that fits in pants pockets.

I usually leave portable systems at home but if I do take it with me, I have them in protective cases and usually put it in a backpack.
Why not? Instead of pulling out your phone and playing awful mobile games(I dislike them so much I'd rather stare at a wall), I'd rather pull one of these out and play great games and I did especially during the PSP's hey day, which is why I love the PSP Go. Best thing I ever did on a boring shopping day where I was only tagging along, now I don't care how long the women take. Much better than taking a bag which either I'd forget it, or worse leaving it open to thieving. The bag is less of a problem if I were a female gamer who can get away with having a purse.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1371 posts
645 upvotes
Vancouver
The 3DS by a long shot. The library for the 3DS is just massive and I'll be using the console for years and years to come to finish off some backlogs. And I went with a regular sized 3DS (not XL) for more portability. At this point, my feeling is if I have a backpack, I'll carry my Switch. The 3DS is for those occasions where I'm just wearing my jeans, but want to carry something with me anyways.
Jun 8, 2019
14 posts
4 upvotes
I play more Nintendo exclusive games so I'm going to pick 3DS over Vita at any given time. Though right now, I'm happy the Nintendo Switch exists.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5083 posts
1017 upvotes
Milton
3DS.

I have both but have hundreds more hours in my 3DS because of pokemon, mario kart, fire emblem etc
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1810 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
I'm going to be contrarian and say Vita. It's resell value is holding up. There is a respectable library of indies and JRPGs.

The 3DS has excellent first party exclusives, but it aged poorly on a technical level. It's hard to play the 3DS once if you spent enough time with a Switch.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2119 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
I love the vita back when I had one, but there's just no support for it. 3DS by far gets the vote. But Switch trumps all if you don't mind a few sideways looks.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6788 posts
2953 upvotes
Toronto
Love my CFW 3DS it's amazing
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2234 posts
296 upvotes
As a device I like the Vita a lot more. The screen on the original model is great, the ergonomics are superior, the analog sticks feel better, the travel on the shoulder buttons are better, and although the back touch panel was a dumb idea its a far more servicible solution for L2/R2 than the ZL/ZR buttons of the N3DS. But Sony basically murdered the platform outside Japan less than a year out the door, so go with a 3DS.