• Apr 15th, 2019 1:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2005
3371 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto

3GB LTE plan under $40? To replace 6GB $55 Bell Thunder Bay plan

I gave my mom my $50 6GB unlimited Bell Thunder Bay plan a few years ago when I moved away. She hardly uses any data and has always been complaining about the price... now the price has recently raised to $55 + tax. A quick search yielded that there is still nothing really comparable to it.

Is there any good providers out there with 2-3GB LTE data for less than $40/month? Or should she be quiet and stick with the Bell plan? She uses roughly 2GB / month.
8 replies
Dec 4, 2017
346 posts
116 upvotes
Sure. This Public Mobile is the go-to value plan for moderate data usage. Ignore the "3G speed" designation, as it's really LTE with peak speed capped. Hardly any users can tell the difference.

Put it on autopay to reduce price from $40 to $38. Have a referral from another PM user for another $1 off. And another $1 off per year of being a subscriber.

Public Mobile is owned by Telus and will have the same coverage as she currently gets on the shared Bell/Telus network.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans ... MB-3Gspeed
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16103 posts
6168 upvotes
Oakville
One thing to bear in mind with Public Mobile, though - they don't have phone based support, only online forum-based support. It's *excellent* in my experience, but it's not 24/7, and if your mom isn't comfortable dealing with an online forum, you'll end up being her support go-to. I'm a huge PM fan, but generally don't recommend it for less-than-tech-savvy folk unless they have somebody to act as a support intermediary.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Oct 17, 2010
483 posts
238 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes public mobile is the way to go.
Koodo $50.00 8gb S9+
Virgin Mobile $40 6gb S8+
Public Mobile $38 5gb iPhone 8+
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1317 posts
915 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
The fact that "LTE capped at 3M" plans are being enthusiastically endorsed in 2019 (!!!) goes to show just how pathetic the competitive landscape is in Canada.
Dec 4, 2017
346 posts
116 upvotes
arkane wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 2:36 pm
The fact that "LTE capped at 3M" plans are being enthusiastically endorsed in 2019 (!!!) goes to show just how pathetic the competitive landscape is in Canada.
That's true enough. I wonder if it has to do with the only time where there is an actual resource scarcity, at peak usage times. Possibly the speed cap is important for Telus to allow Public Mobile to get away with offering this plan, since such subscribers won't be prone to clogging the network at peak.
Dec 4, 2017
346 posts
116 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:48 am
One thing to bear in mind with Public Mobile, though - they don't have phone based support, only online forum-based support. It's *excellent* in my experience, but it's not 24/7, and if your mom isn't comfortable dealing with an online forum, you'll end up being her support go-to. I'm a huge PM fan, but generally don't recommend it for less-than-tech-savvy folk unless they have somebody to act as a support intermediary.
Yes, sorry for forgetting to mention that. Though, it's easy to forget. There don't seem to be any hiccups in service or billing with the subscribers whom I know. It just works, so there is no need to call in.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1317 posts
915 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
IanBrantford wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:18 pm
That's true enough. I wonder if it has to do with the only time where there is an actual resource scarcity, at peak usage times. Possibly the speed cap is important for Telus to allow Public Mobile to get away with offering this plan, since such subscribers won't be prone to clogging the network at peak.
If that was the case PM wouldn't have any LTE plans period. The fact that full LTE plans exist with a price premium all point to this being an artificial scarcity resulting from pure corporate greed.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16103 posts
6168 upvotes
Oakville
IanBrantford wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:18 pm
Nah. This is just PM looking for a way to still offer their cheaper plans without cannibalizing the higher tier brands. People see "3G speeds" and think "ewww, no thanks" (even though 99% of them have zero need for full LTE download speeds, and they wouldn't notice the difference).
arkane wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 11:57 pm
If that was the case PM wouldn't have any LTE plans period. The fact that full LTE plans exist with a price premium all point to this being an artificial scarcity resulting from pure corporate greed.
Yeah, the only reason to show those full speed LTE plans is to make people think they're getting a deal with the 3G speed plans, last I checked, the PM full speed LTE plans weren't even competitive with Koodo's BYOD plans.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient