Ongoing Deal Discussion

Epson.ca

3LCD projectors 40%+ off clearance (refurb) sales.

Feb 29, 2016
654 posts
665 upvotes
Ottawa
Annnnnnd, they're gone. Dammit, definitely woulda pounced on that deal...
Feb 6, 2008
821 posts
260 upvotes
Well, I tried twice to order the 2040, but both times it was cancelled and now it's out of stock. What a frustrating experience.
Dec 8, 2008
626 posts
70 upvotes
Edmonton
bwr827 wrote: Well, I tried twice to order the 2040, but both times it was cancelled and now it's out of stock. What a frustrating experience.
I made about 5 tries for the 2030. Last finally went through then they complained about 1:1 name errors on card to their side. But were able to charge my card.
Their system didn't like me and customer service was a test in patience.
Maybe compromise for the 2030 or 1040?
https://epson.ca/Clearance-Centre/Home- ... nt/c/cc301

I gave in and went for the HD142X from best buy after a price match from newegg.ca
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 000A-000N6
Newegg got more HD142X's in stock. Price match your DLP heart out if you cant see rainbows.

Maybe try amazon? For some reason there's a large increase in cost for their refurbished products listed on amazon canada compared to their own site.
Although the 2040 refurbished there is 699.99
That's not good for a refurbished unit in my opinion.

At least Epson gave me the 1080p sub $500 dream for a moment.
Last edited by Midknight Storm on Nov 8th, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 6, 2008
821 posts
260 upvotes
The brand new Epson 2150 is on sale for 699 USD at Best Buy USA. Anyone know if warranty crosses the border?
Feb 6, 2008
821 posts
260 upvotes
The 3500 came back in stock this morning for $839. Nowhere near the crazy deal of yore in this thread, but good enough for me after missing out on the 2040 with cancelled orders.

Waited all day for the order to be cancelled, but just got the shipping notice! Phew.
Dec 8, 2008
626 posts
70 upvotes
Edmonton
https://epson.ca/Clearance-Centre/Home- ... 1H709020-N

http://www.projectorcentral.com/project ... pid_4=7795
The only thing i could see as a major difference was longevity and contrast. Is the contrast that much more devestating from A to B with each projector?
I was under the impression its one to one but heard otherwise that its not cut and dry like power drawn or ansi lumen output.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/contrast_ratios.htm
Again, is the difference proportionate to the stated numbers?
@bwr827
grats on your order.
I know viewsonic clearance crosses the border and the brightness on their projectors is no joke.
Feb 6, 2008
821 posts
260 upvotes
Midknight Storm wrote: http://www.projectorcentral.com/project ... pid_4=7795
The only thing i could see as a major difference was longevity and contrast. Is the contrast that much more devestating from A to B with each projector?
I was under the impression its one to one but heard otherwise that its not cut and dry like power drawn or ansi lumen output.
If you read reviews of each model, typically there are descriptions of comparative visual quality that go beyond the specifications list. For example, I recall reading that while the 2030 and 2040 are very similar, the latter offers slight picture quality improvements, plus smoother motion through its frame interpolation feature (great for sports, but can make movies look like soap operas).

The 3500 has lens shift, and a different lens, and sounds like it offers improved overall picture, including moderately better black levels, something that's a commonly mentioned weakness in the 2030/2040. I won't be able to make an actual comparison, except with the Optoma H142X that I've been test-driving for the past week (needed to know if I'm susceptible to the rainbow effect of DLPs, which it turns out I am).
Dec 8, 2008
626 posts
70 upvotes
Edmonton
bwr827 wrote: If you read reviews of each model, typically there are descriptions of comparative visual quality that go beyond the specifications list. For example, I recall reading that while the 2030 and 2040 are very similar, the latter offers slight picture quality improvements, plus smoother motion through its frame interpolation feature (great for sports, but can make movies look like soap operas).

The 3500 has lens shift, and a different lens, and sounds like it offers improved overall picture, including moderately better black levels, something that's a commonly mentioned weakness in the 2030/2040. I won't be able to make an actual comparison, except with the Optoma H142X that I've been test-driving for the past week (needed to know if I'm susceptible to the rainbow effect of DLPs, which it turns out I am).
HD142X had that affect on I as well. Calibration for colour left something to be desired too.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/LTnf16ULbCg/maxresdefault.jpg
Also the faint black edge created by the projector regardless of the source bothered me alongside some motion issues where it would struggle through moments of intense slow down for emphasis.
I want to fault my browser and the video for being played over youtube but after the fully cached video went through it still repeated the same issue at the same point.

The viewsonic lightstream's built in technology seems to make all of the above less annoying.
Therein I'm hoping my HD142x is a lemon

Was hoping for some 4k camera stills website or something to gain perspective but that's asking for a lot of people unless they just happened to rent multiple projectors for comparison lol
The black levels are still drawn from the proposed contrast which is up in the air. Probably will be better that's not contested just the value per $$$. I'd value a higher quality lens than lens shift unless you're getting hammered by strangely unforgiving setup conditions.
Hope the 3500 works out for you.
Tell us your magic of how they didn't cancel your order after you receive your projector.
Feb 6, 2008
821 posts
260 upvotes
For my successful third order attempt, I used a different mastercard than the first two, and I double-checked the billing details on the mastercard site first, just in case they weren't accurate.

I do wonder if I would have been better off waiting for a sale on the 2100, or a refurb sale on the 3100. But I've already sold my TV so I didn't want to wait long to get something set up properly (the 142x is propped up on my couch).
Feb 6, 2008
821 posts
260 upvotes
Midknight Storm wrote: 2040 is back again.
I wish they'd just charge me through Amazon Canada.
Lots in stock today! Did you try to order? If it helps, mine worked when I used a PC mastercard. My Capital One mastercard didn't work.
Dec 8, 2008
626 posts
70 upvotes
Edmonton
bwr827 wrote: Lots in stock today! Did you try to order? If it helps, mine worked when I used a PC mastercard. My Capital One mastercard didn't work.
I got dinged for the same cards. Might be out of luck there on my end.
Did manage to find a 1080p epson on amazon for a reasonable price. But 1-2 month delivery makes me cringe.
---
Seems like it changed to instock now. Few days delivery with reasonable express fees.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LW4KPF1
Last edited by Midknight Storm on Nov 15th, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 6, 2008
821 posts
260 upvotes
Just got my 3500! Boy is this thing huge! Hope my mount will fit. And it did come with two pairs of 3D glasses (someone recently bought the 3020 and didn't get glasses).

Hoping to get this set up tonight! Will report back on comparison to the Optoma 142X.
Dec 8, 2008
626 posts
70 upvotes
Edmonton
bwr827 wrote: Just got my 3500! Boy is this thing huge! Hope my mount will fit. And it did come with two pairs of 3D glasses (someone recently bought the 3020 and didn't get glasses).

Hoping to get this set up tonight! Will report back on comparison to the Optoma 142X.
Grats

OptomaHD142x can't even beat out a 720p epson projector from my viewpoint.
With roughly triple the contrast plus all the other features and properties of epson projectors you're probably way ahead.
Not to mention lamp replacement cost.
Feb 6, 2008
821 posts
260 upvotes
The Optoma was a great trial projector, because now I'm loving the "deep blacks" of my Epson, which according to reviews is weak on black levels. It's all relative!

Very pleased with the 3500, even projecting on a wrinkled curtain (for now; screen build is next!).
Dec 8, 2008
626 posts
70 upvotes
Edmonton
bwr827 wrote: The Optoma was a great trial projector, because now I'm loving the "deep blacks" of my Epson, which according to reviews is weak on black levels. It's all relative!

Very pleased with the 3500, even projecting on a wrinkled curtain (for now; screen build is next!).
Hahaha
Well done sir.

Maybe run by a fabric land for some cheap runoff blackout cloth and find a colour you like and the screen size you want for your room.
That's the hardest part imo.

I can see what they're saying about the blacks but feel as though its just an issue of screen quality

Not advertising his merchandise I just like the representation of Black levels with that screen.

http://screen-size.info
For faster dimensions. Love that they have Anamorphic screens on there.

Feb 6, 2008
821 posts
260 upvotes
Cool, I'll check out those videos later. Plan is to order Carl's flexigray and build a fixed frame. Looks like I can just squeeze a 100" screen in my space.
Feb 20, 2009
84 posts
Toronto
Any way to know if the projectors will come or not with glasses? Did you get lucky with the glasses or if they are listed in the new listing then they should be coming with the refurbs?
I am interested in getting a wireless refurb unit maybe the 3600e if it shows up.
Dec 8, 2008
626 posts
70 upvotes
Edmonton
ritz2 wrote: I am interested in getting a wireless refurb unit maybe the 3600e if it shows up.
Cant use one of these?
Dec 8, 2008
626 posts
70 upvotes
Edmonton
For those still in search of the 2040 perhaps keep your eye out for this link?
2040 refurb: www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LTHX5NG/ 35000:1 contrast 2200 lumen 3.5mm audio jack
1040 refurb: www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LW4KPF1/ 15000:1 contrast 3000 lumen no 3.5 mmaudio jack

https://epson.ca/Clearance-Centre/Home- ... 1H707020-N
Cheaper than the epson website by $40 if the price holds.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)