Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Epson.ca] 3LCD projectors 40%+ off clearance (refurb) sales.

Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2354 posts
343 upvotes
Legatinho wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 9:23 pm
Let us know how it goes! I'd be very interested in seeing color uniformity on this particular unit, if you can take a screenshot of something white being projected (like windows explorer, or a hockey game, for ex), and see if you can see any purple or green!
I'll provide some feedback and pics if possible. Might be awhile until I've got things set up properly as I don't even have a screen yet. I might end up making my own screen. This is my first projector and I'm not yet certain which size screen I'll use. I currently sit about 8-9 ft away from where the screen will end up being and although the calculators I've used suggest 65" is optimal, I might go as high as 90", depending on how my initial "wall testing" goes :-). Anyhow, I'm pretty excited as I've never played with a projector before.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
5864 posts
1831 upvotes
Mississauga
aasoror wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 10:17 pm
2040 back at $520
53 in stock.
epson-canada-powerlite-home-cinema-2040 ... d-2086900/
It was always in stock over the last month and Jan.
I was watching it in case the price will go lower so I pull the trigger.
Dec 8, 2008
218 posts
37 upvotes
Has anyone seen a 3100 refurbished posted? Been watching pretty consistently and don't think I've seen one.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2354 posts
343 upvotes
Based on my experience with Epson, I recommend avoiding them. Here's a summary of my run in with them:

- Placed order for a PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 on 10 Mar 2017 (Friday just after mdnight)

- Received the following order cancellation E-Mail today at exactly mid day:

Your recent order with the Epson Store has been cancelled. Possible reasons for cancellation are:
• The "bill to" address you entered did not match your credit card info exactly. Address and phone number must match credit card statement.
• The name you entered did not match the name on the card.
• An incorrect expiration date was provided.
• An invalid credit card number was entered.
• The amount of your purchase may have exceeded your credit limit.
• Your bank may not participate in AVS code matching.
• Your credit card may be drawn on a foreign bank

- Logged into epson.ca website to check info I provided. Confirmed everything was correct.

- Called Epson to find out why order cancelled. CSR claims address I provided didn't match bank/credit card provider records. I confirmed provided address is correct and pointed out that even if the address had been incorrect, I should have been asked to contact Epson to rectify the issue instead of being sent a generic cancellation E-Mail. I asked the CSR to re-process the order. CSR said he could but the order would be rejected again and told me to call credit card provider. This went back and forth for about 10 minutes before I finally decided I'd get nowhere with the CSR.

- Called credit card provider (knowing what the outcome would be). As expected, credit card provider confirmed that no error had occurred on their end and that the transaction had been approved. They however quoted an amount that was not the same as the amount I have been invoiced for in the order (about $10 more than what my invoice stated).

- Called Epson again and asked to speak to a manager. CSR refused to forward me until I provided all the background info all over again. CSR couldn't locate order even though they used exactly the same order number as per my last call. Took 10+ minutes to find order (supposedly based on my phone number this time around) and CSR then proceeds to ask me if I want to re-process the order. I again reiterate that I need to speak to a manager in order to determine a way forward. CSR finally agrees to forward me to his "supervisor". Another 10 minutes on hold listening to music. Deciding I'd already wasted enough time (over an hour by that point), I hung up.

Even if Epson had re-processed the order, I'd have been ever paranoid of having to deal with their totally incompetent "customer care" down the road if I ran into issues with the 8350. Despite the potential deal on the projector, not worth the hassle. In fact, based on this, I doubt I'll ever buy an Epson product. Time to check out Optoma and BenQ.

I hope this story deters other RFD members from making choices that might well result in pain and frustration.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
5864 posts
1831 upvotes
Mississauga
txenglan wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 4:44 pm
Based on my experience with Epson, I recommend avoiding them. Here's a summary of my run in with them:

- Placed order for a PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 on 10 Mar 2017 (Friday just after mdnight)

- Received the following order cancellation E-Mail today at exactly mid day:

Your recent order with the Epson Store has been cancelled. Possible reasons for cancellation are:
• The "bill to" address you entered did not match your credit card info exactly. Address and phone number must match credit card statement.
• The name you entered did not match the name on the card.
• An incorrect expiration date was provided.
• An invalid credit card number was entered.
• The amount of your purchase may have exceeded your credit limit.
• Your bank may not participate in AVS code matching.
• Your credit card may be drawn on a foreign bank

- Logged into epson.ca website to check info I provided. Confirmed everything was correct.

- Called Epson to find out why order cancelled. CSR claims address I provided didn't match bank/credit card provider records. I confirmed provided address is correct and pointed out that even if the address had been incorrect, I should have been asked to contact Epson to rectify the issue instead of being sent a generic cancellation E-Mail. I asked the CSR to re-process the order. CSR said he could but the order would be rejected again and told me to call credit card provider. This went back and forth for about 10 minutes before I finally decided I'd get nowhere with the CSR.

- Called credit card provider (knowing what the outcome would be). As expected, credit card provider confirmed that no error had occurred on their end and that the transaction had been approved. They however quoted an amount that was not the same as the amount I have been invoiced for in the order (about $10 more than what my invoice stated).

- Called Epson again and asked to speak to a manager. CSR refused to forward me until I provided all the background info all over again. CSR couldn't locate order even though they used exactly the same order number as per my last call. Took 10+ minutes to find order (supposedly based on my phone number this time around) and CSR then proceeds to ask me if I want to re-process the order. I again reiterate that I need to speak to a manager in order to determine a way forward. CSR finally agrees to forward me to his "supervisor". Another 10 minutes on hold listening to music. Deciding I'd already wasted enough time (over an hour by that point), I hung up.

Even if Epson had re-processed the order, I'd have been ever paranoid of having to deal with their totally incompetent "customer care" down the road if I ran into issues with the 8350. Despite the potential deal on the projector, not worth the hassle. In fact, based on this, I doubt I'll ever buy an Epson product. Time to check out Optoma and BenQ.

I hope this story deters other RFD members from making choices that might well result in pain and frustration.
Was the credit card issuer Capital one?
Jan 19, 2017
28 posts
10 upvotes
alfietopshelfie wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 4:02 pm
Has anyone seen a 3100 refurbished posted? Been watching pretty consistently and don't think I've seen one.
Not sure about 3100 but have for sure seen 3500 a few times.
Jan 19, 2017
28 posts
10 upvotes
So I finally saw 5030UBe in stock last night and pulled the plug. Seems like there was only one available. Thanks to beejew for the heads up. Can't wait for it to be delivered. Fingers crossed!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
5864 posts
1831 upvotes
Mississauga
txenglan wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 7:00 pm
No. CIBC.
I faced your experience many times before ( over the last month with my Capital one card with different retailers) , I used to get so upset especially when it's very limited deal and and it's not available to order if my order is cancelled,everytime I used to call the credit card issuer and the retailers and they keep me around like a monkey in the middle,I noticed that this problem happens at night time (between 11:00 PM-5:00 AM),sometimes it's the retailer fault (Sephora,TRU) and sometimes it's the bank fault.
Now I learnt if that happens to me,re order it again (within daytime) ,if no ,try a different credit card,if no go,forget about it and I stop wasting my time.
Jan 19, 2017
28 posts
10 upvotes
dan668 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 11:28 am
How much was the 5030?
$1,878.79, would have settled for a non wireless version for a little less but since I was in a hurry and tired of waiting, just went for it.
Dec 26, 2007
144 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
jaguar20100 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 12:28 pm
$1,878.79, would have settled for a non wireless version for a little less but since I was in a hurry and tired of waiting, just went for it.
I was quite tempted to buy, but already got the 4030, so wife said NO! :'(
Dec 8, 2008
218 posts
37 upvotes
jaguar20100 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 11:19 am
Not sure about 3100 but have for sure seen 3500 a few times.
How does that fit in with the 3100 and the 3700? Different model year?

3100 really seems to hit my budget and feature set. I don't need onboard speakers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)