Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Epson.ca] 3LCD projectors 40%+ off clearance (refurb) sales.

Feb 5, 2008
582 posts
146 upvotes
For the 4030, online is showing 0 - did you have to call?

Also, the listing doesn't mention any spare bulbs/mount that's included, but it does mention 2 pairs of 3D RF glasses?
Dec 26, 2007
144 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
projectrs2 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:16 pm
For the 4030, online is showing 0 - did you have to call?

Also, the listing doesn't mention any spare bulbs/mount that's included, but it does mention 2 pairs of 3D RF glasses?
they updated the listing, sadly. Now I guess it does not include the extras anymore :(

I think they still have one in stock, try to give them a call.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
2996 posts
435 upvotes
Glad I discovered this thread as I'm finishing my basement and prepping a front projection set up for home theatre.

I understand impacts of ambient light; my basement will be fairly dark so there should be minimal light coming from outside. I was thinking more about everyday use, if I have my kids down there or if I'm running on the treadmill, how will the picture fair if there is there is some dim lighting on? We will have dimmable pot lights installed, and none will be pointed in direction of projector screen.

Just wondering what others have experienced.

Wondering if I need to have a TV behind the projector for more everyday use.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
1668 posts
878 upvotes
Montreal
rinse wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 11:15 am
Glad I discovered this thread as I'm finishing my basement and prepping a front projection set up for home theatre.

I understand impacts of ambient light; my basement will be fairly dark so there should be minimal light coming from outside. I was thinking more about everyday use, if I have my kids down there or if I'm running on the treadmill, how will the picture fair if there is there is some dim lighting on? We will have dimmable pot lights installed, and none will be pointed in direction of projector screen.

I have young kids as well, and my wife likes the light while on the treadmill, so I have a similar situation to yours. I regretted having a home theater projector because it needs almost absolute darkness to look good. Now I have the Epson 1040 and am extremely happy with my purchase. 3000 lumens of brightness means I can have the lights on with the projector in eco mode and still see the image very nicely. The price at $479 is also unbeatable. Vs the 2040, I don't regret not having 3D or frame interpolation as those are features I either won't use (3D) or hate (interpolation). Movies in the dark still look great on this unit, as the color and sharpness are fantastic. The one downside is that the black levels could be better, but they don't ruin the experience either.
Dec 26, 2007
144 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
rinse wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 11:15 am

any amount of light will wash out the image, but with a brighter projector, the contrast will be better. It's a tough choice.

If you plan on having the best contrast, you should pick a more pro projector, like the 5025, as it can have super awesome image in a dark environment.

If you plan on having the lights on most of the time, I think a TV would give you a better image.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
2996 posts
435 upvotes
Legatinho wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 11:27 am
any amount of light will wash out the image, but with a brighter projector, the contrast will be better. It's a tough choice.

If you plan on having the best contrast, you should pick a more pro projector, like the 5025, as it can have super awesome image in a dark environment.

If you plan on having the lights on most of the time, I think a TV would give you a better image.
Bulletwithbatwings wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 11:26 am
I have young kids as well, and my wife likes the light while on the treadmill, so I have a similar situation to yours. I regretted having a home theater projector because it needs almost absolute darkness to look good. Now I have the Epson 1040 and am extremely happy with my purchase. 3000 lumens of brightness means I can have the lights on with the projector in eco mode and still see the image very nicely. The price at $479 is also unbeatable. Vs the 2040, I don't regret not having 3D or frame interpolation as those are features I either won't use (3D) or hate (interpolation). Movies in the dark still look great on this unit, as the color and sharpness are fantastic. The one downside is that the black levels could be better, but they don't ruin the experience either.
Thanks guys - kind of sounds like I should look into building a retractable projector screen, with a television behind (maybe in a recessed wall) for everyday use.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
1668 posts
878 upvotes
Montreal
rinse wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 12:36 pm
Thanks guys - kind of sounds like I should look into building a retractable projector screen, with a television behind (maybe in a recessed wall) for everyday use.
No joke, my first setup (I've moved since) was a 55 inch TV with a 106 inch tension tabbed motorized screen in front of it.

What I learned from that experience was that once you start watching stuff at 106 inches, the TV feels too small and becomes wasted money. NOTHING was satisfying at 55 inches anymore. My wife who had zero interest in getting a projector to begin with made me sell the tv! Sh preferred watching a large washed out image than a "tiny" bright one. The projector I had at the time was 1550 lumens at 11 feet away. My current setup has the 3000 lumen projector at 16.5Ft away outputting a 142 inch screen at a much higher brightness. The image only washes out under very bright sunlight but the distance and size are factors to consider as well. I would say the image is only problematic early in the morning when a lot of sunlight enters by uncovered window.

BUT do not just buy at random or take anyone's word for it - do you own calculations based on distance and desired size

Here is the calculator for the 1040. Note that I should strive for the red but am in the green (and still satisfied)
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-P ... or-pro.htm

If you really want extreme brightness without resorting to buying a TV, try this model out (I don't have pricing)
https://epson.ca/For-Home/Projectors/Ho ... 1H813020-F
Here is this model's calculator:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-H ... or-pro.htm

Remember, you want to be in the red for TV level brightness
Apr 13, 2010
8 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Bulletwithbatwings wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 3:47 pm
If you really want extreme brightness without resorting to buying a TV, try this model out (I don't have pricing)
https://epson.ca/For-Home/Projectors/Ho ... 1H813020-F
Here is this model's calculator:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-H ... or-pro.htm

Remember, you want to be in the red for TV level brightness
With the inclusion of a neutral density filter the 1440 makes a great dual light projector, a quality glass multi coated filter like the Hoya HMC ND2 knocks the brightness down 50% producing similar black levels but with still more pop than the Benq 1090 and 2050 which we did direct comparisons to and I’ve even ordered a Hoya ND4 for “some” night movie viewing.
Even with the high lumens output relatively speaking blacks look black, the ND filter helps with dark scenes which lack contrast (not all do) so that they look less grey which is par for the course on most projectors even in a complete bat cave except for some JVC and Sony’s.
I’ve set mine up so the filter is easily and quickly removed, mind you my 1440 is shelf and not ceiling mounted…..but overall IMHO the 1440 has excellent color/greyscale and image sharpness….it’s a 16:10 so there is some obvious small grey bars top and bottom when viewing 16:9…less obvious with 2:34.
see more
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digita ... lasma.html
Images
  • IMG_1221.jpg
  • IMG_1023.jpg
  • IMG_1162.jpg
Last edited by Robto123 on Mar 29th, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 28, 2010
256 posts
62 upvotes
More models added today. Jumped on a 5030 without thinking. Also see 3500 in stock now.
Jul 28, 2010
256 posts
62 upvotes
jaguar20100 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 12:28 pm
$1,878.79, would have settled for a non wireless version for a little less but since I was in a hurry and tired of waiting, just went for it.
Hey Jag, I just ordered the 5030UBe. Just curious of what yours came with? Glasses and wireless transmitter? Have you tested the wireless yet? It's confusing cuz it only lists the projector as what's in the box.
Jan 19, 2017
28 posts
10 upvotes
BlueLightSpecial wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 4:02 pm
Hey Jag, I just ordered the 5030UBe. Just curious of what yours came with? Glasses and wireless transmitter? Have you tested the wireless yet? It's confusing cuz it only lists the projector as what's in the box.
Yup it came with 2 glasses, transmitter, remote and power cables. Wireless HD works great. I had to press the setup button at the bottom for it to connect though. Picture quality is amazing even with some ambient light.
Oct 15, 2007
92 posts
140 upvotes
Montreal, QC
My HD33 lamp just blew up, and given it's exactly 5 years old, i'm thinking of upgrading to the 3700.

Has anyone ever figured out if we could apply coupons on these refurbished during checkout? Searched the thread and found something about a 100$ off coupon from many months ago, but nothing else. wondering if anyone had luck with coupons to bring price further down?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5513 posts
426 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I was gonna try to get the 2040 today but I was too late and it's out of stock.

When do you guys think they will get restocked?
There's a sucker born every minute.
Dec 27, 2007
12838 posts
4788 upvotes
Kitchener
number8888 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 10:10 pm

It was in stock for the last month or so, just keep an eye on this thread ;)
Jul 28, 2010
256 posts
62 upvotes
number8888 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 10:10 pm

Keep an eye on it daily. There were a few 2040's in the past week.