Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Epson.ca] 3LCD projectors 40%+ off clearance (refurb) sales.

Dec 8, 2008
220 posts
37 upvotes
I'm running into billing issues with Epson currently so no ETA on actually getting a unit. Before I dig through all 75 pages of this thread, did anyone else resolve their billing issues?
Nov 2, 2016
7 posts
1 upvote
Try using a different credit card. They cancelled the orders that were placed using my Amex card. So I tried Visa and it went through. I did get a verification phone call from Epson to release the shipment. Area code showed California, so if you missed their call, they will not ship it to you
alfietopshelfie wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 12:31 pm
I'm running into billing issues with Epson currently so no ETA on actually getting a unit. Before I dig through all 75 pages of this thread, did anyone else resolve their billing issues?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3933 posts
580 upvotes
Kingston
Do they ever have the 5040UBe on sale? Noticed on the site it doesn't say out of stock, it only says where to buy..
Dec 26, 2007
160 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
Tha DraGun wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 1:37 pm
Do they ever have the 5040UBe on sale? Noticed on the site it doesn't say out of stock, it only says where to buy..
not yet, they just recently added the 3700 and 3900... so there is always hope :)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3933 posts
580 upvotes
Kingston
On the e versions is the wireless hdmi built right into the projector, or is it just the regular version projector bundled with a wireless hdmi box that you connect to the hdmi port on the projector?
Just wondering cuz it might be just as good to buy it separately if it's not built right in.
Dec 26, 2007
160 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
Tha DraGun wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 1:37 pm
the 5040ub showed up! but no price yet, maybe worth trying to give them a call!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3034 posts
454 upvotes
Legatinho wrote:
May 1st, 2017 5:09 pm
Doh, just ordered one brand new thru my installer
Oct 25, 2005
193 posts
19 upvotes
Legatinho wrote:
May 1st, 2017 5:09 pm
I've been looking into purchasing a projector and saw the 5040UB on the clearance site as well. I called Epson and the CRS informed me that there is no price information or quantity available...
Feb 23, 2008
719 posts
32 upvotes
Sweet. Will be keeping an eye on the site. What does the "closeout" mean as the 5030 doesn't have it but all of the other projectors say that including the 5040 that just popped up.

I emailed Epson about some questions like
  • what is their definition of refurbished
  • are they factory/manufacturer refurbished or considered used?
  • were they used by end users or for long periods of time?
  • what parts would have been refurbished?
  • new fans?
  • do these projectors come with a new bulb?
  • if there is a pixel issue or other sort of defect like this is it straight exchange?
  • I want to confirm if the warranty is 2 years like new products?
  • Do I get express repair like I understand new ones do and you ship out a new replacement? how will that work? if it is a new projector you get a new one don't you? how does it work with refurbished?
And they replied with

.... Refurbished are units that are being sent back to our warehouse due to various reasons. These items are reconditioned , inspected and tested to ensure they perform properly. Some may have minor blemishes due to handling. Even if it is refurbished, new bulbs are being installed in the projectors.

Warranty of the unit varies from 1 year to 2 years depending on the model of the projector you [go] with to purchase. In the event that the unit shows signs of being defective, a replacement will be processed with the same model or equivalent. If Epson authorizes an exchange for the defective projector, Epson will ship a replacement projector to you, freight prepaid, so long as you use an address in the United States or Canada. The exchanged product may be new or refurbished to the Epson standard of quality, and at Epson's option, the replacement may be another model of like kind and quality.....

I have never really been a fan of refurbished products especially because they come with a short warranty but what do you think of the above statement from Epson (I just removed the thank you for contacting us and here's how to contact us part at the beginning and end of their message from the email)????

Is there anything to worry about with these? How many people have been getting these mint projectors 3-6 hours of use and 2 power-ons vs what I saw one guy getting a projector with 1800 hours on it?

Is the price difference that much of an incentive to buy these projectors?

I never thought I would buy my "dream" HT product might be a future refurbished product purchase but I guess if the warranty is the same then I guess there is more of an incentive.

I was looking at buying a projector from the US originally (eg. Panasonic PT-AE4000U, PT-AE8000U) (now discontinued unfortunately) and some of the JVC models but the exchange rate is killing us and the price difference is smaller now and with no warranty. I've had my eyes on the Epson's (with 2-3 year warranty's instead of 1 year for others) but they never had the motorized lens or lens memory/lens shift, etc and with them adding 4K Enhancements it might be enough to push me over the edge and buy one now rather than later.

Whenever I ask Eastporters for a quote for the Epson 5040UB ($3700 I believe) or the Panasonic PT-AE8000U they always push me at the JVC products (lately the JVC X570R) which are supposedly better black levels but then again I'm understanding they are charging $5K for this projector by looking at at their BestBuy marketplace. They obviously want me to come into the store to look at it and I may do that at some point but seems like upselling to JVC.

May just end up ordering a screen online if I buy one of these.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1652 posts
496 upvotes
2030 in Stock for 630 booooo
Compared to the 520 for the 2040, this is a joke.

I was looking for a cheap project for next year or two til the 4ks drop in price, but this one will be staying on thier website for a while...
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 2:55 am
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 12:56 pm
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
May 2, 2017
3 posts
I've got an 8350, is epson.ca the only place you guys buy your replacement bulbs at? $399 for a bulb just feels so steep when I see the prices on these refurbs that come with new bulbs. Tempted to just buy a whole new refurb unit.
Oct 11, 2006
117 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville
3700 came with new blub and total power on time was 3hours
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1652 posts
496 upvotes
5040 in Stock now, but at almost 2900, it doesn't make much sense. It can be had for 3500 new (plus i'd only pay 5% tax vs 15)...

I guess now they simply take the US price (2200) and add the exchange rate. The loonie sucks (thanks to this moron Trump), meh, I guess I will "rent" a 3000 from Costco and wait for better deal.
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 2:55 am
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 12:56 pm
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Feb 23, 2008
719 posts
32 upvotes
Where can you get the 5040 for $3500? It seems that Eastporters is the de facto place in the GTA and they have it listed for $3800 and Visions has $3900. Perhaps you can negotiate with Eastporters especially if you combine with a screen, mount, etc

Whenever I contact Eastporters they push me to JVC when I asked about the 5040 or the Panasonic PT-AE4000/8000U (which was arguably near being discontinued). They claim the JVC X570R has 5x the contrast ratio

I guess have to see in person really but I think the Epson would blow my socks off being my first projector and a higher end one at that

I was looking at the US previously such as B&H or Projector People but exchange rate killing us. If there is significant difference later may take a nibble. Perhaps with a square trade warranty. B&H says can't ship the Epson out of the US so maybe send to a border place
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3034 posts
454 upvotes
bolmsted wrote:
May 5th, 2017 8:46 am
Where can you get the 5040 for $3500? It seems that Eastporters is the de facto place in the GTA and they have it listed for $3800 and Visions has $3900. Perhaps you can negotiate with Eastporters especially if you combine with a screen, mount, etc

Whenever I contact Eastporters they push me to JVC when I asked about the 5040 or the Panasonic PT-AE4000/8000U (which was arguably near being discontinued). They claim the JVC X570R has 5x the contrast ratio

I guess have to see in person really but I think the Epson would blow my socks off being my first projector and a higher end one at that

I was looking at the US previously such as B&H or Projector People but exchange rate killing us. If there is significant difference later may take a nibble. Perhaps with a square trade warranty. B&H says can't ship the Epson out of the US so maybe send to a border place
Eastporters recently quoted me $3,500 for the 5040ub, no package purchase required. They tried to sell me hard on the JVC too; definitely better black-levels but not as good with motion handling. If I was buying a dedicated movie projector I would get the JVC but I will be using it for regular TV, sports, etc.

I opted to just get it from my installer who was able to match down to $3,600.

Now I don't feel as bad about buying new if its $2,900.