Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Epson.ca] 3LCD projectors 40%+ off clearance (refurb) sales.

Jul 18, 2015
43 posts
25 upvotes
Maple, ON
My order has been cancelled three times now. Having the CIBC problem as another user mentioned previously. Not sure what to do and im hoping to get my order in by tomorrow to qualify for the bulb rebate.
Oct 30, 2013
925 posts
517 upvotes
sherminator wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 7:52 pm
My order has been cancelled three times now. Having the CIBC problem as another user mentioned previously. Not sure what to do and im hoping to get my order in by tomorrow to qualify for the bulb rebate.
Try a different cc. My Amex got cancelled twice, worked finally with TD visa.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2681 posts
151 upvotes
does anyone use projector as their main 'living room' tv?
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Jan 6, 2010
226 posts
237 upvotes
Montreal, QC
At this point, if you're gonna shell out that much for a projector, I'd caution to wait until affordable native 4K projectors come out.

Otherwise, get a refurb 2030 for 460$ (!). I'm still very satisfied with mine.
Apr 12, 2017
8 posts
11 upvotes
Deriot wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:59 am
At this point, if you're gonna shell out that much for a projector, I'd caution to wait until affordable native 4K projectors come out.

If you are happy with a $460 projector, by all means. No need to shit on folks who want a better product, better black levels, etc. These prices are still huge discounts from MSRP and these models are exceptionally well reviewed. Many review sites have compared these pixel shifting 4K projectors to the $15K USD real 4K ones from Sony and they're pretty close at 1/3 the price.
Jan 6, 2010
226 posts
237 upvotes
Montreal, QC
gaspimp wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:03 pm
If you are happy with a $460 projector, by all means. No need to shit on folks who want a better product, better black levels, etc. These prices are still huge discounts from MSRP and these models are exceptionally well reviewed. Many review sites have compared these pixel shifting 4K projectors to the $15K USD real 4K ones from Sony and they're pretty close at 1/3 the price.
...What kind of a knee-jerk response is that. There was no mention of shitting on anything. It is indeed a great deal, but with native 4K (hopefully) coming soon, it might be worth the wait.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3019 posts
445 upvotes
Paid $3,600 for my 5040ub brand-new

Phenomenal deal at $2,800 here.

For those interested...the projector doesn't get bright enough to handle HDR well IMO. I can tweak the settings and receive the HDR picture with wide colour gamut, but it'll never replicate the brightness/vividness of my Samsung KS8000. That said, it does accept a 4K signal and the picture is great. Really good 3D as well.

I have it in my basement on a 125 inch screen - amazing picture.
Apr 19, 2017
17 posts
17 upvotes
Glad I picked up that 3500 @ 460 about a year or so ago :)
Oct 8, 2009
692 posts
204 upvotes
Kitchener
Deriot wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:59 am

gaspimp wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:03 pm
Deriot wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:23 pm
...What kind of a knee-jerk response is that. There was no mention of shitting on anything. It is indeed a great deal, but with native 4K (hopefully) coming soon, it might be worth the wait.
damn OP you escalated that fast!

I would have to agree with Deriot. I have friends with the 5040ub and while its an amazing projector and a great price, waiting for a little it longer for native 4K, HDR would be worth the wait.

If you need a projector now and can't wait, or don't really care for 4K then yeah these are a great buy.
Apr 12, 2017
8 posts
11 upvotes
There is always something new around the corner. I didn’t mean to escalate, I just find that to be a bit snarky to pull the old “the cheap one is fine for me” in a thread about a premium product. If folks are in the market for one of these, they are well aware. I don’t go into a thread about a Benz and say how my Corolla is just as good.

You will be waiting a long long time for native 4K at the same contrast ratio we have now in premium eshift projectors at anywhere close to the price. It is nowhere near being right around the corner. Sony released their new entry 4K projector, the 285ES, a few weeks ago. 5K USD, questionable reviews. No 18gbps HDMI or dynamic iris. I think you'll be waiting a while longer.
Jan 6, 2010
226 posts
237 upvotes
Montreal, QC
gaspimp wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 2:08 pm
There is always something new around the corner. I didn’t mean to escalate, I just find that to be a bit snarky to pull the old “the cheap one is fine for me” in a thread about a premium product. If folks are in the market for one of these, they are well aware. I don’t go into a thread about a Benz and say how my Corolla is just as good.

You will be waiting a long long time for native 4K at the same contrast ratio we have now in premium eshift projectors at anywhere close to the price. It is nowhere near being right around the corner.
I also have a Panasonic PT-AE8000 that I got in 2013 or so, but I don't wave it around in a pissing contest. It's not a question about premium products or not, but that for the same amount of money, alternatives may be available soon-ish. And, at that point, people can evaluate if they'd rather have 4K or best-in-class 1080p.

It's just a question of providing people the opportunity of an educated buy.

That said, there was no question of snarky threadcrapping or anything. I even upvoted the thread.
Nov 26, 2003
737 posts
82 upvotes
Trois-Rivieres
For the price, nothing come close to that. I'm amazed by the quality with 4K content since I bought one (refurb from Epson). I wanted real 4K but it's not for tomorrow. I have a dual screen setup (106" 16:9 electric over a 115" 2.35:1 fixed screen). The only one that do 4K with lens memory is the new sony at $10,500 CAD.

The only drawback is that the HDMI port is not 18 Gbps, so it's limited to 24hz content in 4K HDR. So for gaming, it will just do 1080P. I'm hoping that the new Xbox One X allows 1080P HDR like the PS4 Pro.

And for those who matter about the missing 4 million pixels, it's not the number of pixel that makes the most dramatif effect. It's HDR and wide color gammut.

FYI, I upgraded from a Panasonic PT-AE4000U