Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Epson.ca] 3LCD projectors 40%+ off clearance (refurb) sales.

Mar 4, 2014
532 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Hey everyone, the projector is a daily deal on Amazon for $479.99!
Dec 27, 2007
17003 posts
8084 upvotes
Kitchener
Boomer23 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 7:25 am
19 hours remaining and Amazon would allow returns on it.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01LTHX5NG/
Great find.
Dec 27, 2007
17003 posts
8084 upvotes
Kitchener
Lemig0s wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 2:24 am
Watched another movie on my new Optoma HD142x and really cant see any rainbow effect everyone talks about on DLP projectors.

My girlfriend doesnt neither. Not sure what causes others to see it
Not everyone can see it, you are both lucky.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3296 posts
772 upvotes
Once you go projector you’ll never go back :)

Set up a 5040ub in my basement home theatre last summer and it’s incredible.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3079 posts
726 upvotes
Mississauga
aasoror wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 7:41 am
19 hours remaining and Amazon would allow returns on it.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01LTHX5NG/
Great find.
mine still says processing. Wonder if I can cancel my order and save myself $40 and same day delivery through amazon. Epson's cancellation policy seems pretty strict.

"Cancel an Order
Order Cancellation:
We ship promptly after receipt of an order, so we cannot cancel an order. To request a return for exchange/credit, you will need an authorization number and return instructions."
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2365 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
As a heads up for anyone wondering, the amazon DOTD for this comes to CDN$ 545.21 in Ontario and is same day shipping for prime - from my livechat with Amazon they stated the 2 year warranty applies but YMMV on that I guess. Seller is through epson.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LTH ... UTF8&psc=1
Feb 6, 2008
718 posts
131 upvotes
Winnipeg
Epson projector owner addressing two points raised earlier:

1. This projector could easily replace your TV, assuming you don't watch TV in a room with wall-to-wall windows. My Epson 3500 replaced a 50" LG plasma and I no longer own a TV. Wish I'd done this years ago.

2. 3D is not a useless gimmick. E.g., my kids had a blast over the holidays watching IMAX specials in 3D, and Frozen in 3D knocked their socks off. I watched Dr. Strange in 3D and enjoyed it a lot more than I'd expected (I've grown tired of 3D at the movie theatres). That said, I mostly watch 2D.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2922 posts
550 upvotes
Toronto
AstonM wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 8:09 am
As a heads up for anyone wondering, the amazon DOTD for this comes to CDN$ 545.21 in Ontario and is same day shipping for prime - from my livechat with Amazon they stated the 2 year warranty applies but YMMV on that I guess. Seller is through epson.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LTH ... UTF8&psc=1
Amazing, thanks. I just ordered it from Amazon, due to easy returns and may be returning the Benq HT2050. If the Epson is the same or better quality in terms of visuals, I am returning the Benq to save $300-400. Makes sense to me. Plus the lamps are much cheaper than the Benq.
Mar 4, 2014
532 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Tig wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 7:57 am
mine still says processing. Wonder if I can cancel my order and save myself $40 and same day delivery through amazon. Epson's cancellation policy seems pretty strict.

"Cancel an Order
Order Cancellation:
We ship promptly after receipt of an order, so we cannot cancel an order. To request a return for exchange/credit, you will need an authorization number and return instructions."
I cancelled and got a cancellation email right away saying it’s been cancelled.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3079 posts
726 upvotes
Mississauga
Boomer23 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 8:47 am
I cancelled and got a cancellation email right away saying it’s been cancelled.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up! I will do the same :)
Mar 4, 2014
532 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone recommend a good mount for this projector? Looking to project on 150in screen.
Jun 12, 2016
500 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
Boomer23 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 7:25 am
Awesome thanks! Was able to call and cancel my order.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3079 posts
726 upvotes
Mississauga
gyggyg wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 1:00 am
2040 vs. 1040

Compare these two:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-P ... or-pro.htm <-- make sure to click 16:9 aspect ratio
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-P ... or-pro.htm

There's 2 big differences for placement- things so important that the extra "features" on the 2040 should not be used to decide which to purchase.

1. Mounting in terms of vertical height (Ceiling? Table-top? on the floor?)
If you plan on mounting to the ceiling, make sure to click the "ceiling" option on the 1040 page. If you notice, the 2040 doesn't have this option: this is because the projected image is more centered from the lens then the projected image from the 1040. The image from the 1040 projects nearly straight from the bottom of the lens and then upwards to form almost a right-angle triangle. The 2040 doesn't have such an extreme offset, it's more closer centered in terms of the image it shoots out.

When mounting on the ceiling, with the projector flipped upside down, the top of the image will line up just a couple of inches below the 1040's lens. The 2040 will need a longer mount or an extension, in order to make sure the image is projecting evenly onto the screen.

This "shape" of the projected image is important to think about, you should think about what makes more sense for your usage.

2. Mounting in terms of distance from the screen (in front of seating, behind seating?)

The truth is, for the same distance, (say 12 feet) the 2040 will shoot a bigger image than the 1040. Bigger is not always better. This will be good for some people, and bad for others. For example, if you really care about having the projector behind the seating, and your seating is already verging on pretty far from the screen, then you want to maximize your throw distance. The 1040 projecting a smaller image at something like 16 feet than the 2040 works to your advantage, because the minimum size of the projected image at these distances will already be bigger than the majority of people are seeking. 16 feet with the 2040 projects an image that is 150" diagonal, 16 feet with the 1040 is 131" diagonal. Alternatively, if you want the shortest distance and want the projector in front of the seating, particularly if you're having it on a table, then the bigger image the 2040 is projecting may be beneficial.

Make sure you use the zoom settings on the projectorcentral website to make sure you're getting the biggest/smallest possible image from any given distance.

Tl;dr, make sure the projector will shoot out the correct sized image for the distance at which you want to mount it.

There's no point buying an epson 2040 if you want to mount it 16 feet away from the screen onto a 135" screen. Why? Because the smallest image zoom-setting will throw out a 150" image at 16 feet. Doesn't matter if the 2040 is the better projector if it's not usable in one's setup. There's also no point in buying the epson 1040 if you want to get the biggest possible image from the closest range of the screen, since the 2040 does that better.
Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I have a few questions:

1) My screen diagonal is 92". It appears that the 2040 will project a 92" image from a precise throw distance = 8'11". Since my projector is approx 12' away from the screen, I assume that I will have to de-magnify the image to scale it down. Will this degrade the PQ? Would the PQ be better if I moved the projector closer to the screen?

2) I see that as you mentioned, there is no "ceiling" radio button for the 2040. Is there any way to know how far down from the ceiling it needs to be? My current mount does not have an extension. Would like to know if I should order one that does have an extension before the projector arrives.
Images
  • Untitled.jpg
Jun 12, 2016
500 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
Tig wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 11:06 am
Why don't you get a receiver and have all your inputs (cable box, blueray, android media player, etc) go into that and then have 1 HDMI out from the receiver go into your projector and 1 optical out from the receiver go to your bose speakers?
Any idea if a simple 2.1 receiver would do the job connecting to the Epson 2040 if all I want to do is manage inputs from PS3, cable box, Bose 2.1 system, Roku? I was looking at something cheap like this.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3079 posts
726 upvotes
Mississauga
LauD14 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 10:24 am
Any idea if a simple 2.1 receiver would do the job connecting to the Epson 2040 if all I want to do is manage inputs from PS3, cable box, Bose 2.1 system, Roku? I was looking at something cheap like this.
Yes, if all you are planning on using is your Bose 2.1 then a simple 2.1 receiver will do. However, not to make your life more complicated, but if you plan on getting center and rear speakers one day, then you'd be better off finding something that's at least 5.1.

Also, the receiver in the link you provided says that it only supports "2 x RCA outputs", but (and correct me if I am wrong), your Bose system also comes with a subwoofer.