• Jul 13th, 2017 8:24 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20955 posts
10299 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU

3M Command Picture Hanging Strips

Just a PSA to let everyone know that these 3M Command Picture Hanging strips are basically the greatest invention since alcohol and the rippers

I've used these for everything from mounting my ecobee thermostat to mounting an amazon echo dot on the wall to mounting a usb hub to the back of my tv. These are my new found love

Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
8 replies
Aug 16, 2009
991 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
I agree the idea is good but it doesn't always work. I have it on 2 picture frames (relatively light and small/medium size). 1 frame is still on. The other fell off after a year. Thankfully it fell onto my couch instead of on my hardwood floor! I would have been ok with the frame breaking but if it damaged my hardwood floor I would have been peeved.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5498 posts
2290 upvotes
Paris
My cousin has a diagnosed collector issue with Montreal Canadians crap. He had this huge picture in his basement hung with 2 command picture hangers for about 5 years until we were sitting there one day and it just dropped. No warning, out of the blue. One didnt come off, then the other, it just dropped.

I picked it up and was shocked something that heavy lasted 5 years.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Apr 16, 2009
157 posts
18 upvotes
I had a bad experience with these 3M Command strips. My kids had a Hot Wheels track set that came with the 3M Command strips to attach the track to the wall. When I wanted to remove the track from the wall, one strip wouldn't come off at all. The other strips somehow lost their pull tabs (I don't know how this happened but you know how kids are) so there was no way to pull them off the wall. I had to remove them by force, which removed parts of my paint/drywall, which sucked.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4087 posts
620 upvotes
Toronto
Added a couple to a network switch. Switch got warm-ish and the strips failed. Never again.
Nov 7, 2012
847 posts
325 upvotes
TORONTO
Not good for heavy things. Great for 'temporary' mounting. Like many have said, over time the adhesive stops sticking.

OP: why would you need to mount your ecobee with this stuff? Unless your thermostat wires aren't in an electrical box.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9913 posts
3993 upvotes
Brampton
Love them for their intended use. Eg hanging pictures and not so heavy framed items.

The strips have designated weight limits shown on the package. You're usually good for about 1.1x Of the rating. If I know I'm going to be going significantly over I use enough strips for the total weight distributed equally along the item + 50% more number of strips and. I haven't had a problem ( eg if it takes 2 strips to hold 4 lbs then I use 3 strips).

Thanks for giving me the idea to use them for mounting the echo dot with them!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9913 posts
3993 upvotes
Brampton
akswun wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 2:39 pm
Not good for heavy things. Great for 'temporary' mounting. Like many have said, over time the adhesive stops sticking.

OP: why would you need to mount your ecobee with this stuff? Unless your thermostat wires aren't in an electrical box.
I rarely ever (almost never) see low voltage wiring like thermostat wiring In a box.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5498 posts
2290 upvotes
Paris
tebore wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 8:08 am
I rarely ever (almost never) see low voltage wiring like thermostat wiring In a box.
Agreed. Only time Ive seen it is in parents place they built in 2002. Builder boxed thermostat wires and built in speaker wires. Every one of my houses has been some wires sticking out of drywall.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.