Automotive

Are 4 or 5 point harness seatbelts legal for street use cars?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2011 11:45 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 17, 2004
423 posts
57 upvotes

Are 4 or 5 point harness seatbelts legal for street use cars?

I've heard rumours but wondering what the facts are. Are 4 point or 5 point seat belt harnesses allowed for street cars? I'm not talking about replacing original belts off but using this on a custom street legal hot rod (kit car).

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7514 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I dont see why not? They are safer then regular seat belts.
Maximum Repair
Computer & Cell Phone Repair
PM me for more info
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10973 posts
1338 upvotes
You can have them installed in the car for at the track use, but you can't use them on the street. For ON, the HTA says that seat belts must be certified to meet federal safety standards and the (stock) seat belts must not be modified/ altered.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
The post above this is correct.
In theory you can use them but you also have to use an OEM seatbelt to be legal.
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Feb 15th, 2011 2:47 pm
You can have them installed in the car for at the track use, but you can't use them on the street. For ON, the HTA says that seat belts must be certified to meet federal safety standards and the (stock) seat belts must not be modified/ altered.

yes correct, i have both installed in my car, at the track i use the 5 point and on the streets i use the oem one.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3897 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
One of the common suggestions you get with going this route is to also have a cage. Theory being that if you roll over and roof caves in, you can't duck like you can with OEM belts. I've never heard of this happening to anyone but I suppose it's possible. just an fyi
--
There is no happy ending
[OP]
Feb 17, 2004
423 posts
57 upvotes
Sylvestre wrote:
Feb 15th, 2011 5:12 pm
One of the common suggestions you get with going this route is to also have a cage. Theory being that if you roll over and roof caves in, you can't duck like you can with OEM belts. I've never heard of this happening to anyone but I suppose it's possible. just an fyi

This should interesting, the car is a custom built kit car, no OEM seatbelts. It does have a roll cage so may require more digging onto what a police officer is going to say, most likely, "what the heck is this thing?"
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
Roll cage on street car = bad (IMO at least, unless you drive with a helmet on all the time.)
Get into an accident and hit ur head on a roll cage and kiss ur brains good bye!
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
1014 posts
51 upvotes
Calgary
sickcars wrote:
Feb 15th, 2011 2:46 pm
I dont see why not? They are safer then regular seat belts.

it's harder for the firefighters to cut you out in case of emergency.
× < >