None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14403 posts
172 upvotes
Mississauga

4 days in NEw York

What amazing off the beaten track things should we do in New York?
Can u name some great restaurants not in the tourist books?
How about a jazz club? Blues?
Can u think of place u were and thought - wow, this is awesome.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
65 upvotes
there's a sake bar called decibel, its really small but its got some pretty good stuff.
Back for a limited engagement.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
Where in NY are you staying... right in NYC??

If so, check out a place called Angelo's --> very good pasta, awesome pizza and caprese salad. Not to mention their cannoli! :D

There's another place, that we missed out on, but apparently it's a flat fee but you get to try everything on the menu, very interesting concept. I will look it up and get you the name.

Brooklyn Diner is cool... again, great food.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1991 posts
172 upvotes
Whereabouts is Angelos? What are their prices like?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14403 posts
172 upvotes
Mississauga
WHere's ANgelos?
Did u figure out the name of that sampling restaurant?
rc51 wrote:Where in NY are you staying... right in NYC??

If so, check out a place called Angelo's --> very good pasta, awesome pizza and caprese salad. Not to mention their cannoli! :D

There's another place, that we missed out on, but apparently it's a flat fee but you get to try everything on the menu, very interesting concept. I will look it up and get you the name.

Brooklyn Diner is cool... again, great food.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
2086 posts
109 upvotes
I just got back from NYC and you gotta try Mesa Grill, own by Bobby Flay.. Price was very resonable and food was awesome. Make sure you reserve a head of time, cause on the day of, i was only able to get the 10:30pm slot.

Also try The Cheese Cake Factory, that place is amazing for the food you get for the price you pay..

This is what i got
[IMG]http://www.ziff.net/~rice-boy/trip2005/DSC00011.jpg[/IMG]
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14403 posts
172 upvotes
Mississauga
No wonder americans are massive.
Heatware 47-0

Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
2086 posts
109 upvotes
mlc2000 wrote:No wonder americans are massive.
i can basically share a meal with my gf no problem..
Apr 1, 2005
238 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
serendipity dessert place...there's a romance-comedy movie that had the restaurant in it for a bit. it's famous for their hot frozen chocolate drink that everyone seems to go crazy for.
Nov 26, 2003
14 posts
Last time I went to New York we went to this Japanese Izakaya place called Kenka in East Village:

25 St. Marks Place

New York Metro Profile

Cheap and authentic, or pick one of the other little restaurants in the area if it is too busy. I really sated my craving for cooked japanese bar food there, there's so much selection. I wish I could read what the specials were on the wall though... Also, you get a little cup of flavoured sugar so you can make your own cotton candy in their machine!

Try the Chu-Hai, it's an alcoholic fruit soda kinda thing. Refreshing and not too sweet.

Kam
Nov 14, 2003
552 posts
629 upvotes
I dont mean to hijack your thread. But what hotel are u staying in?How did u find it? I am planning on going on a road trip and wanna find reasonable accomodation?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
2086 posts
109 upvotes
if you plan on going to woodbury.. i would suggest you guys stay in NJ.. there are hotels that got the shop and stay package for like $120 and get $25 GC back.

I stayed at the Courtyard Marriot at Mahwah, NJ
25 mins from NYC and Woodbury.

BTW there is no taxes in NJ state for clothes!!! and tax is only 6%..
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
girlstar wrote:Whereabouts is Angelos? What are their prices like?

We ran into 2 of them...one right down by Times Square and the other up a little bit on I think , 57th, very close to the Carnegie.

Prices were pretty reasonable... especially since the food was great.

We had the crapese salad on both times, (real mozza!!!), pizza was awesome... the pasta I tried was OK, I guess I wasn't overly hungry at the time. Cannoli was really good.