Computers & Electronics

4 GB USB promo flash drives ??

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2018 5:41 pm
[OP]
Dec 23, 2018
10 posts

4 GB USB promo flash drives ??

Has anyone found a wholesaler that can supply mini USB flash drives ? I have checked Amazon here and in USA. They appear to be OK for files and pictures; however they have incredibly slow write speeds. I will be using them for video files of approx. 1.5-2.5 GB. Transfer speed would take 10-20 min per drive. I am trying to keep cost to no more than $4 each as they will be given away. I do not require a logo. Looking on Alibaba and such sites they start at around $4 CDN plus a large shipping fee, making them too expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Images
  • USB.jpg
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3166 posts
724 upvotes
Oshawa
Good luck.

What's the point of stupidity of 4GB drives.

I don't use anything less than 16GB ... and its way more convenient to have the space.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Jun 10, 2006
363 posts
62 upvotes
In general I agree that 4gb is too small for most uses -- but one great use of ones this small for 'giveaway' would be ready-to-demo-and-install Linux distros (which can BTW also be used as 'rescue' systems). :)
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1045 posts
438 upvotes
GTA
People replying don't understand that this is a someone who's business is in film or photography and needs to give clients their stuff on a media that can hold large data but usable because no one has cd drives anymore.

Most aliexpress usb's go for $6 for a measly 4gb USB 3, which would give you the performance of writing files within a minutes.
USB 2 would hit that price range but you would be spending about 20mins writing to them.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
This would be more usable to the customer but of course more expensive to give away.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4704 posts
591 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I assume you saw drives like these on amazon....$C33.- + $C3.- for 10 pieces.
Reviews seem to be good - no idea how one would find out about the write speed.
https://www.amazon.ca/Swivel-Flash-Driv ... 0760&psc=1

But is that really a problem if you set them up to write during the night.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2018
10 posts
krs wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 10:15 pm
I assume you saw drives like these on amazon....$C33.- + $C3.- for 10 pieces.
Reviews seem to be good - no idea how one would find out about the write speed.
https://www.amazon.ca/Swivel-Flash-Driv ... 0760&psc=1

But is that really a problem if you set them up to write during the night.
Yes, Im thinking something like this is my best option. Thanks for the help.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2018
10 posts
Was hoping to start with 25 to see how they perform.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2018
10 posts
MadCanadian wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 6:34 pm
People replying don't understand that this is a someone who's business is in film or photography and needs to give clients their stuff on a media that can hold large data but usable because no one has cd drives anymore.

Most aliexpress usb's go for $6 for a measly 4gb USB 3, which would give you the performance of writing files within a minutes.
USB 2 would hit that price range but you would be spending about 20mins writing to them.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
This would be more usable to the customer but of course more expensive to give away.
You hit the nail on the head. CD or DVD is on the way out for file transfer or back ups. Most laptops no longer have CD rom. I having been using DVD for years as it was the preferred choice, not so much anymore. I think for now I will try out the Amazon 10 pack of 4GB. Thanks for your reply.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5776 posts
791 upvotes
For write speed unfortunately all the cheap drives will probably be around the same. Basically internally it's generally a Micro SD card soldered to a board, they use el cheapo SD cards hence why the abysmal write speed, but hey if you're giving it away cost is important.

You can prob just get a USB hub and then since they are all slow (it's not going to max out the bandwidth) you can just copy to multiple drives simultaneously to help speed things up.