• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2007 4:29 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 2, 2006
841 posts
15 upvotes

4-Speed + Overdrive = 5-Speed?

comparing a CRV (5-speed auto) against a 4 cylinder RAV4 (4-speed auto w/ overdrive). is the overdrive in the RAV4 equivalent to a 5th gear?
7 replies
Mar 11, 2007
422 posts
number84 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2007 6:13 pm
comparing a CRV (5-speed auto) against a 4 cylinder RAV4 (4-speed auto w/ overdrive). is the overdrive in the RAV4 equivalent to a 5th gear?
no its a 3 gear tranny with an overdrive, 4th is just 3rd gear with overdrive ON
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19887 posts
1520 upvotes
As you mentioned in your post it's usually called a 4 speed with overdrive, not 4-speed plus overdrive as your thread title says.

The answer is as Masterballer stated... I.e. 4th gear is your overdrive gear. The same is true for virtually any modern auto, whether it's a 4spd or 5spd or 6spd or what have you--the top gear is the overdrive gear.
[OP]
Nov 2, 2006
841 posts
15 upvotes
okay thanks...good to know...i think i would prefer the CRV in this case then since it has the 5-speed.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3805 posts
4 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jun 12th, 2007 12:06 am
As you mentioned in your post it's usually called a 4 speed with overdrive, not 4-speed plus overdrive as your thread title says.

The answer is as Masterballer stated... I.e. 4th gear is your overdrive gear. The same is true for virtually any modern auto, whether it's a 4spd or 5spd or 6spd or what have you--the top gear is the overdrive gear.
Thanks for thinking about me even though i didnt mention anything...i feel the love man :cheesygri
Dec 2, 2003
740 posts
3 upvotes
number84 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2007 1:49 am
okay thanks...good to know...i think i would prefer the CRV in this case then since it has the 5-speed.
More gears does not necessarily mean better (especially when comparing a 4 speed to 5 speed).

The Honda pretty much "requires" more gears because the power band is small on the engine (high rev, low torque).

Your best bet is to drive both and see if you notice the difference, the transmission is only one part of the overall powertrain.

However, a 6 speed has a fuel economy advantage of about 3 - 5% in most applications when compared to a 4/5 speed.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
1072 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jun 12th, 2007 12:06 am

Many modern transmissions actually have two overdrive gears - overdrive just means that the transmission output shaft spins faster than the input shaft in that gear. The 8-speed and 7-speed transmissions from Lexus, Mercedes and BMW have the top two gears with ratios less than 1:1, meaning that they are overdrive gears. There are some manual transmissions as well with 5 or 6 speeds where top two gears are overdrive gears.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19887 posts
1520 upvotes
masterballer wrote:
Jun 12th, 2007 9:52 am
Thanks for thinking about me even though i didnt mention anything...i feel the love man :cheesygri
LMAO, yeah I guess I had two tabs open with different threads and thought you were the one that posted that. It was KnifeEdge I meant to say...
notanexpert wrote:
Jun 12th, 2007 10:44 am
Many modern transmissions actually have two overdrive gears - overdrive just means that the transmission output shaft spins faster than the input shaft in that gear. The 8-speed and 7-speed transmissions from Lexus, Mercedes and BMW have the top two gears with ratios less than 1:1, meaning that they are overdrive gears. There are some manual transmissions as well with 5 or 6 speeds where top two gears are overdrive gears.
Yes, that's true. As you said all overdrive means is [numerically] a gear that has a ratio of less than 1.00.
× < >