• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2019 11:57 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 1, 2019
2 posts

4 year old eye astigmatism help !!

hi

my son is 4 year old... I took him to eye doctor as he has eye infection. She checked his eyes and said he has eye astigmatism and needs to wear glasses. She referred my son to a pediatric ophthalmologist. My heart is broken. I am not able to digest the idea of wearing my son glasses. We dint notice symptoms earlier, his kindergarten teacher never complained about this. Any help and suggestions would be helpful fir me. Thanks in advance!! I
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28776 posts
14583 upvotes
Ottawa
What exactly are your worried about?
The astigmatism has been diagnosed and your child has to wear glasses...doesn't seem to be severe.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1622 posts
883 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
^ what is the problem exactly? Lots of little kids wear glasses, it’s only a big deal if you make it one. There are many more serious things to be heart broken over, glasses is not one of them.

My advice, is follow the optometrist advice, often at the younger ages, they need to be monitored more frequently, ours had our kids going every 6 months, Prescriptions changes all the time some for worst some better at the young ages.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2149 posts
1135 upvotes
Nearly everybody has astigmatism. Its no big deal. When the kid is old enough, they can get laser surgery to remove it if they want. Which is also pretty much a painless process as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4823 posts
3988 upvotes
VidyaB47164 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 4:04 pm
hi

my son is 4 year old... I took him to eye doctor as he has eye infection. She checked his eyes and said he has eye astigmatism and needs to wear glasses. She referred my son to a pediatric ophthalmologist. My heart is broken. I am not able to digest the idea of wearing my son glasses. We dint notice symptoms earlier, his kindergarten teacher never complained about this. Any help and suggestions would be helpful fir me. Thanks in advance!! I
OMG!!! Four-eyed freak!!!!!

But seriously.... What's wrong with wearing glasses?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1263 posts
487 upvotes
Maybe OP doesn't have extended health benefits or benefits that include eyeglasses.
Jun 12, 2008
712 posts
152 upvotes
Ripley
jay-em wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:37 pm
Maybe OP doesn't have extended health benefits or benefits that include eyeglasses.
https://www.optom.on.ca/OAO/ESEL/OAO/ES ... Learn.aspx

Also: Loblaw that provides free eyeglasses for kids. Once per year, kids ages 4 to 10 who have a recent prescription can get a free pair of eyeglasses. (This program is available across Canada in Loblaw grocery stores with an Optical Department. So, depending on what grocery stores you have in your neck of the woods, you can get access to this program at a Real Canadian Superstore, Loblaws, Zehrs, Fortinos, Independent, Atlantic Superstore or Dominion store with an Optical Department).
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2474 posts
719 upvotes
Woodbridge
Must be a troll, right? First post is this?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1596 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
jay-em wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:37 pm
I don't think this is it because the OP's heart is literally broken. Could be a troll post.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1772 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
So I'm guessing OP might be South Asian... for some reason, my peeps take glasses as a very negative thing.

For OP, I'd strongly suggest you be positive and get your son glasses. Don't make him feel bad about it... at this point you want him to wear his glasses as much as possible. It's not a reflection on you, nor your parenting abilities, it's just nature.

My eyes went badly at a very young age, and my south Asian mom literally wept and made me feel like a failure. I ended up not wanting to wear my glasses... so I didn't. End result was my eyes got worse ( meaning she cried at every annual appointment), I couldn't see at school and my grades suffered and I had awful self esteem and low confidence, largely because she made me feel so hideous.

Crying about it and making your son feel bad is the worst thing you can do. Best case scenario, he grows out of it. Worst case.. he has to wear glasses... there's contact lenses and laser eye surgery options.... and at least there's technology out there today where the coke bottles of yester year no longer have to happen.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8669 posts
1527 upvotes
Edmonton
Would you rather the problem not be detected and go uncorrected? Kids eyes don't reach maturity until 7 or 8 so astigmatisms are often corrected with glasses if caught young enough. You should be thankful
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2149 posts
1135 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 12:47 am
Would you rather the problem not be detected and go uncorrected? Kids eyes don't reach maturity until 7 or 8 so astigmatisms are often corrected with glasses if caught young enough. You should be thankful
Refractive error rarely just magically goes away. The risk of not treating is developmental and learning delay.

But on the bright side, there are lots of options for treating such. Glasses, contact lenses, Ortho-K, and when the kid is older, PRK.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8669 posts
1527 upvotes
Edmonton
burnt69 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 6:38 pm
Refractive error rarely just magically goes away. The risk of not treating is developmental and learning delay.

But on the bright side, there are lots of options for treating such. Glasses, contact lenses, Ortho-K, and when the kid is older, PRK.
Thanks...?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5378 posts
979 upvotes
Kids wearing glasses is so common, The Wiggles have a song called "I put my glasses on".
No external links in signatures - Mods
Jul 25, 2008
859 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
When my son was an infant and suffering through eczema, my heart was broken to see him oozing, itchy and red. My friend who has a two year old found a grape sized lump on his belly and found out to be a tumour. He went into surgery and had it removed. It did spread into his kidneys. He is now undergoing chemo. All if this at two years old. Just be thankful that its only astigmatism and not something like cancer. I would probably break down if my kids had cancer.