• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2019 12:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 1, 2019
1 posts

4 year old eye astigmatism help !!

hi

my son is 4 year old... I took him to eye doctor as he has eye infection. She checked his eyes and said he has eye astigmatism and needs to wear glasses. She referred my son to a pediatric ophthalmologist. My heart is broken. I am not able to digest the idea of wearing my son glasses. We dint notice symptoms earlier, his kindergarten teacher never complained about this. Any help and suggestions would be helpful fir me. Thanks in advance!! I
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24363 posts
10728 upvotes
Ottawa
What exactly are your worried about?
The astigmatism has been diagnosed and your child has to wear glasses...doesn't seem to be severe.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1377 posts
622 upvotes
^ what is the problem exactly? Lots of little kids wear glasses, it’s only a big deal if you make it one. There are many more serious things to be heart broken over, glasses is not one of them.

My advice, is follow the optometrist advice, often at the younger ages, they need to be monitored more frequently, ours had our kids going every 6 months, Prescriptions changes all the time some for worst some better at the young ages.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1429 posts
758 upvotes
Nearly everybody has astigmatism. Its no big deal. When the kid is old enough, they can get laser surgery to remove it if they want. Which is also pretty much a painless process as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3776 posts
2792 upvotes
VidyaB47164 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 4:04 pm
hi

my son is 4 year old... I took him to eye doctor as he has eye infection. She checked his eyes and said he has eye astigmatism and needs to wear glasses. She referred my son to a pediatric ophthalmologist. My heart is broken. I am not able to digest the idea of wearing my son glasses. We dint notice symptoms earlier, his kindergarten teacher never complained about this. Any help and suggestions would be helpful fir me. Thanks in advance!! I
OMG!!! Four-eyed freak!!!!!

But seriously.... What's wrong with wearing glasses?
Nov 1, 2009
845 posts
225 upvotes
Maybe OP doesn't have extended health benefits or benefits that include eyeglasses.
Jun 12, 2008
633 posts
70 upvotes
Ripley
jay-em wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:37 pm
Maybe OP doesn't have extended health benefits or benefits that include eyeglasses.
https://www.optom.on.ca/OAO/ESEL/OAO/ES ... Learn.aspx

Also: Loblaw that provides free eyeglasses for kids. Once per year, kids ages 4 to 10 who have a recent prescription can get a free pair of eyeglasses. (This program is available across Canada in Loblaw grocery stores with an Optical Department. So, depending on what grocery stores you have in your neck of the woods, you can get access to this program at a Real Canadian Superstore, Loblaws, Zehrs, Fortinos, Independent, Atlantic Superstore or Dominion store with an Optical Department).
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2030 posts
524 upvotes
Woodbridge
Must be a troll, right? First post is this?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1331 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
jay-em wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:37 pm
I don't think this is it because the OP's heart is literally broken. Could be a troll post.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1748 posts
136 upvotes
Mississauga
So I'm guessing OP might be South Asian... for some reason, my peeps take glasses as a very negative thing.

For OP, I'd strongly suggest you be positive and get your son glasses. Don't make him feel bad about it... at this point you want him to wear his glasses as much as possible. It's not a reflection on you, nor your parenting abilities, it's just nature.

My eyes went badly at a very young age, and my south Asian mom literally wept and made me feel like a failure. I ended up not wanting to wear my glasses... so I didn't. End result was my eyes got worse ( meaning she cried at every annual appointment), I couldn't see at school and my grades suffered and I had awful self esteem and low confidence, largely because she made me feel so hideous.

Crying about it and making your son feel bad is the worst thing you can do. Best case scenario, he grows out of it. Worst case.. he has to wear glasses... there's contact lenses and laser eye surgery options.... and at least there's technology out there today where the coke bottles of yester year no longer have to happen.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)