Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

40% off Sherwin Williams May 12-28

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2017 5:14 pm
Oct 6, 2010
329 posts
286 upvotes
Markham
That's a bummer.. I used it on their last 40% off sale. :( Wonder if their system is down or something.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
2171 posts
874 upvotes
So for the 400sqft, do I just measure the height and length of each wall to get the area and add them up or is 400sqft like a general number as in - this gallon should generally cover most apartment sizes of 400sqft?
Nov 13, 2007
533 posts
269 upvotes
Montreal
Generally that's the way to do it.. However, please keep in mind that to get best results 2 coats (or more in some situations) may be required. Therefore if your walls add up to 400 sq ft, you will most likely need 2 - 1 Gallon cans and maybe an extra pint to get 2 coats. As 1 gallon says it can do 400sq feet, but it all depends on the situation and technique, waste etc.

If you're painting over darker walls, a primer would probably be better (and cheaper) to apply before painting in order to get good results.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Any recommendations of exterior paint for front door and garage doors?
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3891 posts
3907 upvotes
GTA
RookieCookie wrote: I'd probably try a magic eraser, they take pretty much any thing off of walls.

I've personally found SW's paint to be the best. I've used their Emerald, Duration, and Harmony lineup and they have all been excellent! Way better than the Behr paint that I used to use from Home Depot. Plus it's pretty much the same cost when it's at 40% off.
Be careful with the magic eraser, too much pressure and you can change the finish of the paint on the wall. Ask me how I know. :facepalm:
Jul 14, 2016
26 posts
6 upvotes
QC
Worked there for several years if you have any questions feel free to ask though pm.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3341 posts
2076 upvotes
Thanks OP. Just in time.. finished mudding and moving on to paint this weekend.

I checked their 5 gallon primer and the price seemed pretty high even after savings.

I saw Wal Mart has a Gideon (I think) brand for $70 regular price

I realize the Gideon is inferior quality, but this is new drywall or painting over an eggshell or beige that was there before. Not sure I need a higher end primer.

Thoughts on that?

On a side note our bill didnt seem right. Store was closing so it was a bit of a rush to get it done. I don't think they applied our $10 off code.. though they took our phone and punched in the number.. or looked like they did. Oh well, still a good price.

We are doing a few rooms and ceilings this weekend then will decide if we want to get the rest of the paint next week.
Nov 11, 2014
25 posts
20 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Hey Guys - currently work for Sherwin. Let me answer a couple questions.
400sqft per gallon is a rough estimate. That is for 1 gallon.

If you need to measure square footage it is height multiplied by length. If you have windows/doors it with effect the amount you need - try using the colorsnap app to measure amounts, you can deduct doors/windows on the calculator.

Depending on the color you currently have to what you may paint, you may need to purchase a primer let alone a tinted one in order to get the true color. Eg- If painting red, you should use a gray primer in order for the color to not bleed through as easily.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
2171 posts
874 upvotes
So my review.

bought 5 gallons of paints at S&W (emerald) + tapes + roller etc. for 300$ all in.
I never got a 10$ off 50$ coupon via e-mail but I found one on their website by googling (good until end of June I believe).
They only let me use the coupon once because they thought it was a unique coupon, I didn't press it but it would've been nice if they let us use it more than once.
As for the accessories like brush and tapes, they were at 30% off. I am not sure if it's with the Paint-perks membership or just a normal promotion along with the 40% off the paint though.

I went on their site and used the paint&coating calculator to get the amount of gallons I would need per coat and bought enough to do two coatings.
We are very pleased with the outcome of the paint and we really recommend the SW products :)
I noticed that they dried really quickly but it came off quiet easily off the hardwood floors with a bit of warm soapy water.
For us, two coats were enough and we never used a primer.

I think we will go for SW again next time if they are on sale and we need to paint more :)
May 11, 2006
395 posts
320 upvotes
I bought Dulux diamond from the previous BOGO sale and I have to say, this paint works very well. Its well worth the money.

My walls came primed with the house (bought new), so I'm getting good enough coverage to only have to apply one coat of paint, even with darker colours.
I'm not getting any paint streaks from brushes or rollers and it hides things very well. This paint doesn't run either unless you're being careless.

I'm impressed by the chemical engineering that has been put into this specific product. One gallon seems to be yielding roughly 450sq feet, I used 400sqft for my calculation, so I have plenty of paint with a couple extra gallons purchased as reserve (could be tinted later).
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
regteg wrote: Hey Guys - currently work for Sherwin. Let me answer a couple questions.
400sqft per gallon is a rough estimate. That is for 1 gallon.

If you need to measure square footage it is height multiplied by length. If you have windows/doors it with effect the amount you need - try using the colorsnap app to measure amounts, you can deduct doors/windows on the calculator.

Depending on the color you currently have to what you may paint, you may need to purchase a primer let alone a tinted one in order to get the true color. Eg- If painting red, you should use a gray primer in order for the color to not bleed through as easily.
I got a question for you.....I have two unopened untinted cans of Ovation paint from around three years ago...can this paint be used or better to buy "fresh" paint?
Nov 11, 2014
25 posts
20 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
3 years is usually the shelf life of paint. That being said, if it doesn't have a bad odor you can try having it tinted. Three years is a long time, the formula may have changed and it may be an issue if you need a 3rd can for touch ups. If it smells, throw it out - it is latex based so it will go rancid eventually.
Apr 23, 2016
717 posts
960 upvotes
Kelowna
antzz wrote: anyone tried their stains? is it good for PT wood decks?
I stained my cedar fence last year with SW stain and it's horribly faded already. I added some 1x8 lattices about a month ago and even they're starting to fade. They're both in areas that get a lot of sunlight.

It's my first experience with stain, so I have nothing to compare it with... But when I inevitably stain my fence again I'm definitely not planning to use Sherwin Williams, that's for sure.
Dec 13, 2016
499 posts
268 upvotes
I am thinking of buying some paint for July, when I move in
Can I buy now and refund it a few months later if they are untainted and unopened?
Oct 7, 2007
397 posts
168 upvotes
Rider Nation
number8888 wrote: Any recommendations of exterior paint for front door and garage doors?
I use a lot of SW paint. Probably 100-150 gallons a year BUT.
Go buy Aura benjamin moore. I've painted a few doors semi- gloss black. The latest pumpkin orange. Use a small foam roller but first brush in the areas to get in the crevices. Then go over the brush marks with the foam roller as you move along. I usually take the doors off and paint on a saw horse 2 coats in 1 day. (Caution if you cant take the door off paint when the sun is not on the door. Shade is your friend.) Then I put the door back up after its had 3 or 4 hours of dry time and vaseline the weatherstripping. wipe the vaseline off the next day.That way the paint doesn't stick if any wet residue. Caution Aura dries in an hour and has open time of maybe 15 mins. So keep the lid on the can and make sure to keep it stirred, try to stay away from doing overlap marks. If you miss a spot or seems like you skimmed it to lightly leave it and catch it on the 2 coat.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)