None
[OP]
Dec 5, 2012
63 posts
5 upvotes
North York

[Lenovo Canada] $400+ off Lenovo Ideapad

Hey guys,

So Lenovo is having a sale on its laptops and I found these quite appealing, what do you think?

14" Y400
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... MH9WGdpdlA
15.6" Y500
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... MH9p2dpdlA

What do you think of:
IdeaPad Y400 Laptop - 952328U - Dusk Black
IdeaPad Y500 Laptop - 59360244 - Dusk Black
Are they good for their price? Since they are kind of new, there aren't any reviews yet so I'm still wondering if it'd be a good choice.
32 replies
Sep 2, 2006
6 posts
1 upvote
I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y550 and its always been a good laptop. The only thing I would recommend is increasing the battery size from 6 cell if you are planning to use it unplug most of the time.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2012
63 posts
5 upvotes
North York
sergebr wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 10:19 am
I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y550 and its always been a good laptop. The only thing I would recommend is increasing the battery size from 6 cell if you are planning to use it unplug most of the time.
I see, I might need to use it unplug pretty often at school. About how long does your battery last on average?
Should I go with the base 1 year warranty?
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28499 posts
837 upvotes
Fernando Po
When is Lenovo not having a sale on their laptops? The trick is finding the right code.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
2849 posts
551 upvotes
Thanks. Good deal on the Y500 for $849. 3rd gen i7, 8GB ram, 1TB HDD, 2GB NVidia dedicated video.

Add 3 year depot warranty to it for $75.

4% cashback from RFD too. Would be even more epic if they accepted paypal for an additional 5% back,.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2254 posts
470 upvotes
Lethbridge
Rofl - Their sale is still going...

I looked at these on BF, specifically that 14” model. For $750 it is a very decent price for an i7 with a 650m graphics card & backlit keyboard. The latter being a must have option which really limited my “affordable” options.

In the end I decided since its primary use was for the misses for school & literally the only time I’d use it would be the odd vacation, it was probably overkill. In the end, I settled for one of the ~$450 i5 Dell Vostro’s on special.

Depends on what you want it for in the end - If you are looking to use a laptop for any gaming then you will be hard-pressed to find anything with a mid-range 7770m ATI card or 650m equivalent at this price point (imo). If you can live with their silly international keyboards & the reduced battery life of the hungry i7 + dedicated graphics card, I’d say you could do worse.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1768 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
ahh so tempted
what could one expect from the battery life of these models?
© 2015
[OP]
Dec 5, 2012
63 posts
5 upvotes
North York
Pauly Boy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 12:57 pm
Rofl - Their sale is still going...

I looked at these on BF, specifically that 14” model. For $750 it is a very decent price for an i7 with a 650m graphics card & backlit keyboard. The latter being a must have option which really limited my “affordable” options.

In the end I decided since its primary use was for the misses for school & literally the only time I’d use it would be the odd vacation, it was probably overkill. In the end, I settled for one of the ~$450 i5 Dell Vostro’s on special.

Depends on what you want it for in the end - If you are looking to use a laptop for any gaming then you will be hard-pressed to find anything with a mid-range 7770m ATI card or 650m equivalent at this price point (imo). If you can live with their silly international keyboards & the reduced battery life of the hungry i7 + dedicated graphics card, I’d say you could do worse.
Well honestly I really wanted to get Dell at first, but it's just that they use AMD video cards in most models and their prices are so strict. I actually just went to their website and the Vostro for $719 is like half the ability as Yseries, well, I just don't feel as happy since the money were kind of wasted in my mind. I would definitely get it though if it has a larger discount since I'm not a hardcore gamer....

So this sale has been going on for a while? Actually didn't notice until just now :o
So for the 14" model at $750 and 15" model with FHD at $850, which one would you go with? And what's up with the international keyboards? And do you know about how long does it actually last? Quite interested.

And a language question, what does "If you can live with their silly international keyboards & the reduced battery life of the hungry i7 + dedicated graphics card, I’d say you could do worse. " this mean? Me --> ESL, so please forgive me. :cry:
[OP]
Dec 5, 2012
63 posts
5 upvotes
North York
junot111 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 1:19 pm
ahh so tempted
what could one expect from the battery life of these models?
I saw on a youtube video it's about 3 hours under movies and medium lightness, and about 1.5 hours under full power running, but I'm not sure where they got that though.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2012
63 posts
5 upvotes
North York
Damed wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 12:55 pm
Thanks. Good deal on the Y500 for $849. 3rd gen i7, 8GB ram, 1TB HDD, 2GB NVidia dedicated video.

Add 3 year depot warranty to it for $75.

4% cashback from RFD too. Would be even more epic if they accepted paypal for an additional 5% back,.
So for the 14" model at $750 and 15" model with FHD at $850, which one would you go with? Is $100 for a FHD good enough? I'm kind of hestitating now :confused:
Oh and does 14" come with a number pad?
Nov 29, 2009
22 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
My sister is looking to get a laptop for school. She's in an Architecture program so she'll need to use AutoCAD and Rhino? (I think that's what it was)... would the Y500 for 850$ be a good choice? Or what does someone else suggest she should be looking at?
Sep 2, 2006
6 posts
1 upvote
edecho16 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 12:03 pm
I see, I might need to use it unplug pretty often at school. About how long does your battery last on average?
Should I go with the base 1 year warranty?
I would buy the one year warranty since any hardware problems are usually found in the first year. I also would recommend a stronger battery (say 9 or 12 cell) since a 6 cell is usually good for 3 hours of continuous use.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
2849 posts
551 upvotes
saywordz wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 2:17 pm
My sister is looking to get a laptop for school. She's in an Architecture program so she'll need to use AutoCAD and Rhino? (I think that's what it was)... would the Y500 for 850$ be a good choice? Or what does someone else suggest she should be looking at?
Funny you should mention.

I bought the laptop for just that purpose (Autocad 2013). There is much discussion as to whether these 2GB 650m graphics are better than/as good as the quadro series. While there are arguments for both sides, the truth of the matter is that they both run CAD well.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2012
63 posts
5 upvotes
North York
sergebr wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 2:45 pm
I would buy the one year warranty since any hardware problems are usually found in the first year. I also would recommend a stronger battery (say 9 or 12 cell) since a 6 cell is usually good for 3 hours of continuous use.
I see, thanks a lot! :) Had a 12 cell battery on x200 tablet that lasts only 3 hours though......
[OP]
Dec 5, 2012
63 posts
5 upvotes
North York
Damed wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 2:51 pm
Funny you should mention.

I bought the laptop for just that purpose (Autocad 2013). There is much discussion as to whether these 2GB 650m graphics are better than/as good as the quadro series. While there are arguments for both sides, the truth of the matter is that they both run CAD well.
I've always wondered what exactly is the difference between the two? And if not gaming at all, which is better?
× < >