Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
2821 posts
517 upvotes
edecho16 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 3:09 pm
I've always wondered what exactly is the difference between the two? And if not gaming at all, which is better?
Geforce series = designed with gaming/consumer use in mind

Quadro series = designed with graphics/CAD/3D/etc work stuff in mind. So much so that there are usually Nvidia released "tweaked" drivers for different things (like Autocad specific). Historically, these cards have not been very good for gaming, but are great for CAD.

Over the last couple years, the line has become a little more blurred. While the names (and some tech) still separate the 2, the Geforce series (thanks a lot to driver advancements) actually do pretty well in CAD.

So the answer, (to me) is:

If it is strictly a workstation for CAD/Graphic design, etc - Quadro still wins.
If it is a gaming/personal machine, Geforce wins.

If you want a balance of the 2, Geforce wins.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2012
63 posts
5 upvotes
North York
Damed wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 3:15 pm
Geforce series = designed with gaming/consumer use in mind

Quadro series = designed with graphics/CAD/3D/etc work stuff in mind. So much so that there are usually Nvidia released "tweaked" drivers for different things (like Autocad specific). Historically, these cards have not been very good for gaming, but are great for CAD.

Over the last couple years, the line has become a little more blurred. While the names (and some tech) still separate the 2, the Geforce series (thanks a lot to driver advancements) actually do pretty well in CAD.

So the answer, (to me) is:

If it is strictly a workstation for CAD/Graphic design, etc - Quadro still wins.
If it is a gaming/personal machine, Geforce wins.

If you want a balance of the 2, Geforce wins.
Fair enough :)
Jan 10, 2006
822 posts
47 upvotes
The 15.6'' with 1080p, i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, GT 650M 2GB looks ridiculously tempting, can't find anything near that in stores. I'm looking for 14'' though, 1366x768 screen with no option to upgrade :'(
Heatware
100% BST Feedback
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2200 posts
451 upvotes
Lethbridge
edecho16 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 1:36 pm
Well honestly I really wanted to get Dell at first, but it's just that they use AMD video cards in most models and their prices are so strict.
Sorry, misread that as processors - I will agree, the Dell video card "upgrade" options are pretty terrible. They seem to only offer low-mid grade cards for their general consumer lappys & if you want something better you have to pay through your nose for something like the Alienware/XPS.
edecho16 wrote:
So this sale has been going on for a while? Actually didn't notice until just now :o
Since Black Friday on the 23rd, yes.
edecho16 wrote:
And what's up with the international keyboards?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout
Just not a standard normal keyboard setup - It has some "half" buttons & a few items re-arranged to accomodate other characters.

What I meant to say is it's a decent price on a decent laptop. You could do worse by buying something else. With a mid-level video card and top-tier processor it would be alot more future proof than other models as well. Both models are good (with the 15" having the 1080p screen & the 14" being cheaper without) As other have said, you will not find one with equal specs in store for less than $1000.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2012
63 posts
5 upvotes
North York
Pauly Boy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 3:54 pm
Sorry, misread that as processors - I will agree, the Dell video card "upgrade" options are pretty terrible. They seem to only offer low-mid grade cards for their general consumer lappys & if you want something better you have to pay through your nose for something like the Alienware/XPS.

Since Black Friday on the 23rd, yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout
Just not a standard normal keyboard setup - It has some "half" buttons & a few items re-arranged to accomodate other characters.

What I meant to say is it's a decent price on a decent laptop. You could do worse by buying something else. With a mid-level video card and top-tier processor it would be alot more future proof than other models as well. Both models are good (with the 15" having the 1080p screen & the 14" being cheaper without) As other have said, you will not find one with equal specs in store for less than $1000.
Yes Alienware/XPS these are incredibly expensive! :evil:

I checked the keyboard layout you said while I don't own one with such keyboard, I did use my friend's HP and I hated that weird shaped enter key! But other than that, haven't noticed much since I haven't been using it too often.

I see, fair enough, however for you would you pay an extra $100 to get the FHD screen? And does 14" come with the number pad?
[OP]
Dec 5, 2012
63 posts
5 upvotes
North York
Sundin wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 3:45 pm
The 15.6'' with 1080p, i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, GT 650M 2GB looks ridiculously tempting, can't find anything near that in stores. I'm looking for 14'' though, 1366x768 screen with no option to upgrade :'(
Hi is it really that much difference on a 14" screen?
Deal Addict
May 20, 2004
2480 posts
199 upvotes
Calgary
Darn good price for a 1080p gaming laptop with a 650m - and the fact you can add an SLI module in the ultrabay is really sweet. That should put performance inline with much bigger gaming laptops. 2x 384 core kepler in a 15" laptop is pretty cool.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1768 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
gave in to the temptation and ordered the Y400. Expected shipping date is the 24th. Hope I don't get it too long after that.
© 2015
Jan 10, 2006
822 posts
47 upvotes
edecho16 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 4:55 pm
Hi is it really that much difference on a 14" screen?
720p on 14'' will look alright, it's just that it feels so last gen when we're already seeing screens exceeding 1080p (see Apple's Retina). If you're an average user don't worry you likely won't complain about it, but if you want to stay as current as possible go for the 15.6'' w/ 1080p. Gaming will look better at higher resolutions plus you'll see clearer text and have more screen real estate when web browsing.
Heatware
100% BST Feedback
Jun 22, 2007
827 posts
140 upvotes
London, ON
I ordered the 15'6 laptop for $849 with the 1080p screen last night after mulling about it for a while. Went thru GCR for a 5.25% rebate as well. I'm hoping that it will run FSX reasonably so I can waste a few hours flying planes :D
[OP]
Dec 5, 2012
63 posts
5 upvotes
North York
Sundin wrote:
Dec 10th, 2012 1:01 am
720p on 14'' will look alright, it's just that it feels so last gen when we're already seeing screens exceeding 1080p (see Apple's Retina). If you're an average user don't worry you likely won't complain about it, but if you want to stay as current as possible go for the 15.6'' w/ 1080p. Gaming will look better at higher resolutions plus you'll see clearer text and have more screen real estate when web browsing.
Sounds good, thanks :)
Jun 8, 2012
9 posts
Markham
Do you guys think I'll get a better deal on boxing day or should I order this now? Also can anyone comment on the keyboard and battery life?
Dec 28, 2006
517 posts
66 upvotes
davethegr8 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2012 11:50 pm
I ordered the 15'6 laptop for $849 with the 1080p screen last night after mulling about it for a while. Went thru GCR for a 5.25% rebate as well. I'm hoping that it will run FSX reasonably so I can waste a few hours flying planes :D
Where are you guys seeing the price at $849??
I see $949 for 15.6" 1080p w SSD
Jun 22, 2007
827 posts
140 upvotes
London, ON
swaghunter wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 12:02 pm
Where are you guys seeing the price at $849??
I see $949 for 15.6" 1080p w SSD
Not there anymore. Looks like the $849 deal is dead.
× < >