Automotive

401 Westbound Express, Before DVP - The Newly Paved Road, Anyone Drive It?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2018 1:15 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14957 posts
1916 upvotes
Toronto

401 Westbound Express, Before DVP - The Newly Paved Road, Anyone Drive It?

So this is kind of ridiculous to post about on RFD but I mean, I'm not on Reddit lol ...

401 Westbound, Express, right around Victoria Park and the Don Valley Parkway and a bit further recently got re-paved ... anyone drive on it yet?

This road is awful! You can actually SEE the ripples in the road. I really hope they aren't done and another layer has to go on it, but I'm afraid that this is it.

I haven't been on a stretch of highway in the GTA this bad in a bit. It just shakes the crap out of your car, which on a highway is unusual. Other than pot holes, the actual road is fairly consistant.

Anyone else notice this?
RedFlagDeals addict
25 replies
Jan 30, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes
LOL the 401 is a joke they are paving just in time for winter the exact time when new potholes will develop. Government mismanagement of taxpayer dollars at it's finest!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7359 posts
1178 upvotes
between Kennedy and DVP? Does feel like crap.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14957 posts
1916 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 11:26 am
between Kennedy and DVP? Does feel like crap.
Yes. It's been unpaved for weeks. Anyone who daily drives the 401 will know what I'm talking about.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1699 posts
856 upvotes
Markham
Yep, drive that stretch pretty much daily I can confirm the job as far as what you feel from the car, currently sucks.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1217 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
Can confirm terrible paving job. It’s like driving over mini speed bumps lol

Honestly thought they would do a better job considering the amount of effort they put in to repair the layer underneath the asphalt
Dec 7, 2009
240 posts
96 upvotes
burbs
It has to be a base layer. The top coat(s) will be done before the snow flies which should be smooth. The MTO has very strict final inspections before the contractor is paid.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12126 posts
1920 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ManInTheBurbs wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 2:05 pm
It has to be a base layer. The top coat(s) will be done before the snow flies which should be smooth. The MTO has very strict final inspections before the contractor is paid.
Tell that to Highway 7 west of Leslie where the "highway" part starts. Efficiency at its finest folks.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10133 posts
1477 upvotes
Toronto
That's not 'final'. You'll notice it much much smoother when it's final. Not sure why they leave it like that for so long. More chance of flat tire n stuff.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2051 posts
1132 upvotes
Toronto
Wasn't that just paved last year?
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1236 posts
209 upvotes
some1not wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 6:27 am
Ya but every year you got to blow the budget or the following year they could claw back the budget. What's funny is there supposed to put 5 lanes going through oshawa whitby and that pavement is getting done now to so there goes that change anytime soon.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1217 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
some1not wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 6:27 am
It was a mine field in that section during winter. The amount of pot holes you have to dodge there I can see why they decided to repave this year.

With the ripples in the road chances are the plows will destroy it this winter too though.
Aug 22, 2011
51 posts
10 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Can anyone explain why they just don't use cement like the 407? I know it's louder, but with the harsh winters we have, I feel like it's a waste of money constantly having to repave every year
May 5, 2016
424 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
Flipping terrible. I now take the 407 when I need to go from Durham to North York. Weird that they've taken so long to fully repave that section. Worst case scenario, probably have to wait for another year for the finished product... Last Summer, Markham only left the base layer on Warden (between Steeles and 14th Ave) and Woodbine (407 to Highway 7). They've left it until mid-May to fully repave those sections. Those sections were absolutely disgusting.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14957 posts
1916 upvotes
Toronto
NTWKid wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 9:56 pm
Can anyone explain why they just don't use cement like the 407? I know it's louder, but with the harsh winters we have, I feel like it's a waste of money constantly having to repave every year
Likely cost at the time of laying it. No long term thoughts.
RedFlagDeals addict

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)