Personal Finance

407 ETR bill arrives for 10 year old trip???

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2013 3:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
46 upvotes

407 ETR bill arrives for 10 year old trip???

My wife and I have been 407 ETR users for a decade. When we moved from London Ontario to Orangeville, Ontario, we signed up for transponders and have received a monthly bill ever since and have paid it without fail, on time.

Today, a bill for $327 arrived for 4 trips taken in August of 1999, just before we moved. The total of the original bill was $17.69. Apparently, this bill has been sent to our old address in London, Ontario for the last 9.5 years, and has accumulated interest to the tune of $327.

We kept them informed of our address as we had to give it when we picked up the transponders. The bill for $327 is for a license plate we disposed of in September 1999. They say the bill has been in collections since 2002. Are we not entitled to assume that when you provide the 407 with your new address they will forward your bills to it? What actually happened is they opened a new account with the transponders and never updated the old one, sending bills to London. Any one have any advice on how to resolve this? Is there no limitation period on collecting debts?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
This was their screw up. They were supposed to automatically transfer all the details they have on file for you from the old account to the new one as when you leased/purchased the new transponders they've obviously been notified of a new billing address. Back in 1999 their billing system was just a mess and stories like yours were not uncommon. Obviously the old bill reached you now. It should have reached you back in 1999! Hence, further proof that the screw up was on their part. The least they can do is waive all the interest penalties.

Ever since they petitioned the province to re-instate plate denial, they are busy going through their old archives to see who owes them money. They figure that with all the interest they can charge for all these years, it will be a bonanza for them now that they can hold people by the balls with plate denial.

I would say try to see where you get with them, possibly speak to a supervisor. If all else fails, try sending an email to Ellen Roseman of the Toronto Star.
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
-
No wonder these guys have not sent me the bill for 3 short trips I took about 2 years ago, they want to see them balloon to $300 before they send them to me?

BTW, so when the bill was $17 they failed to find your new address, but now that's $300 they found you? :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3353 posts
396 upvotes
Valleywood
OP, hope you don't have to renew plates anytime soon.

And this is from their own website (link here) ...

"Notice of Failure To Pay"

As outlined in the Act, if a 407 ETR bill is outstanding for 35 days, a Notice of Failure to Pay can be sent to the customer. 407 ETR must send a Notice of Failure to Pay to the customer’s address listed in the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) database. Upon receipt of a Notice of Failure to Pay, a customer may pay their bill and/or send a Notice of Dispute within 30 days listing one or more of the permitted grounds for dispute set out in the Act.

If you can prove that the MTO records had your correct address at all times, both prior to and after your move, then per the Highway 407 Act they failed to deliver the Notice of Failure to Pay to your correct address as per the MTO database. Case closed!
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
fastlayne wrote:
Mar 31st, 2009 8:09 pm
OP, hope you don't have to renew plates anytime soon.
Why is the province the enforcer of a private corporation's deadbeats? I thought the owners of the 407 ETR was a totally private company, the highway was sold to them by the government.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
3359 posts
163 upvotes
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote:
Mar 31st, 2009 8:00 pm
-
No wonder these guys have not sent me the bill for 3 short trips I took about 2 years ago, they want to see them balloon to $300 before they send them to me?

BTW, so when the bill was $17 they failed to find your new address, but now that's $300 they found you? :rolleyes:
Actually they said it went to collections 2002, so the owners of the 407 are not involved anymore. :rolleyes:

OP - Did nothing ever show up on your credit reports?
[OP]
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
46 upvotes
Nothing ever showed up on my credit reports, and we just re did our mortgage last week. Since 2002, we have signed two mortgages, and purchased 4 cars. So I don't know what gives here.
When the trips were taken, we weren't married, so the original bill was under my wife's maiden name. When we picked up the transponders after our move, we gave them our current address, but my wife kept the bills in here maiden name. She changed the name on the billing only after we went with automated payments since the bill had to match the name on her credit card, which had her married name. This was in 2004. The bill that arrived today, had her married name, not her maiden name that would have been on the original bill in 1999.

In any case, we have received current bills at our current address for years. I found one tonight from 2002. Anyone know if this can be straightened out by talking to them, or do you have to go through the whole dispute process?
Mar 23, 2004
35778 posts
3088 upvotes
Markham
call the 407 ombudsmen. You have a case imo.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Dec 28, 2008
590 posts
110 upvotes
Rural Ontario
jonmar wrote:
Mar 31st, 2009 8:46 pm
In any case, we have received current bills at our current address for years. I found one tonight from 2002. Anyone know if this can be straightened out by talking to them, or do you have to go through the whole dispute process?
Give their customer service a shout. The same sort of thing happened to me recently but with my company vehicle. Seems they were sending bills to a former employee from 5 yrs ago and interest kept being accrued because the former employee no doubt just threw the bills in the garbage! I didn't find this out until I went to renew the plates and voila...denied until bill was paid. I called them to discuss and they waived the interest charges but I still had to cough up the original $7.32 (which ballooned to nearly $200 from the interest and other account fees).

I have a transponder that is linked to the car license plate but for some reason, their "system" didn't show my address linked to the license plate, they still had the previous employee!

The one thing that irritated me was that they claim that "sometimes the transponders don't register" so they send a bill to whatever address they have on file.....so I double checked some of my past bills (compared to the copies they sent me of the ones that went to the former employee), sure enough some trips were logged twice! Once on a bill that said the transponder recorded and then on a completely separate bill that said the transponder didn't work. My suggestion to watch your bills very carefully for this "mistake".

I used to take 407 quite a bit. The new fees and this recent tom-foolery have made me think twice and not use it since.
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
jcon wrote:
Mar 31st, 2009 8:19 pm
Actually they said it went to collections 2002, so the owners of the 407 are not involved anymore. :rolleyes:
So why should he worry about renewing his plates then? Last time I remember, the MTO did not forced people to pay debts owed to collection agencies.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1783 posts
98 upvotes
we don't use the 407... but one time my wife misread a sign on the 404 and took the highway for 1 exit....

later that month we got a bill for like $15... $.25 for the toll... the rest for their various fees.... I called to complain and see if they would eat it but they said no....

so I took a cheque for part of it... a $5 bill... and 25 pennies taped to the bill... the cheque was stapled about 250 times to the invoice. I used to work in a cash office so I know that even though they may have got my $15... it cost them more than that in manpower to cash it.

also - they once kept sending my bill to an old address.. when I finally found out (picked up mail from old landlord)... I called them to say WTF.. you guys get access to my MTO records.. so you should have looked into it.... I ended up agreeing to pay the original bill but no interest.. they wrote that part off.. you should try that if you can't get them to drop the issue... On the other hand... after so many years I would tell them to go to hell.
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
mcewen wrote:
Mar 31st, 2009 10:41 pm
we don't use the 407... but one time my wife misread a sign on the 404 and took the highway for 1 exit....

later that month we got a bill for like $15... $.25 for the toll... the rest for their various fees.... I called to complain and see if they would eat it but they said no....

so I took a cheque for part of it... a $5 bill... and 25 pennies taped to the bill... the cheque was stapled about 250 times to the invoice. I used to work in a cash office so I know that even though they may have got my $15... it cost them more than that in manpower to cash it.

also - they once kept sending my bill to an old address.. when I finally found out (picked up mail from old landlord)... I called them to say WTF.. you guys get access to my MTO records.. so you should have looked into it.... I ended up agreeing to pay the original bill but no interest.. they wrote that part off.. you should try that if you can't get them to drop the issue... On the other hand... after so many years I would tell them to go to hell.
What's hard to swallow about all of this is that this highway was built with our tax money and then it was sold to a private company that resembles the twin sister of Bell Mobility in its greediness. Too bad nobody would heed a boycott if one was ever called up.
Dec 2, 2010
196 posts
Ajax, Ontario
Can you believe that this conversation is still happening today? And because I still speak out about this and want change in the system I am being called blind, stubborn, ignorant, ect... go figure. I am so glad that the majority of us still have moral fiber in our society.

It's time for change in how government and the 407 ETR operates!
We must stop abuses of power of all forms no matter how big or small. http://407etr-abuseofpower.com/about/
If I am spam, a shill, a troll, obsessed or any other negative word... What does that make the people who respond to me?
I haz typos & spelling errors & you are my enabler :)
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
40 upvotes
TammyFlores wrote:
Apr 21st, 2011 7:14 am
Can you believe that this conversation is still happening today? And because I still speak out about this and want change in the system I am being called blind, stubborn, ignorant, ect... go figure. I am so glad that the majority of us still have moral fiber in our society.

How should the highway change? Should the government take it over? Think about it, the government will screw it up, charge more tolls, not invest in the highway (the private owners constantly expand and widen the road) and traffic congestion will increase ( see hwy 401 or dvp for how govt runs a highway).
Yes the tolls are high, but it they were lower, the highway would be congested.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2400 posts
220 upvotes
TammyFlores wrote:
Apr 21st, 2011 7:14 am

Derailing other threads and now dig up a 2 year old one :facepalm:
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove