• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2020 8:13 pm
[OP]
Mar 24, 2012
124 posts
49 upvotes
Etobicoke

407 ETR unlimited use during certain periods $59.99 YMMV

Received an email for this offer, cant post the link as it is attached to my account:

Offer Period: March 1, 2020 -
April 30, 2020
Eligible Times:
(Excluding Ontario statutory holidays)

7:00 am to 9:00 am &
3:30 pm to 6:00 pm
(Unlimited driving applies to trips that enter Highway 407 ETR during Eligible Times noted above)
71 replies
Oct 9, 2010
634 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Cold, you just need a new Ontario license plate
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2005
1432 posts
1003 upvotes
Canada's South Coast
in 1999, Ontario conservatives passed Bill 70 which allowed for privatization of the 407 which was a taxpayer funded asset for $3.1 Billion. It is now estimated to be worth over $30 Billion and is owned by a foreign entity raking in all the revenue....thank you mike harris Angry Face

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/worst-de ... 42680.html
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2047 posts
417 upvotes
montward wrote: in 1999, Ontario conservatives passed Bill 70 which allowed for privatization of the 407 which was a taxpayer funded asset for $3.1 Billion. It is now estimated to be worth over $30 Billion and is owned by a foreign entity raking in all the revenue....thank you mike harris Angry Face

Present value includes value of private capital invested to build and expand the highway to its maximum width plus a substantial amount of inflation. If you’re trying to argue it was an imprudent asset sale in 1999, then you need to compare the $3.1 billion figure to what you think the true value of the asset was in 1999.

Put another way, does it make sense to compare the sale price of a bungalow sold in 1999 to the current market value of a mansion that was built to replace the bungalow?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1986 posts
441 upvotes
Kitchener
drunkgoat wrote: Present value includes value of private capital invested to build and expand the highway to its maximum width plus a substantial amount of inflation. If you’re trying to argue it was an imprudent asset sale in 1999, then you need to compare the $3.1 billion figure to what you think the true value of the asset was in 1999.

Put another way, does it make sense to compare the sale price of a bungalow sold in 1999 to the current market value of a mansion that was built to replace the bungalow?
No, bit it makes sense to remember Mike Harris as the one who sold it for a song and gave up any say the Ontario Government had in the charges, or increases that the new owners could impose........thanks a lot mike.
Feb 20, 2019
27 posts
40 upvotes
montward wrote: in 1999, Ontario conservatives passed Bill 70 which allowed for privatization of the 407 which was a taxpayer funded asset for $3.1 Billion. It is now estimated to be worth over $30 Billion and is owned by a foreign entity raking in all the revenue....thank you mike harris Angry Face

cons cant ever be trusted after this bullshit. we should never be selling a public good 100%
Feb 21, 2020
1 posts
I didn't get any email regarding this! Do I need to have pre-authorized payment to get any promotion?
Jun 13, 2004
238 posts
79 upvotes
Boycott the 407. They are price gouging.
Nov 20, 2013
12 posts
10 upvotes
[/quote]
cons cant ever be trusted after this bullshit. we should never be selling a public good 100%[/quote]

Didn't Wynne sell off Hydro?
Jan 30, 2006
59 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
People also ask
What is the most expensive toll road in the world?
The 407 ETR maybe one of the most expensive toll roads in the world but it is a Godsend where my patience with cheap Ontario drivers is concerned.Apr 28, 2018
cons cant ever be trusted after this bullshit. we should never be selling a public good 100%[/quote]

[/quote]
Sep 4, 2015
224 posts
180 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
etrex wrote: People also ask
What is the most expensive toll road in the world?
The 407 ETR maybe one of the most expensive toll roads in the world but it is a Godsend where my patience with cheap Ontario drivers is concerned.Apr 28, 2018
cons cant ever be trusted after this bullshit. we should never be selling a public good 100%
[/quote][/quote]

Yeah her administration sold 53%
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1986 posts
441 upvotes
Kitchener
canadianclub wrote: Didn't Wynne sell off Hydro?
[/quote]

Yeah her administration sold 53%
[/quote]

Hmmm, as I recall, the reason was that the infrastructure hadn't been rejuvenated, or properly maintained for many, many years under different governments and the bill to bring it up to specs was "Enormous". It was a way to rebuild and not give the baby away with the bathwater. Unlike harris, who sold it all, at a loss, to bring in short term $. Also, wrt Hydro, it was sold via stock participation so that in theory, the public/private investors could also participate through the now publicly traded company. A bit off topic, anyone know which of the conservative buddy/supporter got the contract for the messed up Ontario licence plates, and how much will the public now be on the hook for wrt the cancelled contract and "New" plates.

Gotta make those cuts to pay for profits and blunders by our current government here in Ontario. Please feel free to correct if I'm suffering from a "Seniors" moment.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2005
1432 posts
1003 upvotes
Canada's South Coast
drunkgoat wrote: Present value includes value of private capital invested to build and expand the highway to its maximum width plus a substantial amount of inflation. If you’re trying to argue it was an imprudent asset sale in 1999, then you need to compare the $3.1 billion figure to what you think the true value of the asset was in 1999.

drunkgoat...put another way, why was a taxpayer funded asset even SOLD off for a song and dance to begin with...not to mention selling off a "cash cow" taxpayer-funded asset that brings in over $1BILLION dollars a year...which all could have help fund our roads, healthcare, education etc. in Ontario......a fairly simple concept to understand really.

Someone had a huge silver platter handed to them and got some big favors on top of it in that shady and corrupt deal and it certainly wasn't the taxpayers of Ontario! Thanks mike harris and conservatives! Angry Face
Last edited by montward on Feb 23rd, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 15, 2008
14 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
I agree this highway is a joke, and the biggest ripoff! That being said I would still take advantage of this promo, as I live right off it, and it would make my commute better. My problem is that I never get this or any other offer. I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me who I need to sleep with to get on these offer lists.