Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2235 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto

40D now or later?

Seeing that the 50D is being released I've decided its about time to pickup a 40D. My dilema is this.

1. Buy new by PMing at Blacks and utilizing their 60day price protection for when the 50D actually comes out so that I can take advantage of the 40Ds prices as they drop.

2. Buy it used for about $250-$300 lower than retail and risk not having the warranty and not being able to price adjust.

What to do what to do =S

I figure the 40D will be phased out quickly as the 50D comes out on the shelves.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
definitely buy it used once the 50D comes out. Used prices will drop once the market gets flooded with 40Ds
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3411 posts
73 upvotes
I got lucky and bought a used 40d + 17-85 IS for $950. Then I sold the lens for $350..

.. Minty crisp sub 1 year 40d for $600 :cheesygri :cheesygri

I think buying now or later doesn't matter, but I would try to get used body for like $700 which is decent price. If not just wait -- although I don't think the market will be 'flooded' as people claim. 50D has some nice upgrades, but really 40D is still pretty awesome crop camera, with fast shooting.
Dec 8, 2007
232 posts
1 upvote
adblink182 wrote: definitely buy it used once the 50D comes out. Used prices will drop once the market gets flooded with 40Ds
How so? The improvements to the 50D aren't significant enough to justify dumping a 40D on the market and paying for essentially the same camera, with a crappy kit lens, making oneself $500 poorer in the process.

No, I'm quite sure that a lot of people will be hanging onto their 40Ds for a while.

The only thing that will put downward pressure on the price of the 40D is eventual price cuts to the 50D. Prices today for the 40D are already considerably lower than they were back in April, and I don't expect them to fall much more.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
ryan_lau100 wrote: Seeing that the 50D is being released I've decided its about time to pickup a 40D. My dilema is this.

1. Buy new by PMing at Blacks and utilizing their 60day price protection for when the 50D actually comes out so that I can take advantage of the 40Ds prices as they drop.

2. Buy it used for about $250-$300 lower than retail and risk not having the warranty and not being able to price adjust.

What to do what to do =S

I figure the 40D will be phased out quickly as the 50D comes out on the shelves.
I vote for you not to buy another camera at all, and just get some more nice glass!
heatware available upon request
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Once a gearhead, always a gearhead.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
Pandamonium wrote: How so? The improvements to the 50D aren't significant enough to justify dumping a 40D on the market and paying for essentially the same camera, with a crappy kit lens, making oneself $500 poorer in the process.

No, I'm quite sure that a lot of people will be hanging onto their 40Ds for a while.

The only thing that will put downward pressure on the price of the 40D is eventual price cuts to the 50D. Prices today for the 40D are already considerably lower than they were back in April, and I don't expect them to fall much more.

the 50D is what the 40D was suppose to be. There is enough of a reason to upgrade. People will sell their 40Ds I bet my life on it you watch
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
Just to put my 2 cents in. I won't sell my 40d to get a 50d. I don't consider such a big improvement to make the jump. The only improvement I like from the 50d is the UDMA support. Plus its not that important to me, but it does make a big speed improvement when transferring raw files to your computer. However, my external UDMA CF card reader will suffice for now.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1950 posts
5 upvotes
Buy used.
It's the cheapest way to go right now.

Later will always be cheaper (obviously), but how long are you willing to wait, and how long are you able to go on without a 40D?