Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Public Mobile

$42 ($40 with AutoPay) 4GB Province wide calling for existing Freedom Mobile Customers

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2017 2:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD, THE DEAL EXPIRED TWO DAYS AGO.
Oct 1, 2008
150 posts
70 upvotes
Is this deal alive? I don't see anything on Public mobiles website.
Dec 24, 2006
346 posts
304 upvotes
Vancouver
How can they tell who ordered it before? Is there a place for the order number?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
cataclyst wrote: I'm guessing they know which SIM cards were ordered during the eligible time window.
They go by order number which they can trace.
Jan 10, 2007
201 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary
Does Telus throttle anything for Public Mobile customers? I noticed recently that two phones beside each other, one on Telus and one on Public Mobile had very different experiences in a low reception area.
May 13, 2014
765 posts
450 upvotes
Vancouver
will888 wrote: They go by order number which they can trace.
I wonder how they'll handle people who bought SIM cards from Walmart or WOW though - will they ask people to scan and email their receipt?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
wearysky wrote: Shrug - I don't claim to know how they separate their business units internally... But at the very least they appear to have separate support and marketing deparments, not to mention IT (because if Telus was giving them full access to their full resources for IT, their self service portal wouldn't have trivially easy to fix bugs sitting around for well over 6 months). It's not an unfair assumption, IMO, to think they are running as at least a semi-autonomous unit.
True, their self service portal would have trivially easy to fix bugs sitting around for years instead.
Jan 7, 2017
270 posts
289 upvotes
Hamilton
Big Daddy G wrote: Does Telus throttle anything for Public Mobile customers? I noticed recently that two phones beside each other, one on Telus and one on Public Mobile had very different experiences in a low reception area.
I doubt it. When debating corporate conspiracies, ask: "does this make or save the company enough money to justify the cost of implementing this scheme?" If they're going to setup complex throttling mechanisms for their customers, it better have a clear mechanism to profit or it probably doesn't exist.
Freedom Mobile - Promo Everywhere 50 : 8 GB LTE + 1 GB Roaming USA/CAN
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
Raident wrote: I wonder how they'll handle people who bought SIM cards from Walmart or WOW though - will they ask people to scan and email their receipt?
Not sure how they will handle this. In the past, the grace they offered for online SIM orders was for lag time in receiving the shipment. No such excuse when buying from the store. I guess you pays your money, you takes your chances.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
Big Daddy G wrote: Does Telus throttle anything for Public Mobile customers? I noticed recently that two phones beside each other, one on Telus and one on Public Mobile had very different experiences in a low reception area.
There is conspiracy theories out there, but no proven evidence.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
differing wrote: I doubt it. When debating corporate conspiracies, ask: "does this make or save the company enough money to justify the cost of implementing this scheme?" If they're going to setup complex throttling mechanisms for their customers, it better have a clear mechanism to profit or it probably doesn't exist.
Throttling is cheap, it is just a few clicks of the mouse button to do it. Public Mobile is currently offering LTE plans with throttled 3G speed, 2.5 mbits maximum. They are doing this to make their full LTE speed plans look more valuable. If this was expensive they won't do it. The cost of this setup is nothing.

The scalability of the network does not end with controlling speed. A couple of weeks ago, somebody turned off tethering by mistake and every customer at Public Mobile was unable to tether. I put in a ticket and a Telus tech called me and we did troubleshooting over the phone to see what was causing the issue. He found the problem to be a tethering related setting that was turned off by mistake. He turned it back on and everything was working right away.
Nov 13, 2016
457 posts
652 upvotes
Ontario
If you have some time to read, Here is an interesting thread for you to read
https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/80631
Still being robbed by Canada's Telecos.
Looking forward to dotmobile.
Aug 11, 2008
50 posts
1 upvote
London
Hi there,

How long does it usually take to get my 12gb? I signed up thursday and still says 400mb on my account.

Thanks,

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)