• May 29th, 2017 10:43 pm
[OP]
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON

43 states in US still allow practice of gay conversion therapy

Wow..shocking how far behind US is on this...the religious crazies got to go with their persecution of gays and other minorities in that country!

And these people who force conversion therapy on minors call other countries bad for "sharia" law yet they do the samething

http://www.metroweekly.com/2017/05/neva ... n-therapy/
115 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14533 posts
1085 upvotes
Toronto
People just want to exercise their religiosity. If you can't have it one way morons should be able to either. equal rights!
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3650 posts
456 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:40 am
Wow..shocking how far behind US is on this...the religious crazies got to go with their persecution of gays and other minorities in that country!

And these people who force conversion therapy on minors call other countries bad for "sharia" law yet they do the samething

LOL ... :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
348 upvotes
Conversion therapy for minors may be wrong but I wonder why conversion therapy for trans minors is not considered wrong?
Also I wonder how the new laws targeting the so called gender fluidity will affect this. The new social/legal theories seem to imply the gender is a social construct, which can be changed/assigned at will, not a biological one. But in this case conversion therapies will appear as legitimate as any other medical/psychological therapy
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3650 posts
456 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:

so that's the worst you could find ? ... try to google "LGBT and sharia law" ... (and nobody calls this "US/religion" a religion of peace ...)
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14181 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto
Doubleshot wrote:

Are you really surprised? It's not socially acceptable to send the natives away to religious torture school anymore, so now they're focusing on those with alternate orientations.

The US has a lot of values in common with the Saudis since both countries were founded by what were essentially the ISIS marauders of their day, who butchered or converted all the natives and then spent a long time burning people at the stake and enslaving others. The only difference is the US also had large-scale immigration from people with no attachment to religion who dragged them kicking and screaming into modernity. It's always a back-and-forth fight between the fanatical and progressive contingents in their society. Canada too, but we just blindly follow the US on most things.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16444 posts
1763 upvotes
Montreal
Piro21 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:50 am
Are you really surprised? It's not socially acceptable to send the natives away to religious torture school anymore, so now they're focusing on those with alternate orientations.

The US has a lot of values in common with the Saudis since both countries were founded by what were essentially the ISIS marauders of their day, who butchered or converted all the natives and then spent a long time burning people at the stake and enslaving others. The only difference is the US also had large-scale immigration from people with no attachment to religion who dragged them kicking and screaming into modernity. It's always a back-and-forth fight between the fanatical and progressive contingents in their society. Canada too, but we just blindly follow the US on most things.
In defence of the US, large scale conversions and genocide were mainstream during European colonisation. The Spanish, Portuguese and french were no better. As a matter of fact, civilising savages was the path to paradise. The difference now is that ISIS is considered an aberration.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5966 posts
221 upvotes
If gender and sexuality are fluid then what's wrong with conversion therapy?

I completely disagree with conversion therapy but you can't say that gender and sexuality are fluid and then claim that sexuality is innate when it comes to homosexual people. Either it's fluid and can change or it's innate and can't. You can't have it all ways (unless you're bi ;) )
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
43 states isn't all. it should be done everywhere in the US
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4787 posts
349 upvotes
Minors aside (which are their parents' responsibility and should be part of the child abuse law), I don't see what's wrong with having such option for willing adults. Medical professionals should be free to say this thing is stupid, but if there are people who want to do it, why not?
arm2000 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:56 am
Conversion therapy for minors may be wrong but I wonder why conversion therapy for trans minors is not considered wrong?
Also I wonder how the new laws targeting the so called gender fluidity will affect this. The new social/legal theories seem to imply the gender is a social construct, which can be changed/assigned at will, not a biological one. But in this case conversion therapies will appear as legitimate as any other medical/psychological therapy
Gender and sex orientation are not the same. Even if gender is fluid (I am not saying it is), sex orientation may not be (I am not saying it's not).

The bigger question is why do we care. It's a personal thing, not the society's business.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16444 posts
1763 upvotes
Montreal
Archanfel wrote:
May 20th, 2017 6:50 am

The bigger question is why do we care. It's a personal thing, not the society's business.
We care because the list of the things we can bash the left with is pretty short. When we find something, we grab onto it and beat it to death every chance we get.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4787 posts
349 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
May 21st, 2017 9:22 pm
We care because the list of the things we can bash the left with is pretty short. When we find something, we grab onto it and beat it to death every chance we get.
I meant why does either the left or the right care. It's a personal decision. Same thing with marriage. Why does anybody care who can marry whom? Society should neither define marriage nor provide tax incentive/disincentive for marriage. If somebody wants to marry a tree or a hundred wives, as long as there is no coercion involved, why should anybody care?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16444 posts
1763 upvotes
Montreal
Archanfel wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 7:01 am
I meant why does either the left or the right care. It's a personal decision. Same thing with marriage. Why does anybody care who can marry whom? Society should neither define marriage nor provide tax incentive/disincentive for marriage. If somebody wants to marry a tree or a hundred wives, as long as there is no coercion involved, why should anybody care?
Because the belief is that gay and transgender rights can only lead to one natural conclusion, bestiality and pedophilia. Go dig up the responses on the " alt left" and see the paranoia.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
3674 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
picard12 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 7:44 pm
43 states isn't all. it should be done everywhere in the US
torontocityboy wrote:
May 19th, 2017 7:48 pm
+1
Why?