Travel

48 hour flight delay for honeymoon, didn't get to final destination, paid out of pocket. Advice needed.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2019 12:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
1078 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto

48 hour flight delay for honeymoon, didn't get to final destination, paid out of pocket. Advice needed.

Hello, long story short, we experienced a 48 hour flight delay due to a myriad of factors. Coles notes is this:

-Our flight from YYZ was delayed for 4 hours, causing us to miss our connecting flight to HND (Tokyo) at ORD.
-Delay was due to mechanical issue with aircraft (deemed at fault for UA)
-Couldn't get another flight arranged until 4 days later due to typhoon Hagibis
-Flew to Korea and paid out of pocket to get to final destination
-Spoke with United Customer care, currently offered $700 for both of us
-Incurred close to $1000CAD in expenses (hotels, connecting flights within Japan, car rental) minus grievance

Currently offered $700 in travel vouchers ($350 each for my wife and I) with UA after 2 attempts. But honestly, I won't fly UA again after this. How do I push further?
15 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33807 posts
7750 upvotes
Ottawa
You went to Korea instead of Japan? Sounds like you changed your entire itinerary? I htink that takes it out of the original plan and itinerary. You made the changes.
Weather is out of the control of the airlines. No compensation for that.
I don't think UA is to blame for your itinerary change and definitely not the weather..

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/tr ... ights.html
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8185 posts
2120 upvotes
Mississauga
Did you have travel insurance? Your flight to HND would've been delayed regardless due to the typhoon. Why did you need a car rental?
Last edited by Raggie on Oct 20th, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2449 posts
924 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
There's not much scope for compensation unfortunately. If you were flying an EU airline that had the mechanical defect, you wold have some coverage.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11570 posts
6391 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
This is why I prefer direct flights, saving couple of hundred dollars might seem good but not worth the hassle.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 24, 2007
981 posts
956 upvotes
BC
forevergone wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 6:38 am
Currently offered $700 in travel vouchers ($350 each for my wife and I) with UA after 2 attempts. But honestly, I won't fly UA again after this.
Honestly, never fly UA because of mechanical issues and a storm delay?? You might as well never fly on any airline as you'll get the same response from all other airlines for issues which they can't control.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1744 posts
1189 upvotes
Canada
Is the typhoon an ominous sign?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4142 posts
481 upvotes
Scarborough
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 1:06 pm
This is why I prefer direct flights, saving couple of hundred dollars might seem good but not worth the hassle.
While the chances are a bit lower, mechanical issues and typhoons can still affect a direct flight.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
1078 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 8:47 am
You went to Korea instead of Japan? Sounds like you changed your entire itinerary? I htink that takes it out of the original plan and itinerary. You made the changes.
Weather is out of the control of the airlines. No compensation for that.
I don't think UA is to blame for your itinerary change and definitely not the weather..

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/tr ... ights.html
I changed it because I had to get to Japan to avoid incurring more costs from cancellations, or so I thought
It was a knee-jerk reaction
Weather wasn't the cause for the delay per se, only for the fact that there were no alternate flights available
My flight to Japan left on time, and did make it to Haneda from ORD
My flight from YYZ to ORD was delayed due to a mechanical issue, so if it was on time, I would have made it to Japan no problem
Raggie wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 9:06 am
Did you have travel insurance? Your flight to HND would've been delayed regardless due to the typhoon. Why did you need a car rental?
I have travel insurance through my Scotiabank Momentum VISA infinite card but it's limited. It would not have been delayed to HND. It arrived on time actually. I needed a car rental because of driving around Hokkaido
WetCoastGuy wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 1:07 pm
Honestly, never fly UA because of mechanical issues and a storm delay?? You might as well never fly on any airline as you'll get the same response from all other airlines for issues which they can't control.
Mechanical issues are preventable and UA should be held accountable for it
Storm delays I understand but the connecting flight from ORD departed on time and was not impacted by the typhoon. So had it not been for the mechanical issue with the plane from YYZ to ORD, i wouldn't be in this mess. This is why I feel that I am owed something cause it was UA's fu|<up
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4952 posts
4098 upvotes
That really sucks. We just got back from our Japan trip last week and missed the typhoon by a couple days.

Our flights were YOW-> IAD -> ORD -> HND but our flight to ORD was cancelled due to a thunderstorm. We ended up staying a night in Washington (at our cost), and flying out to Narita Airport the next morning.

Lost a day in Japan but we made it there .
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1909 posts
801 upvotes
HK
Raggie wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 9:06 am
This is ALWAYS my first question, and it is usually answered with a "insurance coverage through credit card". This is the trend on RFD, and OP confirmed that.

My only recommendation to OP: Vote with your wallet, never fly with United anymore, book the more expensive fares (e.g. direct) and good travel insurance coverage.

I fly often that delays/cancellation is factored into my trip, and I even look forward to it since I will always max out on the compensation (e.g. buy new clothes, eat fancy dinners, sports/show tickets, electronics accessories etc...).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5221 posts
1132 upvotes
Thornhill
That's unfortunate. Did you get in touch with your credit card to see what they offer? Also, a 4 hour delay or 4 days? What is the law for the delays with minimum $$? If it's 4 days in total delay before you could fly I think it's different than a 4 hour delay.
In the past I was always covered by airlines or my credit cards( including hotel, food, transport) due to the delays. Longest was 32 hours. Had many 4-12 hour delays. So I learned to use credit card with adequate coverage. I believe airline is 1st and then credit card supplements the coverage.
From my understanding UA is responsible to get you to your last destination on the next available flight at their expense or to provide adequate reimbursement if they can't do that so that you can rebook. That's on top of the delay $$ which are for the extra incidentals.

As for mechanical issues. I fly a lot and had seen mechanical issues with all airlines ( perhaps 1-2 per year) so don't be so judgemental towards UA. In my experience I can't see any airlines that have more breakdowns.

here's your insurance overview: https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/person ... -card.html

So, when you had the delay, did you call your insurance to see what they can cover? What did they say?? You never stated it in your responses so it feels you never called them to inquire assuming they don't cover much.

Typically you are covered up to 1500/pp for additional ticketing expenses + you had $500/pp to spend for the delay. I believe that's on top of their airline's money provided.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5221 posts
1132 upvotes
Thornhill
McKinsey wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 10:14 am
This is ALWAYS my first question, and it is usually answered with a "insurance coverage through credit card". This is the trend on RFD, and OP confirmed that.

My only recommendation to OP: Vote with your wallet, never fly with United anymore, book the more expensive fares (e.g. direct) and good travel insurance coverage.

I fly often that delays/cancellation is factored into my trip, and I even look forward to it since I will always max out on the compensation (e.g. buy new clothes, eat fancy dinners, sports/show tickets, electronics accessories etc...).
Not quite true on all points you stated and seems like just opinions without the facts.
I would like to be proven otherwise so perhaps you can at least compare your coverage to say TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite or Amex Platinum since you think they are in the "rfd trend" category.
The same companies behind the credit card insurance( I hope you don't think it's the credit cards who really ensure you, unless the bank also in the insurance business which is mostly not the case...) provide the same insurance to the public via travel sites or their portals.

PS. I do not believe any insurance company out there will pay for your electronics since it is not a reasonable expense. Nor are sports shows... The wording is in every TOS . Just because you are/were able to scam the insurance, that doesn't make it ok or better. Nor does it mean anyone should get separate coverage so that they can indulge in partake in the insurance scam.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
1078 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
McKinsey wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 10:14 am

Thanks for the response. My credit card coverage is all that I have. I won't be flying with united anymore after this.
dazz wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 10:34 am
That's unfortunate. Did you get in touch with your credit card to see what they offer? Also, a 4 hour delay or 4 days? What is the law for the delays with minimum $$? If it's 4 days in total delay before you could fly I think it's different than a 4 hour delay.
In the past I was always covered by airlines or my credit cards( including hotel, food, transport) due to the delays. Longest was 32 hours. Had many 4-12 hour delays. So I learned to use credit card with adequate coverage. I believe airline is 1st and then credit card supplements the coverage.
From my understanding UA is responsible to get you to your last destination on the next available flight at their expense or to provide adequate reimbursement if they can't do that so that you can rebook. That's on top of the delay $$ which are for the extra incidentals.

As for mechanical issues. I fly a lot and had seen mechanical issues with all airlines ( perhaps 1-2 per year) so don't be so judgemental towards UA. In my experience I can't see any airlines that have more breakdowns.

here's your insurance overview: https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/person ... -card.html

So, when you had the delay, did you call your insurance to see what they can cover? What did they say?? You never stated it in your responses so it feels you never called them to inquire assuming they don't cover much.

Typically you are covered up to 1500/pp for additional ticketing expenses + you had $500/pp to spend for the delay. I believe that's on top of their airline's money provided.
Haven't gotten in touch with my CC company yet for coverage, but that will be my next step. I just thought that I should pursue the airline first before CC coverage. It was a 4 hour delay on the first flight that lead to a 48 hour delay, so I guess it would be a 48 hour delay. They didn't get me to my final destination (although I accepted an alternate change in itinerary to a different destination close enough where I paid out of pocket to get to my final destination).

I'll try to keep an open mind about airlines and mechanical issues (I've flown to JP before with United previously and also was delayed/missed a connection, but still arrived only couple hours late before), so I'm more salty about it this time around. I didn't call my insurance company yet, but I will do this once I'm back. Still abroad at the moment. Is there a time-window that I need to adhere to?

Anyhow, I'm pursuing the airline at the moment for compensation and seeing if that will get me anywhere. I'm at $700 for travel vouchers but I'm looking for advice to see if
other people think there is more headroom for reimbursement. Thanks for the advice.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3405 posts
2622 upvotes
Lessons learned:

1- Don't transit through the USA when going overseas. Find a nonstop from Canada to get you over the ocean, change planes at the other end if necessary. Avoid dealing with the US CBP unless you're actually going to the US.
2- Don't fly United.
3- The correct term is NON-STOP flight. Avoid the D word.
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Also, the golden arches are McDonald's not MacDonald's. Get it right.