Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

$ 49 - Comprehensive Eye Exam done by an Optometrist -

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2014 10:28 am
Tags:
Nov 2, 2011
849 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
dentists, optometrists, pharmacists, chiropractors .. all those pseudo doctors are all crooks
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1176 posts
84 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
sunny87 wrote: 1. FYI, it's illegal for opticians and technicians to perform an eye examination in Ontario. So it's kind of pointless to try and point out that's its done by an optometrist and not an RO / Tech.

Go wild!
I don't believe this is true, mostly because it is very vague. I know many places where non doctors do a lot of eye exams. Goto a hospital, about 75% tests are done by a technician, doctor walks in, checks chart and eye, writes script and than is off to the next room. Very quick and well oiled so the doctor can see as many patients in as little time.

Techs and opticians cannot write prescriptions though.
May 15, 2012
9 posts
33 upvotes
Hi all

my optometrist in Oshawa charges $60 and that includes any taxes. If you want his info pm me
Banned
May 6, 2014
832 posts
156 upvotes
Westmount, QC
ilapastel wrote: dentists, optometrists, pharmacists, chiropractors .. all those pseudo doctors are all crooks
Dentist ..NO . Removing a wisdom tooth , doing a root canal etc are pretty complicated procedures.

But the rest..yes.

We should let the Opticians do the role of Optometrist, with a bit more training. Optometrist with his fancy O.D degree is nothing but a glorified Optician. Going to school for 4 years to get that BS O.D degree doesn't make them anything more.

We should have either M.D Ophthalmologist or a bit more trained Opticians..not this in between Optometrist crap. You only have 2 schools for O.D ..one in Waterloo and one in Montreal ..they don't want any more schools and don't want any more O.D 's, as they don't more competition, so the current glorified Opticians aka Optometrist, can continue to rip off patients.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
jrychlik wrote: I don't believe this is true, mostly because it is very vague. I know many places where non doctors do a lot of eye exams. Goto a hospital, about 75% tests are done by a technician, doctor walks in, checks chart and eye, writes script and than is off to the next room. Very quick and well oiled so the doctor can see as many patients in as little time.

Techs and opticians cannot write prescriptions though.
Yeah, I've been in and out of hospitals more than cars through a Drive-Thru in the last 2 years with my frail elderly dad and I've seen the "doctor" probably less than 10 minutes. Last time I was there was about a month ago and after spending almost 8 hours in the ER, saw the doctor long enough for him to ask us how are we doing and write a prescription for us which the GP could have done in less time. Mean while the techs or whatever you call them must've been some of the lowest passing grades in their classes as they struggle to put a needle in his arm just to extract some blood for tests. May be he has problematic veins but every time he goes into North York General, he comes out with bruises every where on his arms because the flunkies can't seem to get it right and leave him with multiple puncture wounds. FWIW, he's small and very skinny so that may be a reason, I'm just so disenchanted by how many times he keeps getting poked again and again.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
Supercooled wrote: I'm holding my phone closer and closer to my we. I should schedule an apponent .

Last time I did one was in high school in the 90s. I didn't know what to expect and didn't bring sunglasses wit me! What a challenge to get home at 5pm in the day.
Yeah, same thing happened to me and my dad first time we got those evil "drops". Neither of us was capable of driving home safely for quite a while afterward. :(

Something to bear in mind for those deciding on where to go based on cost - watch out for additional ripoff parking fees, which seems to be a growing trend at medical centres. Some miseries out there are really trying to cash in on our sick and elderly. :( WTH happened to this country?
Banned
May 6, 2014
832 posts
156 upvotes
Westmount, QC
cawkarnold wrote: Hi all

my optometrist in Oshawa charges $60 and that includes any taxes. If you want his info pm me
Good price , if he does a complete eye exam and doesn't try to UPSELL tests, products and services.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Yes but you would need to go to oshawa. Gas aint cheaap dawg!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Bobberts wrote: What do you mean by short-sighted people? I'm thinking of someone who can only see short people. Have issues looking up. As opposed to tall-sighted, can't look down, so steps on people's feet on a constant basis.
It's the opposite of far-sighted people. Short sighted can only see clearly for a shorter distance versus people with normal 20/20 vision.

When you're short sighted, this normally means the eyeball is elongated. The retina is stretched out over this unnecessarily large area, resulting in possible weaknesses, particularly around the edges. Weakness can result in tears, which can degenerate into retinal detachment and ultimately blindness.
- casual gastronomist -
Jan 24, 2008
265 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
*****booradley wrote: Dentist ..NO . Removing a wisdom tooth , doing a root canal etc are pretty complicated procedures.

But the rest..yes.

We should let the Opticians do the role of Optometrist, with a bit more training. Optometrist with his fancy O.D degree is nothing but a glorified Optician. Going to school for 4 years to get that BS O.D degree doesn't make them anything more.

We should have either M.D Ophthalmologist or a bit more trained Opticians..not this in between Optometrist crap. You only have 2 schools for O.D ..one in Waterloo and one in Montreal ..they don't want any more schools and don't want any more O.D 's, as they don't more competition, so the current glorified Opticians aka Optometrist, can continue to rip off patients.
smartcanuckbooradley....Since you don't like the services of optometrists, and you prefer ophthalmologists for your eye care. Perhaps you can get a referral to an ophthalmologist to do your complete eye exam and report back to us all RDFers about their services (eg. thoroughness, costs, upselling any extra costs, total experience). Do not use the waiting period for an appointment as an obstacle for not pursuing this route. Then, your rant about ophthalmologists providing better eye care than optometrist is worth more than words at best. Do us all RDFers a favour, we RDFers are all waiting.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2368 posts
937 upvotes
Ottawa
bmedicky wrote: If you can't read these words, then yes.
I can read it fine and I got my eyes checked this week (somewhere else) and I need glasses for when I work now.
Jul 4, 2008
150 posts
79 upvotes
cawkarnold wrote: Hi all

Hi cawkarnold,

Please tell me the name and address of your optometrist. Tks.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1426 posts
378 upvotes
ilapastel wrote: dentists, optometrists, pharmacists, chiropractors .. all those pseudo doctors are all crooks
lol dont generalized. there are crooks in every professions.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2805 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
Where is the cheapest place in downtown, Toronto?
Kijiji links aren't permitted in signatures. Only links to our BST forum.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
3718 posts
477 upvotes
GTA
I've been here a few times for my eye exam and glasses. The owner is quite friendly and always try to accommodate your budget. His prices are much better than bigger store like Hakim etc...
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2004
1211 posts
740 upvotes
lol
May 18, 2013
12 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
right.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6145 posts
3614 upvotes
Toronto
*****booradley wrote: So basically 6 test's done by qualified O.D for just $ 49.
swirl960 wrote: I actually got my eyes checked there about 2 months ago. I also paid an extra $25 to take a pic of the back of my eyes to check for the nerves.
Umm, lets see now. $49 for a comprehensive exam + $25 for the extra = $74
newt_101 wrote: Downsview/North York.
Just called them: $75. It's not as cheap as the price the OP quoted but as mentioned the quality/thoroughness of the procedure can't be beat.
So are we comparing apples to apples? $74 vs $75?
Given the specificity of the OP's post in non lay terms, I wonder if this is not really self promotion.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)