• Oct 3rd, 2012 11:20 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2002
1738 posts
143 upvotes
North
Just focus on the "out the door price". If not satisfied, go somewhere else for the same car or look for substitute.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5627 posts
1311 upvotes
BC
glggal wrote:
May 29th, 2009 1:02 pm
I got a quote with a $499 Registration fee for VW. Is this normal, negotiable?
Yes, it must be the "document filing fee" that other dealers may call it.

Recently paid one of $39 which I thought was for registering a lien against the new vehicle, as the manufacturer 0.9% financing was utilized.

Could also apply with a lease, but for your own financing or a cash deal, I would say this should be $0.
[OP]
May 3, 2009
10 posts
Ottawa
quick update.....

I have 5 quotes from dealers in the area and every single one of them had a different 'Registration Fee', ranging form $199 to $499.

I am not sure if they are all idiots or just think we as customers are. either way....
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4358 posts
485 upvotes
People need to forget about "waiving" BS fees & just negotiate on the OTD cost. Dealers can "waive" any BS fee, but then they'll discount less/move the numbers around.

At the 2 Honda dealers I worked at, there was no admin fee other than a $5 OMVIC fee, so it varies from dealer to dealer.
Dec 12, 2007
774 posts
3 upvotes
Nanaimo
HP_John wrote:
Jun 1st, 2009 1:31 am
just negotiate on the OTD cost.
+1. It's that simple
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4513 posts
1625 upvotes
Markham
HP_John wrote:
Jun 1st, 2009 1:31 am
People need to forget about "waiving" BS fees & just negotiate on the OTD cost. Dealers can "waive" any BS fee, but then they'll discount less/move the numbers around.

At the 2 Honda dealers I worked at, there was no admin fee other than a $5 OMVIC fee, so it varies from dealer to dealer.
That's true, they'll fudge the numbers elsewhere. Dealer's uses some shady math to let you think you are getting the deal.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1477 posts
76 upvotes
Markham
The only price that is really negotiable is the MSRP of the car. So +1 for just negotiating on the OTD price. Each dealers administration fee is different, just make sure you ask for a break down of everything you are paying for and be sure to ask questions when you dont understand!
Oct 20, 2008
131 posts
4 upvotes
Burnaby
Hi
jasonkwan86 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2009 9:22 am
The only price that is really negotiable is the MSRP of the car. So +1 for just negotiating on the OTD price. Each dealers administration fee is different, just make sure you ask for a break down of everything you are paying for and be sure to ask questions when you dont understand!

If you are paying cash there should be no administration fees, if leased maybe. The dealer pays his costs out of the profit he just made from selling you the car. I bought a 2009 Honda EXL V-6 and there was a $299 admin fee on the invoice, told them to remove, no questions and it was. So why should you put an extra $300-$500 in the dealers pocket? Everything is negotiable, if you don't like the deal, or think you are being fleeced, vote with your feet and walk.

PMM
Sep 1, 2007
32 posts
2 upvotes
I just signed for a Prius and there is a similar $499 "Green" Registration fee. This is on top of the Ontario tire stewardship, OMVIC, Freight and Air Conditioning tax .
I assumed it had something to do with registering a "green" car somewhere but I've looked all over the internet and I can't see anything about that.

This seems invented to me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7917 posts
1338 upvotes
Toronto
I was at a Honda dealership working out the price of a Fit, and the salesguy wanted to add a $888 'dealer protection package'. Apparently this is anti-theft sketching, and nitrogen tire filling, and something else which seemed useless to me. He claimed it was a mandatory fee they have to add to every vehicle, but it was obvious to me it was a pure profit option for them.

If I decide to buy from there, I'm definitely going to insist they remove it entirely, or drop the purchase price of the car accordingly.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3405 posts
441 upvotes
Valleywood
afretes wrote:
May 29th, 2009 1:04 pm
$499 registration for what? We charge $1,360 for freight and pdi, $175 globali and $245 admn fee. You must in an area where there's only "one" VW dealer.
And I would ask $420 for what?

Anything beyond provincial registration fees and maybe a tank of gas are complete purchase contract fluff.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2009
1070 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver
Admin / doc fees are pure dealer profit, and most of them if you negotiate properly will be fine to give that up for a sale.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1009 posts
67 upvotes
Negotiate the best deal and never pay those admin fees
Aug 29, 2012
5 posts
PARRY SOUND
jasonkwan86 wrote:
May 29th, 2009 1:26 pm
It can't be waived, depending on the car, it might be worked into the price of the car. If it bundled all together with some other things then maybe its not so bad.

Here, it is $299 for admin, $5 OMVIC, $65 fuel, $53 PPSA(for leases), and $100 Air Tax. All together that would be $457. Maybe they added it altogether, as for a break down for what that $499 is covering.
Nonsense. Walk.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1030 posts
267 upvotes
Dartmouth
I have never paid one. I don't care if you negotiate an OTD price or have it removed. I am not paying your overhead for selling me a car and I certainly not giving you extra money for doing noting.

Globi is for suckers and if they want to charge me for etching then factory order me a car and don't etch it. If you want me to buy the car on your lot I didn't ASK to have it etched. You don't get to choose what options I take.

Mandatory my a__.