Automotive

49cc Pocket Bikes can you drive them?????

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2009 11:06 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 2, 2009
962 posts
63 upvotes
Bolton

49cc Pocket Bikes can you drive them?????

Hey guys qustion for you all...

I am in the middle of a debate...... Can you drive those 49cc mini pocket bikes on the street I always thought they were illegal....... but apparently you can....

What is the verdict on this yes or no to driving down the road.....Apparently thats why they are made 49cc so you don't need a license?

Help me out please
6 replies
Sep 27, 2008
240 posts
4 upvotes
Scarborough
Its illegal on Public Roads. The minimum cc to drive on public is 250cc. I've seen people with 49cc on the road but you'll be ticketed!!!
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10905 posts
1322 upvotes
Not legal in ON:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... ng/#pocket

Pocket Bikes
Cannot be operated on roads in Ontario.

Pocket bikes are meant for closed circuit use only, not roadways.

These bikes can be imported as "restricted-use motorcycles." However, in order to comply with federal standards, pocket bikes require 17-digit vehicle identification numbers, reflectors and warning labels that clearly state these bikes are intended for off-road use only.

The federal MVSA indicates pocket bikes are not intended for use on public roads

Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2398 posts
52 upvotes
Thornhill
No, they are completely illegal for use on Ontario roads. Don't be stupid and drive them anyways. Someone was hit riding those stupid things down my street, and a car knocked him right over, and the car was not at fault. It was just a 14 year old riding too...the cops had a long talk with the parents...
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1698 posts
54 upvotes
Windsor
had some idiot driving one of them up and down the sidewalk in front of my house at full speed last year...
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14332 posts
1284 upvotes
Oshawa
Yeah, there's some douche kid in my neighborhood who drives one all over the subdivision. Of course, his father put offroad tires and a fart-pipe on a golf cart, so I guess idiocy runs in the family.
× < >