Computers & Electronics

Is 4K on a 75" TV a Must or is 1080p okay?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2017 9:16 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 10, 2008
237 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto

Is 4K on a 75" TV a Must or is 1080p okay?

Hi Guys -

Hope im in the right place. I am looking to buy a 75" TV within the next month and trying to stay under the $2500 mark. Unfortunately, I missed the Costco Sharp 75" 4k tv for $1999.

Having said that, I can purchase The Samsung UN75j6300 for $2200 brand new( http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sam ... 68125.aspx)

The only problem is that this TV isn't 4K. Would you guys jump on it? My viewing distance is approx 12ft - but not sure if I should sink money into something that isnt 4k....any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
35 replies
May 14, 2013
323 posts
233 upvotes
Edmonton
Sorry but if you are in the market for a 75" TV you best be investing in a 4K TV... At that size, the difference in picture between 1080p and 4K is massive. You could get away with getting 1080p on a 50" and below, but once you get to larger sizes... The difference in night and day.

You gotta figure out what your main priority is: Get a large TV OR Get a quality TV?

If its just to get the "biggest" TV you can get your hands on... then by all means settle for the Sammy. If you don't mind the quality in picture 1080p will suit your needs. If you are not technical or anal about picture quality of course it will be fine.

If you are very picky with quality, then you will not find a 75" 4K TV with your budget. You can get a 65" but 75" 4K are well over your budget.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10133 posts
3554 upvotes
4k and HDR are both a must for a 75" TV. It's a shame that you missed out on the Sharp deal however hopefully another deal will come along if you're patient.
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Dec 12, 2016
142 posts
112 upvotes
Greater Canada
Francis21 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 5:21 pm
Thanks, guys! I'll hold out for another deal! Was contemplating because I heard that over a certain viewing distance you can't really tell (see article: http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/4k-ultra ... g-compared) but you're both right. Might as well do it right. Appreciate the help.
Not only do you get increased resolution with 4K but you also get massively increased picture quality with HDR (deeper blacks, brighter colours, greater range of colours, more accurate picture). At that size, you have to get a TV that is both 4K and HDR, especially as HDR live TV will be coming out very soon. 4K Blurays are already in HDR. The 4K gaming consoles (PS4 Pro and Xbox One X) have 4K HDR games.
Advocate For The Removal Of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) From Canada's Water Supply
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13984 posts
2302 upvotes
Toronto
I would get 4K HDR, but that budget will be an issue.

However, if you are going to be sitting fairly far back and you aren't hugely picky, then 1080p can work fine if the TV is half-decent. So, at 12 feet, 1080p would be OK. I have a 1080p projector with a 90" image at 12 feet and have no complaints.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8056 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
I can't believe there isn't at least 20 replies saying "4K is no getter than 1080! I can't see the difference"

Has everyone's opinion finally changed?

OP get the 4K set if you can. If you can't afford it right now then save the extra bit until you can because if you get the 1080P one you'll regret it.

I have a 60" 4K (No HDR as far as I know) tv and although there isn't much content in that format that I've seen, the tv itself does improve the picture quality overall.

Anyone that comes in here and tells you 4K is pointless and that you won't see the difference at the distance you stated doesn't know what they're talking about, so ignore those.
Sep 16, 2006
597 posts
52 upvotes
Pickering
You want 4K. You want HDR. Both these standards are the future and you want them. If you can't afford a 4K HDR TV @ 75" either keep saving up, wait for the price to come down further, or go with a smaller TV. 1080P is not something you should invest in at this point.

I'm sure you know what 4K is, but HDR, in case you don't know, is High Dynamic Range. It increases the brightness and contrast depth dramatically and is fantastic for movies and video games. Xbox 1 S, PS4 Pro and Xbox 1 X support HDR. Not 100% sure about PS4 slim or O.G. PS4/XBONE
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4062 posts
417 upvotes
Calgary
Technological overload. I have Samsung 75" not 4K and it is fine. Aside from a few Netflix, there is no 4K TV content anyway.

Of course 4k is better, but will you really make use of it over the next 5 years??
I apologize to those who don't see humour or perspectives; who think aboriginals, whites, politicians, suicide bombers, aggressive policemen, aggrieved blacks, transsexuals, Alt-righters or any other is perfect. I apologize for all my sins and omissions
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3529 posts
2193 upvotes
GTA
If you do get a 4K TV, make sure it has a good, sharp upscaler as most content today is 1080P or less. Some 4K TV's have a fuzzy/blurry upscaler to 4K.
Sep 16, 2006
597 posts
52 upvotes
Pickering
Cough wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 2:22 pm
Technological overload. I have Samsung 75" not 4K and it is fine. Aside from a few Netflix, there is no 4K TV content anyway.

Of course 4k is better, but will you really make use of it over the next 5 years??
Technically a paralysis tick dancing the hula on top of a rotten potato is "fine" if that's the kind of entertainment that rocks your boat. Also I find your referring to a 1080P TV as "not 4K" to be very descriptive of your level of knowledge on this kind of thing and how much it matters to you (obviously not very much at all).

There is a lot more than 4K netflix.

-Youtube
-4K Bluray
-4K Netflix
-4K Gaming

etc etc etc.

You do realize that some people don't even have cable any more right? Netflix could be 90% of what the OP will watch on this TV.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6548 posts
898 upvotes
Agree, is funny no one asked OP what is the plan with the TV, cable, Netfix, gaming, etc... ??

4K is great but if all you plan to do is watch HD cable which is 1080p or Kodi then you may be sinking money into something you wouldn't be using much.

Some will say get 4K to future proof but Japan is already onto 8k / 10k and it is very likely that is coming in a few years so how do you keep up ??

I am old enough to remember people putting $10k on a big Plasma not too long ago, so personally I would stuck to your budget or even go less.

In a few years when more 4K content is more widely available, the TVs will be much cheaper too.
Cough wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 2:22 pm

Last edited by hdom on Jul 11th, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Jul 10, 2017
1 posts
I'd say if you are investing that much amount of money then it's better to buy a 4K then only 1080p AND on 75" you can easily notice the difference between 4K and 1080p. I have seen it myself at a supermarket and I was amazed to see the difference between two.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13984 posts
2302 upvotes
Toronto
His budget won't support a decent 4K HDR TV. In that context, esp. with a 12 foot seating distance, 1080p is fine.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4062 posts
417 upvotes
Calgary
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 11:07 pm
Technically a paralysis tick dancing the hula on top of a rotten potato is "fine" if that's the kind of entertainment that rocks your boat. Also I find your referring to a 1080P TV as "not 4K" to be very descriptive of your level of knowledge on this kind of thing and how much it matters to you (obviously not very much at all).

There is a lot more than 4K netflix.

-Youtube
-4K Bluray
-4K Netflix
-4K Gaming

etc etc etc.

You do realize that some people don't even have cable any more right? Netflix could be 90% of what the OP will watch on this TV.
Wow, thanks for your polite note, kid.
I apologize to those who don't see humour or perspectives; who think aboriginals, whites, politicians, suicide bombers, aggressive policemen, aggrieved blacks, transsexuals, Alt-righters or any other is perfect. I apologize for all my sins and omissions